Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Setting Aspect Ratios in 350D

Benedictine
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2013 10:06 |  #1

Is there a way to set the aspect ratio in a Canon 350D?

As a corollary I would be thankful if anyone can recommend somewhere that explains simply the whole subject of aspect ratios.

Thanks.

It’s all part of the rich tapestry of life.

sponsored links
talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 31, 2013 10:10 |  #2

The sensor is the aspect ratio of the size it is, it cannot be changed.

You can crop the picture afterwards in any picture editor to any aspect ratio you like.

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2013 10:19 |  #3

talbot_sunbeam wrote in post #16413300 (external link)
The sensor is the aspect ratio of the size it is, it cannot be changed.

You can crop the picture afterwards in any picture editor to any aspect ratio you like.

Thanks. Not sure this helps, perhaps I asked the wrong question:cry:

The problem is that when ordering a print the sides of the picture are cut off and the printers, (Apple) said that the aspect ratio should have been 1.25 and not 1.61 which it apparently was. The solution, they said, was to order a larger print. Does that make sense?
Cheers & thanks for your patience.

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 31, 2013 10:24 as a reply to  @ Benedictine's post |  #4

If you order 8 1/2 x 11 inch prints (just as an example) from images made with your DSLR you will have parts of the image cut off. That is simply because the shape of the sensor (and final image) is a different length x width than the print.

As above, I don't think you can change it in camera, you just have to crop the image to reflect the proportions of the print you want. Or order an 8x12 print.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,287 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 31, 2013 10:27 |  #5

The primary option would be to crop the image to fit the desired image size.

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2013 10:29 |  #6

Copidosoma wrote in post #16413341 (external link)
If you order 8 1/2 x 11 inch prints (just as an example) from images made with your DSLR you will have parts of the image cut off. That is simply because the shape of the sensor (and final image) is a different length x width than the print.

As above, I don't think you can change it in camera, you just have to crop the image to reflect the proportions of the print you want. Or order an 8x12 print.

Thanks for this. So am I right in saying that what I ought to do is when shooting, for example, a group photography to allow plenty of extra space either side of the group? Sorry if this is a bit dumb but I do not want to make the same mistake again.

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 31, 2013 10:31 |  #7

Benedictine wrote in post #16413354 (external link)
Thanks for this. So am I right in saying that what I ought to do is when shooting, for example, a group photography to allow plenty of extra space either side of the group? Sorry if this is a bit dumb but I do not want to make the same mistake again.

If you know you are going to need to crop in a particular way to fit an image size you know you are going to print to, then yes, absolutely bear that in mind when shooting and frame accordingly.

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2013 10:31 |  #8

Thanks eveyone for your help.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,287 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 31, 2013 10:36 |  #9

Benedictine wrote in post #16413354 (external link)

Yes, always consider output. Especially if shooting something where an 8x10 is a likely outcome. Play with the crop tool in your software to get an understanding of what has to be removed from a 2x3 format to get an 8x10, or other shaped print. (focus on shape rather than size).

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,573 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 31, 2013 10:38 |  #10

The default aspect ratio (unchangeable) for the 350D is 3:2 (or 1.5 to 1) so yes you will lose some if you print an 8 x 10 for instance since the 8 x 10 is 10/8, 5:4 or 1.25 depending on how you express the ratio.

If you use software, like the Digital Photo Professional that came with your camera then you have a cropping tool which offers a wide range of choices one being 4:5 or 5:4 which is the aspect ratio you are after, the two numbers being portrait or landscape orientation; 5/4 = 1.25. Once cropped you can then save the modified image (preferably under a new name) in a size appropriate to the print process.

I've attached a screen shot showing the aspect ratios from the current version of DPP. If you should chose to use it I suggest you install the original, then do the upgrade to the laetst and greatest. It has changed substantially since the 350D has hit the street.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2013 10:43 |  #11

gonzogolf wrote in post #16413380 (external link)
Yes, always consider output. Especially if shooting something where an 8x10 is a likely outcome. Play with the crop tool in your software to get an understanding of what has to be removed from a 2x3 format to get an 8x10, or other shaped print. (focus on shape rather than size).

I really find this confusing as basically I can not tell whether or not all of the photograph will be printed that I order! This has happened to me quite often and I wish there was some way of knowing before ordering prints. The latest example was a group photo where the people on both left and right were completely cut off although as far as could see there was no reason for them to be. I have now had to order a larger print than I wanted—comes expensive when ordering 8 copies!:(

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2013 10:45 |  #12

John from PA wrote in post #16413383 (external link)
The default aspect ratio (unchangeable) for the 350D is 3:2 (or 1.5 to 1) so yes you will lose some if you print an 8 x 10 for instance since the 8 x 10 is 10/8, 5:4 or 1.25 depending on how you express the ratio.

If you use software, like the Digital Photo Professional that came with your camera then you have a cropping tool which offers a wide range of choices one being 4:5 or 5:4 which is the aspect ratio you are after, the two numbers being portrait or landscape orientation; 5/4 = 1.25. Once cropped you can then save the modified image (preferably under a new name) in a size appropriate to the print process.

I've attached a screen shot showing the aspect ratios from the current version of DPP. If you should chose to use it I suggest you install the original, then do the upgrade to the laetst and greatest. It has changed substantially since the 350D has hit the street.

Thanks for this, I use Apple’s Apperture software.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,287 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 31, 2013 10:51 |  #13

Benedictine wrote in post #16413398 (external link)
I really find this confusing as basically I can not tell whether or not all of the photograph will be printed that I order! This has happened to me quite often and I wish there was some way of knowing before ordering prints. The latest example was a group photo where the people on both left and right were completely cut off although as far as could see there was no reason for them to be. I have now had to order a larger print than I wanted—comes expensive when ordering 8 copies!:(

The easy answer is to frame more loosely so that you can accommodate any shape (or size) print. If you fill an image in the viewfinder edge to edge then 8x10's will not be an option for you. But as I said, play with the crop tool. Take a full 2x3 ratio image, select the crop tool at 8x10 and drag it edge to edge and you will see what you are going to loose. Once you do that with the various sizes you might want to print you will have a better feel for it.

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2013 10:53 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #16413419 (external link)
The easy answer is to frame more loosely so that you can accommodate any shape (or size) print. If you fill an image in the viewfinder edge to edge then 8x10's will not be an option for you. But as I said, play with the crop tool. Take a full 2x3 ratio image, select the crop tool at 8x10 and drag it edge to edge and you will see what you are going to loose. Once you do that with the various sizes you might want to print you will have a better feel for it.

Good advice, thanks.:)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 31, 2013 10:59 |  #15

When printing, there are two options.

Either cut off space from left and/or right when the paper is more square than the photo you sent in for prints.

Or fit the full photo and instead add white above/below to fill up to the full height of the paper.

A good print service should be able to support either of these two options.

The other option is that you create (cropping left and/or right side, or expanding with white above/below) a source file that has that 8x10 aspect before sending it for printing.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links

3,925 views & 0 likes for this thread
Setting Aspect Ratios in 350D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.