Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 31 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 21:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography is Too Hard, says Google. . . .

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 31, 2013 21:30 |  #1

I know I can't be the only one who caught this quote:

"Photography today is too hard. It's too hard to create treasures," Google executive Vic Gundotra

Some of the things these execs say in an effort to win over snapshooters just kills me. This is right up there with Melissa Mayer saying pro photography was dead. Of course, part of the new Google+ editing tool selection will be called "Auto Awesome", so go figure. Maybe it's time to switch from Ps to Google. I don't recall seeing an "Awesome" button in Ps after all. . . .

http://www.mercurynews​.com …-photo-video-tools-google (external link)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 31, 2013 21:53 |  #2

It is hard. I've been trying for 10 years and I can't call my pictures "treasures"

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Aki78
960 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 31, 2013 21:56 |  #3

Yes...it is definitely hard to create an image to be uploaded onto Facebook and nothing more. Even if Google came up with features and hardware that would rival the 5DMKIII or similar it still doesn't change the fact that the user will not understand it's capability. Pictures will still look like crap. It's always going to have its limits for sure.

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 31, 2013 21:57 |  #4

When was it ever easy?

Difficulty keeps the boys separated from the men. The men know it aint the camera that makes good photos.

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 01, 2013 01:45 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

"Auto Awesome" = increase saturation, increase contrast, increase exposure a bit if needed, done.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 01, 2013 07:30 |  #6

In spite of their marketing strategy towards overprocessing and spray and pray photography, some of the techniques behind this are quite interesting. Automatically starring / selecting out of a set of similar images based on focus and/or exposure for example can be a great tool to have for event photographers. I'm not saying it'll replace going through huge sets in LR, but could be nice to use for automatically generating a quick preview of a day's shoot.

Also, anything to prevent me from seeing 300+ similar shots being thrown on flickr/facebook :)

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 01, 2013 09:44 |  #7

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16414953 (external link)
Some of the things these execs say in an effort to win over snapshooters just kills me. This is right up there with Melissa Mayer saying pro photography was dead. Of course, part of the new Google+ editing tool selection will be called "Auto Awesome", so go figure. Maybe it's time to switch from Ps to Google. I don't recall seeing an "Awesome" button in Ps after all. . . .

http://www.mercurynews​.com …-photo-video-tools-google (external link)

a winner app

"imagine Google's algorithms find better friends than the ones you have and put them in your photos and videos,"

Blaster6
238 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 01, 2013 09:49 |  #8

I like to put family photos on G+ but was a little ticked when it auto awesomed some photos I had spent time adjusting just the way I wanted them. Can't really complain because that option can be turned off. I turned it off and my photos were unawesome again.

No, I never claimed to be outstanding in the field of photography. I said I was out standing in the field taking photos.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 01, 2013 09:57 |  #9

Well its a crapload easier than its ever been before. Which explains why everyone with a dslr is a pro now.

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 01, 2013 20:24 |  #10

Doesn't Google do the same thing as Facebook? Part of their A.U.P. gives them full
use of you photos for whatever purpose they want. So "Auto Awesome" = free images.
And since cellphone cameras, have lowered everyone's expectations of what a good
photo is they now have lots of free images to fill their content. And when a real
photographer uploads it's a jackpot.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

Nathan
So boring
7,722 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 04, 2013 10:00 |  #11

I'm pretty sure someone is developing - if it's not out there already - an algorithm that helps auto crop photos or guide snapshooters to frame according to Rule of 3rds of Fibonacci spiral.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

markusstaley8
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 05, 2013 04:37 |  #12

Photography is not hard but you have to hard work. Once you get tricks of photography it will easy for you.

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 05, 2013 07:54 |  #13

I think "treasures" are created with the camera, not in post processing.

The reason it is hard is composition. It's a talent that not everybody has. Some basic rules can get you so far, but I'm sure most people never read about them. But to get brilliant photos like what gets posted on this forum, you have to do a lot of things right. It takes practice and a natural eye for it. It's not something you can get in an app.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 05, 2013 08:32 |  #14

Footbag wrote in post #16503280 (external link)
I think "treasures" are created with the camera, not in post processing.

The reason it is hard is composition. It's a talent that not everybody has. Some basic rules can get you so far, but I'm sure most people never read about them. But to get brilliant photos like what gets posted on this forum, you have to do a lot of things right. It takes practice and a natural eye for it. It's not something you can get in an app.

It's true that there are initial steps essential to making a great photograph, particularly in terms of focus, use of lighting, timing, and composition (although post cropping can help). However, post processing is part of the overall photographic process, one that can be just as critical and creative as any other part of the process.

Ultimately, the 'treasure' is created in the photographer's mind and his or her ability to translate such vision to a photograph.

Summer 2017 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

agl99
156 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 05, 2013 08:47 as a reply to  @ sjones's post |  #15

One person's trash is another person's treasure, but usually when you put garbage in you get garbage out... It is kind of ironic that he says it is too hard to create treasures, yet, he wants to provide tools that further commoditize everything.

sponsored links

4,100 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography is Too Hard, says Google. . . .
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.