Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Setting Aspect Ratios in 350D

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2013 11:34 |  #16

pwm2 wrote in post #16413455 (external link)
When printing, there are two options.

Either cut off space from left and/or right when the paper is more square than the photo you sent in for prints.

Or fit the full photo and instead add white above/below to fill up to the full height of the paper.

A good print service should be able to support either of these two options.

The other option is that you create (cropping left and/or right side, or expanding with white above/below) a source file that has that 8x10 aspect before sending it for printing.

I think the operative words here are “a good print service”!!!

It’s all part of the rich tapestry of life.

sponsored links
pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 31, 2013 16:12 |  #17

Benedictine wrote in post #16413560 (external link)
I think the operative words here are “a good print service”!!!

I havent tried many print services. Only one who wins prizes every year.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,594 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 31, 2013 16:52 |  #18

It appears from the thread at https://discussions.ap​ple.com/thread/4962949 (external link) that aspect ratio can't be locked in with Apple's Aperture. I'd let Apple know of this shortcoming as often consumers opinions do carry some weight. But beyond that, as I already suggested, perhaps give DPP a try, if it is Mac compatible.

I'm not an Apple person, and the more I discover about it, the more I'm glad I use the PC format. But as an engineer, there wasn't much choice in the matter.

liquefied
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 31, 2013 17:02 |  #19

The problem is whoever is printing these for you should have given you the option to either have white bars at the top and bottom of the paper or to have the left and right sides of the image cropped in order to have a full bleed(edge to edge) print.

Ideally you should be cropping your image before printing if you know you're printing full bleed on media that does not match the aspect ratio of your image, or you should be printing with borders and trimming the print down afterward if you want it to be full bleed.

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 01, 2013 14:11 |  #20

These are all very interesting replies, thank you. Trying to get a ‘good' print service I find very difficult especially as I really do not know enough about the technicalities. What I want to do seems simple, but I expect to the printers it isn’t!
I want to be able to shoot a photo; process it on my computer, which may or may not include cropping; send it to them digitally and have them print the image in its entirety. My mistake and problem, I think, is trusting them that when they offer a choice of paper sizes any of them will accommodate the entire image. This does not appear to be the case and so to me it boils down to pot luck whether or not I choose an appropriate size. I just wish I could find a printer, preferably in the UK, who I can trust to do this…any recommendations either on this thread or privately would be appreciated.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,295 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 01, 2013 14:16 |  #21

Benedictine wrote in post #16416497 (external link)
These are all very interesting replies, thank you. Trying to get a ‘good' print service I find very difficult especially as I really do not know enough about the technicalities. What I want to do seems simple, but I expect to the printers it isn’t!
I want to be able to shoot a photo; process it on my computer, which may or may not include cropping; send it to them digitally and have them print the image in its entirety. My mistake and problem, I think, is trusting them that when they offer a choice of paper sizes any of them will accommodate the entire image. This does not appear to be the case and so to me it boils down to pot luck whether or not I choose an appropriate size. I just wish I could find a printer, preferably in the UK, who I can trust to do this…any recommendations either on this thread or privately would be appreciated.

If you do your own cropping, to the size you want made, then it shouldnt be that difficult.

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 01, 2013 14:21 |  #22

gonzogolf wrote in post #16416506 (external link)
If you do your own cropping, to the size you want made, then it shouldnt be that difficult.

Ah! I think you have hit the nail on the head and perhaps light dawns at last:oops: I have up to now been cropping for aesthetic reasons and not to a print size. So I need to crop to, say, 8” x 10”.Is this right?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,594 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 01, 2013 14:25 |  #23

Did you read and understand my reply, page 1, item 10. I couldn't make it much more clear, at least I thought.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,295 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 01, 2013 14:29 |  #24

Benedictine wrote in post #16416515 (external link)
Ah! I think you have hit the nail on the head and perhaps light dawns at last:oops: I have up to now been cropping for aesthetic reasons and not to a print size. So I need to crop to, say, 8” x 10”.Is this right?

Yes, you need to crop for the size of print you wish to make. If you crop based on your creative vision you need to do a bit more. One option is to use software to crop the images in whatever way you like, then copy it and paste it into an image in the next larger size leaving a white (or color for that matter) border around the image. Then when you send it to a printer it sees that border as part of the image and the automated printer does its thing and you can trim later.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 01, 2013 14:30 |  #25

Benedictine wrote in post #16416515 (external link)

No, you don't need to.

If you crop to a different aspect then you should create an image file where you fill with white top/bottom or left/right so the padded image ends up with 8x10 relative aspect. The printer don't care you have white in the image file - they just print without any image loss since your file matches the height/width relation of the paper.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 01, 2013 14:30 |  #26

John from PA wrote in post #16416533 (external link)
Did you read and understand my reply, page 1, item 10. I couldn't make it much more clear, at least I thought.

Yes I did read it, thanks. I even tried to install DPP from my original discs but, unfortunately, they were for an older operating system and would not install. But thanks for all of your help.

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 01, 2013 15:10 |  #27

Benedictine wrote in post #16416545 (external link)
Yes I did read it, thanks. I even tried to install DPP from my original discs but, unfortunately, they were for an older operating system and would not install. But thanks for all of your help.

You can upload the digital solutions software disk (which contains DPP I believe) from the canon website then update to the latest version of DPP.

http://www.canon.ca …&sid=7&mid=2200​924&type=D (external link)

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,594 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 01, 2013 15:10 |  #28

For latest versions of everything, go to Go to http://www.usa.canon.c​om …os_60d#DriversA​ndSoftware (external link). Expand the list of software and O/S if needed. You want the 4th item down, called EOS Digital Solutions Disk Software 28.2A for Windows. That will give you everything that was on the CD that came originally but all up to date. Its a 142 mb so might take awhile.

Individual software packages are also available and hsve "Updster" in their name. These won't install unless an older version is present on the PC.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 01, 2013 21:21 |  #29

As you are in the UK I recommend DS Colour Labs. The 16"×12" prints that I have had from them have been great, and only £1.10 each! need to do a few though as if you want next day delivery it's £9.00! Normal, post is only £4.50 so not quite so bad. Here is a link to their FAQ page dealing with cropping and your options. (external link)

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 02, 2013 01:07 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #30

Dumb question, but can't you just print in a size that matches the format in which it was shot? Why would you limit yourself to 8 x 10? (I never print so I have no idea)

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,942 views & 0 likes for this thread
Setting Aspect Ratios in 350D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.