Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 22:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D users, don't kill me...

dscri001
487 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 31, 2013 12:53 |  #31

Yeah I bought the 6D for the full frame sensor. Everything else is just icing on the cake. Super solid build. And who cares if it resembles a rebel? Function follows form in this case.

Also, 6D = non turbo rx7. Light and slow :lol:

-Tyler I II
EOS 6DII, EF 16-35mm f/4 ISL, EF 35 f/1.4L II, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L

sponsored links
DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 31, 2013 12:53 |  #32

PhotoGeek wrote in post #16413647 (external link)
1DX = Porsche 918 or Ferrari LaFerrari.

5DIII = Lambo (pick your variant)

7D = Lotus, etc.

6D = Camaro or Mustang

..... They all seem to have one thing in common......

They get one from place A to place B (and none of them in the greatest of comfort) :)

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 31, 2013 13:42 |  #33

No, I don't think it's a Rebel. Far from it.

Having owned 7 different Rebels (all of them except the T5i), and the 40D, 50D, 60D, and 7D, I find that the 6D is much closer to the build, handling, and ergonomics of the xxD and 7D than to a Rebel. Calling it a Rebel is foolish. Calling it an affordable, light, and feature rich full framer with great IQ is more correct :)

But hey, I'm used to it, just like hearing that the AF of the 6D is crap, unusable etc. I heard it so much that I actually had to make my scientific comparison test, recorded on video where it turns out that my 6D was a little bit faster focusing than my 7D (testing BOTH center and off center points, albeit with a static subject under medium light.)
It's always the same song...

For instance it's so funny how the 5DII AF system, while admittedly not very advanced, never stopped hundreds or thousands of working pros from taking awesome, award winning images, and making a living as a pros. The 5DII became a legend. Now, the 6D's AF system is all of a sudden crap and unusable, when it is actually better than the 5DII's and the camera produces even more stellar photos than the 5DII
As for the build quality, I find it very good, and more comfortable than my 7D. I'm the same way with my 70D also.

In terms of weather sealing, I'm pretty sure the 5DII and the 6D are similar, so in my opinion stating something like you shouldn't take a 6D out in rain but can take a 5DII out is nonsense :) If the conditions are so bad that they kill a 6D, they will surely kill a 5DII also.

I wonder how many of us here really require bulletproof construction. I'd bet most people here who own a 7D, 5DIII, never even come close to really testing the durability, weather sealing of their cameras. Most of us here use our cameras under reasonable conditions. We're not made of money we don't want to risk damaging our "baby" :)

I have no comment on GPS. But I think the wifi features are great. I can't tell you how many of my wildlife photographer friends wanted some kind of way to remotely control a camera to take unusual wildlife shots (such as birds with a wide angle lens). Now with wifi and the apps it's possible. I also heard of wedding photographers who started setting up a 6D at a fixed spot at receptions to take a wide angle shot of the guests and the hall controlling the camera from anywhere in the room from their smart phone. So there are a lot of creative applications of wifi. Does everybody need that? Of course not. But it's there and it's got its potential. There is actually a version of the 6D that does not have wifi or GPS it's just not available on the US market as far as I know.

I am very happy that Canon introduced the 6D. Excellent image quality, rivaling if not slightly surpassing the 5DIII in a smaller, lighter, much more affordable package.

By the way, HERE (external link) are a bunch of air show photos from the summer, taken with my 6D in AI Servo mode and a far from ideal Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS + 2x TC combo. I was in Hungary where my wife and I got married, so I did not particularly prepare for shooting an airshow. Still the images came out excellent.

Here's one, sorry if it is off topic (excuse the dust spot, my whole trip was dusty with temps around 100 F):
Oh and this is a 50% crop too, not the whole frame.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3724/10566765894_d5e0c4ef4b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …29108710@N04/10​566765894/  (external link)
airshow28 (external link) by gabebalazs (external link), on Flickr

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 31, 2013 13:44 |  #34

6d's image quality is better than the 7d and 5d mkii and equal to the 5d mk iii.

It's build is equal to my 5d mark ii and 50d...certainly not rebel like at all.

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 31, 2013 14:11 |  #35

gabebalazs wrote in post #16413897 (external link)

Having owned 7 different Rebels (all of them except the T5i), and the 40D, 50D, 60D, and 7D, I find that the 6D is much closer to the build, handling, and ergonomics of the xxD and 7D than to a Rebel. Calling it a Rebel is foolish. Calling it an affordable, light, and feature rich full framer with great IQ is more correct :)

But hey, I'm used to it, just like hearing that the AF of the 6D is crap, unusable etc. I heard it so much that I actually had to make my scientific comparison test, recorded on video where it turns out that my 6D was a little bit faster focusing than my 7D (testing BOTH center and off center points, albeit with a static subject under medium light.)

For instance it's so funny how the 5DII AF system, while admittedly not very advanced, never stopped hundreds or thousands of working pros from taking awesome, award winning images, and making a living as a pros. The 5DII became a legend. Now, the 6D's AF system is all of a sudden crap and unusable, when it is actually better than the 5DII's and the camera produces even more stellar photos than the 5DII
As for the build quality, I find it very good, and more comfortable than my 7D. I'm the same way with my 70D also.

In terms of weather sealing, I'm pretty sure the 5DII and the 6D are similar, so in my opinion stating something like you shouldn't take a 6D out in rain but can take a 5DII out is nonsense :) If the conditions are so bad that they kill a 6D, they will surely kill a 5DII also.

I wonder how many of us here really require bulletproof construction. I'd bet most people here who own a 7D, 5DIII, never even come close to really testing the durability, weather sealing of their cameras. Most of us here use our cameras under reasonable conditions. We're not made of money we don't want to risk damaging our "baby" :)

I have no comment on GPS. But I think the wifi features are great. I can't tell you how many of my wildlife photographer friends wanted some kind of way to remotely control a camera to take unusual wildlife shots (such as birds with a wide angle lens). Now with wifi and the apps it's possible. I also heard of wedding photographers who started setting up a 6D at a fixed spot at receptions to take a wide angle shot of the guests and the hall controlling the camera from anywhere in the room from their smart phone. So there are a lot of creative applications of wifi. Does everybody need that? Of course not. But it's there and it's got its potential. There is actually a version of the 6D that does not have wifi or GPS it's just not available on the US market as far as I know.

I am very happy that Canon introduced the 6D. Excellent image quality, rivaling if not slightly surpassing the 5DIII in a smaller, lighter, much more affordable package.

By the way, HERE (external link) are a bunch of air show photos from the summer, taken with my 6D in AI Servo mode and a far from ideal Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS + 2x TC combo. I was in Hungary where my wife and I got married, so I did not particularly prepare for shooting an airshow. Still the images came out excellent.

Here's one, sorry if it is off topic (excuse the dust spot, my whole trip was dusty with temps around 100 F):

I agree with you, especially about the weatherproofing/build quality thing many people here go on about.

Having choices is a good thing.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

1ds4Me
230 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 31, 2013 14:19 |  #36

tkbslc wrote in post #16413666 (external link)
Nah, Canon is not an exotic brand.

1DX = Corvette
5D3 = Camaro V8
7D = Taurus SHO (kinda old, and not exactly cool like FF, but fast)
6D = Dodge Sprinter Van (not exactly high performance, but it holds a lot of image quality
70D = Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

LMAO!!

gaabnz
871 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 31, 2013 14:22 |  #37

Loving my 6D after moving up from the 600D.

I'm not a pro photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I like the size compared to the 600 and am more than happy with the shots I am taking with it.

I am really enjoying this camera, just need to get out an use it more !

Sony A7mkiii / Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 / Zeiss FE35 f2.8 / EF24-105F4L / EF70-200f4L / EF50mm f1.8 / Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro

rsieminski
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 31, 2013 14:32 |  #38

Any trouble with the outer sensors in servo mode?

--Rick
Website | (external link)Flickr | (external link)facebook | (external link)ModelMayhem (external link)

Please 'Like' my fan page by clicking here (external link)

CaliWalkabout
337 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 31, 2013 17:09 |  #39

So what? The Rebels are pretty good cameras, too. (Though I won't be using my T1i anytime soon, if I can help it.)

6D, 17-40L, 24L II, 50L, 100L, 70-300L.

racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,056 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 31, 2013 17:24 |  #40

milleniumking wrote in post #16412741 (external link)
Its not just you. I felt the same way when I held it compared to the 5d mark ii. 6d doesnt feel as solid.

true, but quality of the camera is still important. Would you feel comfortable taking it out in light rain if you have too?

I wouldnt consider the 6d a Ferrari. More like a Lotus. 5dmark iii = ferrari, 1dx = Lambo

True!!!! :)

5DMKII is not good in light rain, a few drops and mine goes funny.

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

m3thods
169 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 31, 2013 18:18 |  #41

rsieminski wrote in post #16414040 (external link)
Any trouble with the outer sensors in servo mode?

I had no trouble using them outside with ample light. Can't comment for indoor low-light shots though.

Fuji X-E2 | 18-55 | 23 | Nikon 60mm AF-D Macro | 55-250 |YN-560EXIIx2 | YN-565EX | YN-622C | YN-622C-TX

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 31, 2013 18:28 |  #42

m3thods wrote in post #16414620 (external link)
I had no trouble using them outside with ample light. Can't comment for indoor low-light shots though.

Shots if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.

For me outer AF points in AI servo are no comparison with center.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

milleniumking
339 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 31, 2013 20:23 |  #43

This kind of topic is so funny. I am sure that if all of us here could afford a 1dx we would get it in a heart beat. I bought my 5d iii cause i can afford it. Wanted the best that i could get for under 4k. It is tough choosing between the mark ii and th 6d. So close in price with great features on both. But if you are looking to get serious into photography a mark ii is a good step.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,587 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 31, 2013 21:44 |  #44

gabebalazs wrote in post #16413897 (external link)

This. You win the thread ;)

I really don't get all the hate for the 6D on the internet, if you don't like it... don't buy it. Sounds simple enough to me. If you'd rather pay the same money for a 5 year older camera that's less capable in just about every way, be our guest.

Instead people find things to dislike about it just to justify their desire to have a more top of the line "5D" badge on their cameras. Bogus crap like a "more solid feel" (cause you know, that polycarb top plate just ruins the rest of the robust magnesium construction) or "bad AF" (considering the 5DII's is an older and worse system). And of course, we all know 1/8000 a sec shutter speed is crucial, after all, photographs at f/1.4 were impossible on older SLR cameras with max shutterspeeds closer to 1/2000 a sec. :rolleyes:

I very nearly bought a 5D2, then, thank goodness, the 6D came out :cool:

Oh, and all these people claiming the 6D is a failure by Canon are entirely full of it. just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it doesn't sell well. I hate the Call of Duty franchise, and it sells like hotcakes

Amazon currently #3 best selling SLR
http://www.amazon.com …17941/ref=zg_bs​_nav_p_1_p (external link)

B&H #1 best seller currently (and interestingly, a7r is second)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …&N=4288586282&s​rtclk=sort (external link)

Clearly not a popular camera... :confused:

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

chubbyone
661 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 31, 2013 21:46 |  #45

milleniumking wrote in post #16414838 (external link)
But if you are looking to get serious into photography a mark ii is a good step.

And so is the 6D :lol:

6D | EF 35 f2 IS | EF 50 f1.4 | EF 85 f1.8 | EF 135 f2.0

sponsored links

43,292 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D users, don't kill me...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.