Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 26 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 10:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mavericks corrupts external hard drives!

amoergosum
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 26, 2013 10:26 |  #1

This is just unbelievable.
I updated to Mavericks and am scared to connect my hard drives now (I'm using Western Digital Elements though).
Apparently Mavericks corrupts Western Digital Mybook Studio ll hard drives.

>>>

There's one thread over at Western digitals forum, and one thread at apple discussions. Beware, mavericks kills some external hard drives. Lots of people using WD mybook studio ll have had their drives reset and lost all data.

https://discussions.ap​ple.com/message/234993​57#23499357 (external link)
http://community.wd.co​m …ook-Studio-II/td-p/602387 (external link)

Source:
http://forums.macrumor​s.com …p?p=18234886#po​st18234886 (external link)

sponsored links
MCAsan
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 26, 2013 13:11 |  #2

First, you should have a backup via Time Machine before doing any upgrades. Os worse case, you do Mavericks, connect the drive, use Disk Utility to reformat it, and then do a restore from Time Machine.

SethWilliams
128 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2013 18:55 |  #3

I haven't had any problems with my Seagate containing all of my Time Machine backups.

5D MK II x2 | 35L f1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 135L f2

amoergosum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 27, 2013 02:47 |  #4

I own one Western Digital Mybook Studio hard drive. It's the first version though.
There were no problems when I connected it. I've noticed though when I've tried to eject it from the Finder the icon disappears from the desktop but the hard drive continues to spin. So there's another bug.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,019 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 27, 2013 04:59 |  #5

I have one hitachi and one WD external drive and haven't had any problems at all.

Gear
Website (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,395 posts
Gallery: 317 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 27, 2013 05:15 |  #6

From what I understand it happens with WD drives only. Probably the so called smartware crap they put on their drives.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

killwilly
866 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 27, 2013 05:24 as a reply to  @ ShotByTom's post |  #7

I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex external hard drive that I use for backup and was wondering if I should format the drive before I do my next backup. I downloaded Mavericks this morning, so would have liked to backup within the next couple of days. What do you guys think?

Alan. flickr (external link)
---------------
Canon 7D. Canon 15-85 EF-S Lens. Canon 55-250 EF-S Lens. Speedlite 430ex 11.
Canon EOS-M. Canon 18-55 EF-M Lens. Speedlite 90EX.
Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 27, 2013 07:39 |  #8

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #16402398 (external link)
From what I understand it happens with WD drives only. Probably the so called smartware crap they put on their drives.

Yep, the first thing to do with any new drive is reformat it with Disk Utility removing any/all programs from the vendor.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,395 posts
Gallery: 317 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 27, 2013 08:35 |  #9

MCAsan wrote in post #16402572 (external link)
Yep, the first thing to do with any new drive is reformat it with Disk Utility removing any/all programs from the vendor.

The problem is that WD's smartware will not be gone with a simple reformatting.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 27, 2013 11:45 |  #10

amoergosum wrote in post #16400663 (external link)
This is just unbelievable.

I stopped buying WD hard drives years ago because of their failure rates. Hitachi and Samsung for me. Also, I never buy canned drives - separate enclosures and drives, then assemble them myself. Much safer in case of a failure.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 27, 2013 12:23 |  #11

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #16402653 (external link)
The problem is that WD's smartware will not be gone with a simple reformatting.

Great reason to go Seagate Barracuda.

R1200GS
377 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 27, 2013 18:13 |  #12

My Buffalo survived the upgrade

amoergosum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 30, 2013 03:40 as a reply to  @ R1200GS's post |  #13

Here are some quotes from the Western Digital forum. I think it's unbelievable that WD hasn't hasn't issued a warning on their website yet. So customers keep loosing their data >>>

Help, my 6T raid (2 x 3T) external mac hard disk suddenly become no content in it?

I have just lost everything from my 6TB HD

Yesterday morning after starting my mac I found that all data is gone from My Book Studio II - the volume name has reverted to the default one, the drive is empty, WD RAID manager reports all healthy with 0% space used.

I also got this problem after installing Mavericks yesterday...this morning I almost got some heart faliure...
I Checked the WD with DiskDrill, and all the files are there and recoverable. (tested on a small amount, but no file structure....13 yrs of files in erratic order...oj oj. )

Same happened to me with mavericks (also RAID1), I had to reformat the drive.

Same thing happened to me with a WD My Book Studio Edition II 6TB. After calling WD numerous times they gave up and asked me to ask Apple what Mavericks does to their raid drive and to try recovering my data with a recovery software. 5TB archive gone at the moment, with a partial backup. I've never seen anything like this. Very serious and desperate situation.

As soon as I installed OS X 9.0 I received an error message that my WD External drive was not compatible, and since then all backups have failed.

My drive was killed too. Looked just like ccontreras' screen shot, with that EFI volume as well.

RAID 0, My Book Studio II 6 TB, connected via Apple's Thunderbolt-to-FireWire-800 adapter.

After the inital install of Mavericks everything was okay.

After restarting "Poof" Data gone. The WD Raid Manager kicked in and all was lost. Now there is one partition called EFI and one called MyBook.

I am in the same situation, cannot find any data on the My Book Studio, this is ridiculus.

Same to me. All data are gone after installing the Maverisks. I can read the content after installing Maverisks. But after I start my iMac tonite, all data are gone. But, the data in other WD external disk are still there. Only the one with raid 1 are gone.

And here are some quotes from the Apple forum >>>

I have experienced the same problem. I've lost 22 TB of data on multiple external drives (firewire, eSATA, USB) and some multiple times just as I rebuilding them. I disconnected a 6TB WD MyBook.

I just now lost an INTERNAL 4TB hard drive (replaced with an empty MyBook partition plus an EFI showing in sidebar of Finder) which has a Drobo NAS backup.

I have just another example of the update to OS X 10.9 causing hard drives to be displayed as empty.

Update completed on the MacBook Pro without problem but after restarting 4 hard drives where first renamed as 'EFI' and then renamed as 'mybook'.

1 drive was a WD MyBook connected via firewire. 2 where Samsung s2 portables, and 1 was a Seagate. These were connected via USB.

I have similar issues. I use two WD MyBook external drives which I created a raid 0 in Mountain Lion's disk utility. After Mavericks install I'm unable to mount the raid partition even though it is recognized in disk utility and the raid is "online".

as I've mentioned above I encountered the same problem, but with the combination Firewire MyBook Studio II + WD Software + USB Mybook + Mavericks. So it can't really be Firewire / Thunderbolt related for USB is also affected.

Totally agree with you. I've lost my 5 TB (backups, iTunes media, DVD, CD archive and 20 years of my software projects and even more resources, paid articles/books/librari​es etc.) this morning. Everything was fine last night. Today, system erased everything without any warning!!!

I am also in the same situation, I'm desperate, I have 13 years of photos and videos LOST!
The second backup disk is a WD and therefore this has been canceled.

alpine2306
243 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 30, 2013 06:48 |  #14

Interesting...
Have a couple of WD drives so surely going to have to look into this.

sansational
Reverse Psychologist
2,384 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 30, 2013 22:55 |  #15

Ahh, I made a Facebook post about this (losing data on my WD My Passport) on October 24th, but most people said they didn't notice anything. Now I've come across a linkedin post, some stuff on macrumors, and now this. I hope there's something I can do to fix this.

Andrew
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

7,304 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mavericks corrupts external hard drives!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.