Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Product test shots

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 30, 2013 12:18 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Give me some critique on these test product shots. It's hard to keep things dust free, especially when flash sees everything.

These were in a mini photo booth box with flash in shoot thru umbrella on left side with white reflector on right. Use black plexiglass as base.

I know some of the reflections got cut off because my plexiglass piece was too small.

Shot manual everything. I believe flash output was 1/2 to 1/4 power with f-stop at f/8 to f/10

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7429/10567473703_7d6218fe16_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3831/10567210276_10ee5efda8_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2872/10567207026_ed62ffffe8_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3831/10567197606_006e952847_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3773/10567196446_cdb8c6a113_b.jpg

sponsored links
lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 30, 2013 12:44 |  #2

General comments:

1. Between photos #1 & #3, I prefer #1. The "GH2" is cut off on #3.
2. Dust specks can be removed in PP with a clone or heal tool. Takes some time, but it's worth it on shots like these were dust is very distracting.
3. Clean the lens using a Lenspen or similar carbon-based cleaner to remove smudges.

Specific photo comments:

Photo #1:
1. I like the angle, but you may want to zoom out a little more to capture more reflection.
2. Looks like a crack or fiber near the dial above "FullHD". Maybe remove in PP.
3. Lighting looks good. I like the shadows and reflections.
4. Maybe stop down to gain DoF to focus "GH2". This may have been done on purpose, but it may look better with a greater DoF.
5. Watch out for the dark shadow at the bottom of the silver strip on the grip. It would look better without the dark shadow there - it's not on the reflection.

Photo #2:
1. Not feeling the steep angle, although you are able to see more of the features on the top of the camera body.
2. Lighting is weak on top. Could use additional light above, near the hotshoe.

Photo #3: Same as #1, but I prefer #1 since "GH2" is not cut off.

Photos #4 & #5:
1. I like the lighting and lack of reflections on the body of the flashlight.
2. I prefer the angle of #5 as you can see the lens - which is the most important aspect of a flashlight.
3. On #5, you could have composed a little lower to include the entire reflection and reduce the space above the flashlight.

Overall a good series, but they just need some cleaning up.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

CanonVsNikon
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 30, 2013 13:06 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks for your input. The "crack" above the Full HD is actually a hair. And yes dust is a problem. I have seen some shots here where there is absolutely no dust. Amazed at how things can get dust free.

I was at f8 and could have shot further away and cropped in post do give a broader DOF.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 30, 2013 13:22 |  #4

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16411143 (external link)
Thanks for your input. The "crack" above the Full HD is actually a hair. And yes dust is a problem. I have seen some shots here where there is absolutely no dust. Amazed at how things can get dust free.

I was at f8 and could have shot further away and cropped in post do give a broader DOF.

I don't mind shallow DoF with product shots as long as it's consistent. In these shots, it appears as though the front to the center is in focus and everything behind the center is OOF. I would either open up and create a shallow DoF where only the "LUMIX" is in focus and everything in front and behind are OOF, or create a greater DoF and have everything in focus.

Years ago when I used to do product photography, I would create a negative air space by placing 3 or 4 electric fans facing away from the product. It would keep dust away and was fairly effective for close macro work.

You've got a good setup here, just tweak it here and there and it'll be better.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 31, 2013 01:21 |  #5

Looks pretty good to me, but yea, the dust needs to be adresses. Would be nice if you could get a bigger piece of plexiglass, that way you can use a lower angle without cutting off the reflection. Other than that, it really has a professional look about it.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

CanonVsNikon
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 31, 2013 08:33 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks. Yeah dust is everywhere here in Colorado with our dry climate. It really is an issue with these shots. And a bigger plexiglass is definitely needed.

sponsored links

663 views & 0 likes for this thread
Product test shots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.