Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 30 Jan 2006 (Monday) 05:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE: Tim comes visiting

tim
Light Bringer
50,923 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 30, 2006 05:20 |  #1

The messiah returns... :p ;)

Ok lets get this discussion into one thread rather than spread out across four like it is now.

I'm up in Auckland next weekend, i'd like to meet up with all you guys for a drink or something on Saturday (11th Feb). I'm thinking a few hours Saturday mid/late afternoon or early evening, as I have plans to go out in town sat nt, and i'm pretty busy the rest of the time. The two options for location seem to be Scott's place (thanks for the offer) or in town - either my hotel or a bar nearby (i'm staying in Quest Hotel on Queen St). My knowledge of Auckland consists of driving towards the sky tower or follwing the little plane signs to the airport, but i'll probably have a lass along who knows the city quite well.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Availability?

I suspect i'll be in Auckland more regularly for a little while.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
MattL
Goldmember
1,159 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 30, 2006 05:26 |  #2

Where does Scott live? Im sure its closer to me than town. I vote for his place.
Its easy to get out this way.
You take the little plane sign exit from town, but instead of going to the right under the motorway, you keep left and go thatway.

I think I'd like first dibs on this monitor calib gizmo - Im about to spend half a grand on couple of big prints, imagine if the colour was off! :S

Matt

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,923 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 30, 2006 05:35 |  #3

$250 each for those prints? That's gota eat into your profit margin!

I don't really mind if we go to Scott's or go into town, if it's at Scotts i'll probably just arrive a little earlier and leave a little earlier so I get into town at the right time :) Pretty much anywhere you go in Auckland involves a pretty long drive I figure...

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

MattL
Goldmember
1,159 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 30, 2006 05:39 |  #4

$250 each? not quite - Im getting 4 printed, and each with different mounts etc etc.

Matt

Moppie
14,744 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 30, 2006 11:56 |  #5

Ill also put in a Vote for Scotts, since its so close to so many of us, and I would also love to have a play with your calibration gizmo.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

iKirst
HelloO Nurse!
3,601 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 30, 2006 14:42 |  #6

I'll go where the masses suggest...

www.iKirst.com (external link)

~
I'm like a Slinky - not much good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see me tumble down the stairs ~
~ Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci ~

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 30, 2006 15:33 |  #7

I can walk to Scott's house (I think...) or I can take 3-4 people into town if they don't mind squeezing into the car... whichever suits.

Now, do we take a plate each, drinks and stuff? Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out the Kiwi thing to do... it just changes so much from house to house, and from time to time ;-)a

John;)

Believe... Work hard... and it will happen!

My Gear

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,923 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 30, 2006 15:37 |  #8

If it's at Scotts house i'll not be drinking because i'm driving... which isn't a problem... i'll have a "few" drink later that evening...

Since it's a short thing i'd probably say bring what you want to drink, and snacks if you want any. Up to Scott really. I think Scott said he had a pool so bring something to swim in if you like.

iKirst
HelloO Nurse!
3,601 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 30, 2006 15:38 as a reply to  @ dgcorner's post |  #9

dgcorner wrote:
Now, do we take a plate each, drinks and stuff? Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out the Kiwi thing to do... it just changes so much from house to house, and from time to time ;-)a

Fair Q, what do we bring?
I know BYOC is a given, but that only feeds the creative sides, not stomachs or bladders.
Perhaps we're all big enough to look after our needs, eh ;)

www.iKirst.com (external link)

~
I'm like a Slinky - not much good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see me tumble down the stairs ~
~ Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci ~

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 30, 2006 16:20 |  #10

DId any of you see that flap with someone posting one of CharlesU's pics on DPReview? https://photography-on-the.net …=132849&highlig​ht=Charles

The culprit apparently is local... but an ex-POTN member... Wazza, MattL and I managed to put our 2cents worth in it... and sent our apologies to CharlesU... Moppie, Scott, the guy lives a few minutes from us...

EDIT: OOPS, why is it that I'm always 12 hours late... or something.... must be having to do with being married and with kids...

John;)

My Gear

MattL
Goldmember
1,159 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 30, 2006 16:23 |  #11

Yeah I saw that. He has an xtra email address in his profile on DPR.

John I think its about time I got off my ass and came down to meet you. What do you think?

Matt

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 30, 2006 20:11 |  #12

Yep, it will be good to meet you considering that we're neighbours!

Just say when... I still have a week of baby sitting before the kids are back in school.

Cheers!

John;)

My Gear

MattL
Goldmember
1,159 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 30, 2006 20:25 |  #13

Im just about to leave with a couple mates, going to abseil Hunua falls.. again.
Ill see what time we get back tonight. Our cars full, but if you wanted to come take photos of us abseiling and the waterfall, your most welcome!

Matt

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 30, 2006 20:42 |  #14

I kinda figured that I'd miss stuff like this when I got married and had kids... not that I'm complaining ;-)a There are perks and then there are perks...

Have fun, keep safe and bring back some pics.

Cheers!

John;)

My Gear

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,135 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Jan 30, 2006 22:48 as a reply to  @ MattL's post |  #15

MattL wrote:
Im just about to leave with a couple mates, going to abseil Hunua falls.. again.
Ill see what time we get back tonight. Our cars full, but if you wanted to come take photos of us abseiling and the waterfall, your most welcome!

Oh man, if I didn't have 2500 photos to sort through, I would come and check it out :(

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

sponsored links

9,532 views & 0 likes for this thread
GKPE: Tim comes visiting
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.