Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 08:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sold the canon 50L and customer not happy..

elleana
155 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 09, 2013 22:25 |  #106

Salma wrote in post #16359353 (external link)
This is what's worrying me so bad. To save a bit of £££ he has 'borrowed' my lens instead of using a hire company. I could be wrong but come on a few days? I am not a camera company. This is taking the piss now. Pardon me.

I can't explain how infuriated I am, I mean I am more than happy to take it back but now he is saying 'give me a few days to shoot'.

Fixed it for you :cool:

6D | EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

sponsored links
clarkent1
134 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 10, 2013 00:01 |  #107

I would have started this entire thing by sending him to a store to compare to a display 50L

EVERYONE knows that the 1.2 is soft at 1.2. IT IS NOT softer than mine. 2011 model.

Someone who needs time= doesn't know what they are doing and are having doubts.

Its up to you if you want to refund this fool for some good karma...but I wouldn't.

Canon 5D Mark III - 35L - 50L - 85L II

clarkent1
134 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 10, 2013 00:11 |  #108

ask for some samples photos he took, preferably a raw file, lets see whats happening in the exif.

The fact is: you will see very very little difference in any 50mm lens on the planet. IMO.

Canon 5D Mark III - 35L - 50L - 85L II

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 10, 2013 05:01 |  #109

Hello guys. The guy has accepted to keep the lens so long as I refund him part of the calibration cost. He said £55 refund and he will get the lens sent for repair.

I am happy with this and so is he.

Finally the damn headache is over.

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

PitaDaVespa
82 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 10, 2013 05:09 |  #110

Salma,

You shouldn't do that!!

First, calibrating a lens and body it's not so expensive. It should be something around £30, at most. The price they gave you must be in case it needs some repair. Calibration has nothing to do with that.

Second, it may not be a lens problem! It is just that that specific lens with his specific body need to be calibrated. BOTH! Not just the lens. So, it is NOT your fault!

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 10, 2013 05:15 |  #111
bannedPermanent ban

PitaDaVespa wrote in post #16359998 (external link)
Salma,

You shouldn't do that!!

First, calibrating a lens and body it's not so expensive. It should be something around £30, at most. The price they gave you must be in case it needs some repair. Calibration has nothing to do with that.

Second, it may not be a lens problem! It is just that that specific lens with his specific body need to be calibrated. BOTH! Not just the lens. So, it is NOT your fault!

+1

There's no gaurantee that the lens is going to be sharper even after calibration.

As stated by many others, this lens is known to be soft at MDF wide open, and whether a lens is sharp or not in general is highly subjective and depends on the body he uses.

Whether or not he wants to calibrate the lens is his problem, you shouldn't pay him for that.

I'd just ignore him at the get go...

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 10, 2013 05:19 |  #112

I've refunded him £55 now, I really can't be bothered to drag this on anymore. I did email fixation yesterday and also speak to someone on the phone and he said that that calibration can cost between £90-£130 which is why I did what I did.

Since that delivery of the lens I have been really stressed out I can finally relax now.

I may sound very stupid right now but I honestly feel like this heavy burden has been lifted from me lol.

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

PitaDaVespa
82 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 10, 2013 05:28 |  #113

Salma wrote in post #16360014 (external link)
I've refunded him £55 now, I really can't be bothered to drag this on anymore. I did email fixation yesterday and also speak to someone on the phone and he said that that calibration can cost between £90-£130 which is why I did what I did.

Since that delivery of the lens I have been really stressed out I can finally relax now.

I may sound very stupid right now but I honestly feel like this heavy burden has been lifted from me lol.

Well, if it's done, it's done. Relax.
The most importat thing, after all, is that you're a kind and honest person.

Cheers,
Luis

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 10, 2013 05:39 |  #114

PitaDaVespa wrote in post #16360018 (external link)
Well, if it's done, it's done. Relax.
The most importat thing, after all, is that you're a kind and honest person.

Cheers,
Luis

bw! Thank you :D

Furlan
738 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 10, 2013 05:56 |  #115

Salma you handled this situation very well. Buyer and seller coming to terms is the best way to go on
E-Bay. E-Bay and Pay-Pal will side with the buyer ninety-nine percent of the time so seller beware. Most
of the advice you received on this thread was worthless no clue as how E-Bay actually works.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 10, 2013 06:16 |  #116

I just got this email from fixation. The buyer really needed to do his research and so did I lol.

Hi Salma,

J*** here, the person behind the Fixation twitter page.

I spoke to a technician about your images and we looked at them together. In his opinion your lens is performing as we would expect it to as there are a few important things to be aware of with the 50mm.

1. At maximum aperture f1.2 the lens will deliver lower contrast in your images. This is clear in your last picture of the young girl, we zoomed in on the picture and there is plenty of sharp detail on her hair and definition in her eyebrows and the velvet bow however the detail doesn't "pop" as the colours do not have much contrast. This should be possible to bring back with some subtle contrast adjustment and sharpening in photoshop or similar post-production software.

2. Very well demonstrated in your series of jewellery images; as you open the aperture the plane of focus moves slightly. At smaller appertures this does not often affect image quality as the depth of field is wide enough to compensate but with the lens wide open this can cause significant focus inaccuracy.

3. The depth of field is incredibly shallow. At the lens' closest focusing distance 45cm the depth of field is only 3mm, any detail outside of that narrow range will begin to blur and foreground detail may further soften the area inside your plane of focus.

I can see all 3 of these issues causing an effect on your images, especially the progression of jewellery images, which range from higher contrast with a broader depth of field at 2.4 to a softer more ethereal look at 1.2 which still retains edge sharpness on a small slice of the image visible in the fourth bead from the left.

For your studio, tripod set-up the technician had one recommendation, rather than relying on the cameras autofocus system you may get better results focusing manually with live-view, this can be zoomed in 10x and you can see the image as it is projected on the sensor so you can be sure that the right point is truly focussed, this will give you a greater amount of control.

I hope this has helped, if you have any further queries don't hesitate to email me direct on:

PitaDaVespa
82 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 10, 2013 06:19 |  #117

Furlan wrote in post #16360044 (external link)
Salma you handled this situation very well. Buyer and seller coming to terms is the best way to go on
E-Bay. E-Bay and Pay-Pal will side with the buyer ninety-nine percent of the time so seller beware. Most
of the advice you received on this thread was worthless no clue as how E-Bay actually works.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree.
The lens had no problem whatsoever, so the seller had absolutely no obligation to parcial refund the buyer.
In this case, the bayer didn't know what he was buying, didn't know how to use it right, doesn't know how a slr camera+lens work or took advange of the sellers good faith.

I would agree if the seller accepted to receive the camera back, in the same condition she sent it, and refund the buyer except for the postage costs, though.

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Oct 10, 2013 06:59 |  #118

Sry but i think this topic is closed. It came as best as it could in such a difficult situation. I think salma has done it very nice. Id rather get 55$ less than a lens back which i selled and then notice it was a scamming atack whatever.

I think no more headache is 55$ worth

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 10, 2013 07:09 |  #119
bannedPermanent ban

PitaDaVespa wrote in post #16359998 (external link)
Salma,

You shouldn't do that!!

Tell me where you can get a lens calibrated for £30.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 10, 2013 07:10 |  #120
bannedPermanent ban

Furlan wrote in post #16360044 (external link)

+1000. and I am glad most people here with their extreme advice does not use e-bay...I'd hate to do business with them.

sponsored links

15,803 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sold the canon 50L and customer not happy..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.