Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Oct 2013 (Friday) 18:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography frustration

Aki78
961 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 26, 2013 00:21 |  #16

drewl wrote in post #16399900 (external link)
cameras have manuals?

As in booklet that I never tend to read?

OP I started with the 20D back in '06 and still to this day there's so much to learn but in a fun way of course! Jealous you have the 5DMKIII but honestly I agree with others; you can't learn everything. Even if you did you can't cover every areas of photography in a lifetime is the way I see it.

Have fun with the amazing camera :D

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 26, 2013 01:14 |  #17

britt777 wrote in post #16399617 (external link)
Lol...people crack me up....guess that's the difference between amateur and professional. I like to know what every single setting on my camera is for and can do. Whether it's a $50 camera or $50,000 camera. Nothing wrong with that. Should have known better than to post.

Heh! Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate "ignorance" about your gear. When I got my first DSLR (a 30D) I read and re-read the manual, I got books that covered digital SLRs and the 30D specifically, I was big on reading, but that didn't mean I couldn't get out and practice what I was learning!

My next DSLR, the 5D (Mark 1, the "Classic") was pretty much a breeze to hit the ground running, because it was of the same "generation" as the 30D and used much of the same technology. Yes, it had some differences, but a couple reads in the manual and then more "casual" online stuff got me caught up pretty quickly.

Things changed with my next camera, the 1D Mark III. It wasn't a "new generation" of my old 30D and 5DC, it was a big step up in the technology and features that the 1D series gets loaded with! So, a whole new process of learning the new technology and features and how to use them. Added to that, the early releases of the camera had "issues", and we all had to learn about those issues and how to evaluate our cameras accordingly, well, those were fun times, hours spent here in POTN and other places, pursuing that "learning curve", fun times, and then hours spent out shooting and evaluating the dang camera!

The good news, though, is that even with the 1D3 and, similarly, the 5D3, you can still get off to a running start because the essentials are all in place, the controls to get a good shot are all in place, even if you can't yet "fine-tune" some things, you can still nail the shots you nailed before you got the "Beast" unless, of course, you get carried away tweaking some new Custom Function in a way that messes things up!

So, the "moral" of that story is, get out and shoot, read up on things, and don't tweak new stuff until not only you understand, but you are out there shooting to test and verify what those new settings actually do! Until then, you really can shoot that 5D3 as if it was a 20D!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Nissanfairladyz32
440 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 26, 2013 01:18 |  #18

Lots of people would love to be in your shoes with a mark III, Go out and use it, Coming from another DSLR the basic's should all be the same, Who cars if you don't "know it all" I don't know half the things my 5d can do, but i know the basics

www.jamesmcguirephotog​raphy.com (external link)
5DIII / 24-70 2.8 ISL / 70-200 F2.8 IsII L / Flash = YN-560 III / YN-565

Tessa
Playing with fire
1,806 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 26, 2013 02:03 as a reply to  @ Nissanfairladyz32's post |  #19

Old and new cameras are like old and new cars. Sounds like a silly comparison, but hear me out...

With older cars it was fairly simple: you got in; there was a steering wheel, gear lever, pedals, a few mechanical adjustments to the seat, some buttons for heat/ventilation, maybe a radio and that was about it.

With new high end cars the drivers seat alone has a silly amount of options: heating, ventilation, perhaps massage; you can electrically adjust it in dozens of different ways and commit those settings to memory; etc. And then there are all the other things: screens, buttons, Bluetooth, cameras, parking sensors, self-tinting mirrors, adjustable suspension, intelligent high beams, and so on and on and on...

You can get in the new car and drive without knowing most of those things, but you can also take the time to learn everything you can before speeding off. Knowing at least some of the details makes the driving experience much more enjoyable, but not knowing wouldn't stop you from driving. It's all about how much you want to know.

Okay, feel free to laugh at the silly lady :lol:

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 26, 2013 02:13 |  #20

Tessa, that was a nice analogy!:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 26, 2013 05:56 |  #21

TooManyShots wrote in post #16399580 (external link)
Heheheh...no way. A 3k camera should do more than that!!!! :)

I disagree...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 26, 2013 09:55 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

edge100 wrote in post #16400216 (external link)
I disagree...

Why? A 10k worth of camera kit and does not have liveview and video???

I am just joking. :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 26, 2013 09:59 |  #23

Watch the videos to learn about some feature/control which is available, then immediately go out and shoot using that feature/control...Thin​k of it like attending a class, then going out and doing homework! Practice...It reinforces what you learned from your 'teacher'.
You might discover that a particular feature/control has no benefit for you, so ignore it (but your brain remembers it is there, if you later have a need to find it) But many features/controls simply do not need to be immediately discovered...it can take years before you find a need for it.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 26, 2013 10:17 |  #24

edge100 wrote in post #16400216 (external link)
I disagree...

Leica - The Chewbacca defense of the photography world.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,980 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 26, 2013 10:43 |  #25

britt777 wrote in post #16399297 (external link)
My frustration is, I feel like I spend more time reading and watching videos on how to use these cameras than I do getting to take pictures. Is it just me or do others have the same frustration?

Usually, when people are frustrated, it is over things that they have no control over. They are frustrated because they don't like the way something is, yet they are not in a position to do anything about it. Here, it looks like you are frustrated with . . . yourself! There is no need to continue on in frustration. If reading your manual instead of shooting is frustrating you, then put the manual away and go out and shoot - problem solved!

I received a 1D mark 4 last week. It has been my first piece of new gear in over 3 years. Within the past week, I have shot about a thousand images. I have yet to even see the manual . . . I'm sure it's in the box somewhere, but all I had to do is pull the camera out of the box, charge the battery, scroll thru the menus to set it up the way I want, and go shoot! Grand total of half an hour to learn what I needed to know. Maybe someday I will go read the manual . . . maybe not.

As someone already said, all you really need to know is how to set aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. Anything beyond that is not necessary. Sure, you may eventually want to learn some of the other features, but you don't need to know them in order to go out and create some excellent images.

If you're frustrated at yourself for not shooting, then go shoot. Seems pretty simple to me.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 26, 2013 10:49 |  #26

Here's my recipe:

1. Browse the manual for an hour or so
  2. Shoot, shoot, shoot and get in trouble
  3. Read sections of the manual carefully
  4. Check other sources for help
  5. Repeat steps two, three and four

If eventually a bit bored, find ways to get in more trouble.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

jkdjedi
341 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 26, 2013 10:54 |  #27

britt777 wrote in post #16399297 (external link)
So I just picked up my first full frame digital camera (5D Mark III)
I started with the 20D and had several others, but all crop cameras.

My frustration is, I feel like I spend more time reading and watching videos on how to use these cameras than I do getting to take pictures. Is it just me or do others have the same frustration?

Take the camera out for a spin, pick an event or subject for the day and shoot and shoot. Pretend your working for National Geographic, Time Magazine, Sports Illustrated, etc.. and have FUN! Save all your pics and study why the bad ones came out bad and understand why the good ones came out good. Enjoy your hobby.

http://www.fernandezim​ages.com/ (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 26, 2013 12:46 |  #28

TooManyShots wrote in post #16400594 (external link)
Why? A 10k worth of camera kit and does not have liveview and video???

I am just joking. :)

Or have a sensor at all.

I know. ;)

Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 26, 2013 12:47 |  #29

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16400638 (external link)
Leica - The Chewbacca defense of the photography world.

Yep.

That explains why none of the best street photography, documentary and editorial photography or photojournalism of the last 100 years was taken with Leica cameras or lenses.

It's a wonder they don't just shut down the whole operation.

jkdjedi
341 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 26, 2013 12:56 |  #30

edge100 wrote in post #16400974 (external link)
Yep.

That explains why none of the best street photography, documentary and editorial photography or photojournalism of the last 100 years was taken with Leica cameras or lenses.

It's a wonder they don't just shut down the whole operation.

ShootTokyo.com

http://www.fernandezim​ages.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,998 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography frustration
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.