Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 09:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I never use Shutter Priority (Tv). Am I weird?

JVolz
443 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 30, 2013 20:38 |  #16

50/50 manual and AV for me for serious stuff. Mostly AV for family stuff, and sometimes P when I feel like being lazy...

Joe Volz

sponsored links
OhLook
you get what you get
19,244 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 30, 2013 21:13 |  #17

I use Tv for birds and butterflies. I don't trust them to sit still.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 30, 2013 21:31 |  #18

I rarely use either Av or Tv. :D

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

ejenner
Goldmember
3,810 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 30, 2013 21:36 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #19

JeffreyG wrote in post #16412082 (external link)
M + auto ISO means you set the key variables to what you can live with and every shot gets the right (lowest possible) ISO for whatever the light is doing at that moment.

If I had a useable auto ISO with EC, I would use that a lot and use Av very little. Actually for the 5DII I do with Magic Lantern, but unfortunately that module is not available compiled for the 7D. It also take more time to set up.

There have been wranglings in the ML development team that have seriously slowed the implementation of this, I hope it gets sorted out.

Right now with he 5DII module available, although it is called 'auto' something-or-other, it is in fact completely pre-determined. You can tell the camera when to change aperture, SS, ISO and even EC as the metered light changes. Complete control, but the downside is that it can take some time to set up.

Of course it does also still rely on the metering.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 31, 2013 00:58 |  #20

I use Tv for my telelens. I use 1/800s + auto ISO and then dial exposure compensation according to the scene. But other than that, I find Av+manual ISO more useful in most situations.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,279 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 31, 2013 03:16 |  #21

Tv is my main mode for shots of aircraft where deliberate prop blur is needed, full manual is really the only other alternative.

e.g.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

tomj
636 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 31, 2013 04:38 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #22

I shoot mostly birds, and use either AV or M. The only time I've used shutter priority is when I've wanted to restrict the shutter to a slow speed to show motion, such as Joseph's airplane shot (nice shot.)

Flickr (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 31, 2013 04:45 |  #23

Tv is fine in situations where you have a maximum do not exceed shutter speed, such as 1/160 for aircraft prop blur. Then you can usually pick a reasonable value for the ISO so that the aperture floats over an acceptable range. As Jeffert says though when shooting with a minimum allowable shutter speed you have to set worst case ISO in either Tv or Av mode for rapidly changing light, and often run with both ISO and the floating value being far less than optimum. This is often compounded by slow lenses pushing your minimum aperture quite small to start with. Fortunatly it is a very rare day, even here in the rapidly changing weather of the UK, when the light is changing that quickly. At worst it is generally switching between two main levels. In this situation I would pre meter for both conditions in manual mode and simply switch between them as necessary.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,978 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 31, 2013 07:07 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #24

we have a a 135L on one of our camera bodies for ceremonies. Our assistant, who is very new, gets to move around and capture candids and things i want her to look for at a wedding. So after going through countless screwed up shots for lighting. We decided to have a TV experiment. I set her camera in TV mode, set her auto iso for a range of 1600-4000, and set that shutter for 1/200. The results have been consistent and good. She has a great Eye and timing but knows jack about how the camera operates. The capability of the cameras continue to amaze me. We rarely have to toss shots and with the setting we use, the cameras aperature is always B/T F/2.0 through F/3.5.

So these auto modes, if you know what they are going to do. You can make tweeks and settings on your cameras and get them work to your benefit

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 31, 2013 08:36 |  #25

Tv for panning shots for sure. It's fun shooting around 1/60-1/80 and if you're adventurous drop it to 1/40.

PhotosGuy
75,898 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 31, 2013 22:27 |  #26

Aki78 wrote in post #16413074 (external link)
Tv for panning shots for sure. It's fun shooting around 1/60-1/80 and if you're adventurous drop it to 1/40.

Or 1/15 sec: Sitting on the curb - Pre-Cruise wednesday evening at 1/15 seconds.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

2,990 views & 0 likes for this thread
I never use Shutter Priority (Tv). Am I weird?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.