Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 13 Oct 2013 (Sunday) 05:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good 27 or 30inch monitor for photography and gaming?

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 13, 2013 05:21 |  #1

Hi.

Anyone recommend me a good IPS panel monitor that offers fantastic colour accuracy for photo editing, easy on the eye to read text and code, And finally for gaming in general.

budget is around £800 max for a high quality monitor.

I already have a Dell U2410 which is a fine monitor so anything as good if not better on a 27/30inch scale is ideal.

Thanks

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 14, 2013 03:03 |  #2

U2710/2712 perhaps. Though why do you want a monitor that big, the pixels will be enormous, and you have to sit miles away so you don't hurt your neck constantly looking to see the whole monitor. I have a 2212HM and that's plenty big enough, though I'd like it slightly taller not HD video size but I got it because it was pretty cheap. I have two of 'em at work and I really only use one at a time.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Moppie
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 14, 2013 06:06 |  #3

The pixel density is actually higher on the 27in LG panels than it is on the 24in ones.
That means the pixels are smaller, so you fit more content in into more space.
And if you sit at a proper distance then you don't have to move your head around.

I run a 2711 and a 2410 next to each other, the 2711 has noticeably smaller pixel pitch than the 2410, and noticeably higher resolution to match.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

jonneymendoza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 14, 2013 10:01 |  #4

Moppie wrote in post #16369400 (external link)
The pixel density is actually higher on the 27in LG panels than it is on the 24in ones.
That means the pixels are smaller, so you fit more content in into more space.
And if you sit at a proper distance then you don't have to move your head around.

I run a 2711 and a 2410 next to each other, the 2711 has noticeably smaller pixel pitch than the 2410, and noticeably higher resolution to match.

+1

pretty much this. If you are serious about editing pics, a 27inch is a must, if not bigger.

Why do you think many love using 27 inch imac for photo editing?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 14, 2013 12:39 |  #5

Consider that photography support is about sharp, accurate color reproduction in narrow or wide gamuts.

Supoort for gaming is about fast refresh rates (not needed for photography support). Gaming likely only needs narrow gamut support.

Those are two very different sets of requirements. The compromise is get a fast refresh rate screen and then color calibrate it with Spyder or Munki. Decide the gamut before making the purchase.

Moppie
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 14, 2013 16:08 |  #6

Fast refresh rates in monitors are a marketing gimmick.
I do plenty of gaming on my apparently very slow 2711 and can't tell the difference from when I used a very fast (instant response) CRT.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

jonneymendoza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 14, 2013 16:48 |  #7

Moppie wrote in post #16370868 (external link)
Fast refresh rates in monitors are a marketing gimmick.
I do plenty of gaming on my apparently very slow 2711 and can't tell the difference from when I used a very fast (instant response) CRT.

Well said.

I game on the 24 inch version of your monitor and yet i dont notice any issues whatsoever.

Basically i am looking at the same quality as my 24inch but 27inch. If i can get something that completely blows away my 24inch for gaming and photography, this is why this thread was created

sponsored links

902 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good 27 or 30inch monitor for photography and gaming?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.