Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Oct 2013 (Monday) 11:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I can't appreciate B&W photos

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 28, 2013 11:28 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Don't know if it's just me but I can't appreciate B&W photos like others here.

I can understand how others enjoy B&W and play of dark and light tones, but for me I usually take a cursory look at them and leave. Is there something wrong with me ;)

Don't get me wrong, there is definite skill involved in creating a good B&W vs a bad one. Just not for me. Anyone else think like me?

sponsored links
silvrr
Goldmember
2,755 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 28, 2013 11:34 |  #2

Have you seen any good B&W work. Specifically some film B&W work? Yousuf Karsh did some amazing work in B&W. I saw some of his work in print at the AIC and was amazed. A lot of B&W work viewed on a monitor doesn't do it for me, especially on my crappy work monitors.

Past Sale Feedback

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 28, 2013 11:37 |  #3

It's obviously perfectly fine to have a preference for color photos. And I've definitely had wedding couples (I shoot weddings) who mentioned they weren't really fans of B&W so I didn't return any to them.

What do you think of black and white movies ? Do you also feel repelled by them ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 28, 2013 11:38 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Personally, I didn't like BW until I was shooting in BW film. I don't like digital BW photos. Most of the time, the look is too clean. It does not convey any sense of the "classic look." Tonal ranges are not evenly spread. Usually, they are ending up looking very greyish. A correctly exposed and developed BW photo (or printed) should have a very wide tonal range latitude. Deep shadows with details to the whitish looking clouds.

BW photo is easier to shoot, even in a cloudy, overcast day. You can always get the highlight to shine in the development (film). To get the highlight to "pop" in color or digital, in a cloudy day or with lighting condition less than ideal, is very difficult.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

CanonVsNikon
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 28, 2013 11:46 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Whenever someone posts a B&W vs color version of same photo I always prefer the color one. It's just me.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,754 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2013 11:51 |  #6

I have shot and printed B&W and color for decades and the idea that B&W film is easier than color to do well is just WRONG. B&W is infinitely more difficult to do well. With color print either the color is right or it looks funny. With B&W you have an infinite amount of creative choices that you don't have with color.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 28, 2013 11:56 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16405546 (external link)
I have shot and printed B&W and color for decades and the idea that B&W film is easier than color to do well is just WRONG. B&W is infinitely more difficult to do well. With color print either the color is right or it looks funny. With B&W you have an infinite amount of creative choices that you don't have with color.

Easier because you have more controls how you want the photo to look. There are a lot of developers to choose from as well as film options. And the development times are all different.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,804 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 28, 2013 12:00 |  #8

TooManyShots wrote in post #16405559 (external link)
Easier because you have more controls . . .

Having many choices can make a job of any kind easier or harder, depending on how you look at it.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,754 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2013 12:02 |  #9

TooManyShots wrote in post #16405559 (external link)
Easier because you have more controls how you want the photo to look. There are a lot of developers to choose from as well as film options. And the development times are all different.

Harder because of the creative choices and lets not even talk about the zone system. ;)

With color all you do is follow directions. Any monkey that can read and as any common sense can do that. Little creative freedom. Start playing with temps or time you get uncorrectable color shifts. With B&W you can control all of that but it's not easy and it's really difficult when it comes to the creative decisions required. Not as easy as just following directions as with color.

sjones
Goldmember
2,241 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 28, 2013 12:12 |  #10

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16405530 (external link)
Whenever someone posts a B&W vs color version of same photo I always prefer the color one. It's just me.

People have different preferences, and you are not alone. I'm going to assume that you have seen very good B&W images but to no avail.

I'm somewhat on the other side, as I only shoot B&W. This is not to say, though, that I don't appreciate color photographs.

This said, the number of photographers who deftly use color as a purposeful aesthetic is limited. And I'm not simply referring to saturated shots of colorful doors or face paint, but instead, to those few who consciously use relational combinations in a distinctive or alluring style.

I'm hesitant to jump into which format is easier, because there are various angles from which to view. I think the use of color is often taken for granted; photographers let it fall into place since "color" itself should hold its own visual value.

Yet, this does not always follow, and that there are only a relatively few photographers who have actually managed to use color as an exceptional statement, or at least a complementary statement, as opposed to those who approach it as a face value aesthetic (a given). In light of this, superb photographs can, of course, be in color, but great 'color photography' appears to be a bit more elusive.

July 2019-July 2020 (external link)

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,754 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 28, 2013 13:13 as a reply to  @ sjones's post |  #11

I didn't either.

But once I switched to b/w street film photography...
B/W still belongs to film. IMO. Where every film, developer combination is like another digital sensor, not just LR filter, adjustment.
Different film lenses gives very different b/w pictures, comparing to digital ones.
I could even get something interesting from cheap pre-war cameras with very simple lens on it and cheapest b/w film on the market.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/9722149954_370eb60986.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kf095/972214995​4/  (external link)
Untitled (external link) by Ko.Fe. (external link), on Flickr

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 28, 2013 13:58 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #12

I feel the same. I don't see in B/W, so it doesn't really work for me. I've done a total of 1 B/W shot, and wasn't impressed.

Kel
Gear

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 28, 2013 14:38 |  #13

In my opinion, there's no better way to learn the art of photography than to work with B&W film and do your own processing with an experienced friend helping to judge the quality of your work and guide your improvements. That's how I got started in the mid 1960s. Everything was done with my brain in total control of every step.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 28, 2013 14:48 |  #14

If you don't prefer to shoot black and white, no, there's nothing wrong with that, there's nothing wrong with you, its your decision.

If you don't appreciate BW as in you don't appreciate any of it period, well there's still nothing wrong with you, but I'd be almost 100% certain you have hardly any appreciation for art and no training of any kind, like the large majority of photographers.

Color photography and black and white are vastly different aesthetically, its too much to go into here, but both done at a high level are incredibly demanding in different ways. one isn't universally harder then the other, it doesn't work that way, that's an individual matter.

One thing I will say, is that most color photography is an aesthetic nightmare due to a complete lack of knowledge regarding the use of color.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,933 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 28, 2013 15:13 |  #15

In BW you can do much more with temperature shifts, for example...

AS to OP: if you don't like it - nothing wrong with that. As long as you somehow can tell why. If you don't know the answer, perhaps it would be an interesting journey for you to find out - no matter what will be your thoughts in the end :]

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

sponsored links

13,934 views & 0 likes for this thread
I can't appreciate B&W photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.