Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 04 Nov 2013 (Monday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Solar Eclipse From the Coast

btb1959
40 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 13, 2013 10:03 |  #16

very nice shot.

sponsored links
STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 14, 2013 02:45 as a reply to  @ post 16445351 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

WOW...

The only thing wrong with it is it isn't MINE...;)

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 15, 2013 08:44 |  #18

btb1959 wrote in post #16448268 (external link)
very nice shot.

STIC wrote in post #16450520 (external link)
WOW...

The only thing wrong with it is it isn't MINE...;)

Thank you both for the nice comments.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,036 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

May 25, 2015 09:33 |  #19

WOW!!! This image is superlative in every way. Definitely one of the most interesting, coolest-looking nature shots I have ever seen. Wonderful use of the vegetation in framing the composition. Even the placement of the birds is fortuitous! I'm guessing you shot dozens, if not hundreds, of versions of this, and this one was the one in which the birds (gulls?) were best represented?

Nighthound wrote in post #16432346 (external link)
Thanks very much everyone. The 2017 eclipse will be total here, I'm planning to get some filtration for that and use my Sky 90. Plenty of time for planning that one.

That sounds very interesting. Where will this eclipse be best photographed from? Are you on the eastern part of the continent, or the western part? I looked for your location in your signature, but did not see any listed. Also, where can one go to view more of your wildlife & bird images?

Also, do you have a website or an online gallery? I see something about an astro gallery in your signature, but I would like to se more of your bird & mammal images, if possible Your work is outstanding and I can't help but to want to see more of it!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by Nighthound.

May 25, 2015 10:57 |  #20

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17570357 (external link)
WOW!!! This image is superlative in every way. Definitely one of the most interesting, coolest-looking nature shots I have ever seen. Wonderful use of the vegetation in framing the composition. Even the placement of the birds is fortuitous! I'm guessing you shot dozens, if not hundreds, of versions of this, and this one was the one in which the birds (gulls?) were best represented?

That sounds very interesting. Where will this eclipse be best photographed from? Are you on the eastern part of the continent, or the western part? I looked for your location in your signature, but did not see any listed. Also, where can one go to view more of your wildlife & bird images?

Also, do you have a website or an online gallery? I see something about an astro gallery in your signature, but I would like to se more of your bird & mammal images, if possible Your work is outstanding and I can't help but to want to see more of it!

Thanks so much for the high praise on this image and for the interest in my work Tom. Coming from someone as accomplished as yourself really means a lot to me. I'm a long time fan of your work.

I scouted this location the day before the eclipse but I had to hike about 3/4 of a mile at a fast clip to make it there on time that morning. The location is within a state park and I had to wait for the gate to open before I could start my hike. I did shoot quite a few but given the danger involved of damaging my gear I quit as soon as the sun got up to about as high as it is in this image. The atmosphere near the horizon provides some filtration but not much. I pre focused to infinity so I wouldn't have to look through the viewfinder and risk eye damage.

The 2017 solar eclipse will cut a path through the center of the US. Here's an interactive map that shows the path of totality. I only have to travel about 40 minutes south to be dead center in it. Of course it'll all come down to clouds or no clouds.

This first link will take you to the second(link under black map at top) but just incase the second can't be accessed directly I'll include both:
http://www.eclipse2017​.org/2017/path_through​_the_US.htm (external link)
http://xjubier.free.fr …E_2017_GoogleMa​pFull.html (external link)

I'm mainly an avian photographer by choice but I have a variety of mammals as well, although not big game like those in your collection. I'm on the SC coast so other than White-tailed Deer we're limited to small animals for the most part, especially along the coast. Here's a link to some of my bird work. Click the magnifying glass function to see full size:
http://s3.photobucket.​com …ldlifeSouth?sor​t=6&page=1 (external link)

Thanks again, greatly appreciated.

Steve

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,036 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

May 27, 2015 00:12 as a reply to  @ Nighthound's post |  #21

Thanks for the links about the eclipse, Steve. Read one of 'em already - very interesting stuff. I may even give it a try...now how could I combine wildlife with eclipse images?

One thing I am curious about - you mentioned possible damage to your equipment, and the link mentioned people having to wear eye protection if looking at the eclipse from anything other than a "total" angle. Does the sun actually somehow become stronger/more intense during an eclipse? I ask because I regularly shoot into a full sun, and I also look into the full sun without eye protection - so if doing these things for years has caused no damage to either my gear or my eyes, then how come doing so during a partial eclipse would do such damage? If anything, I would think that the opposite would be true - that looking into a full sun during a partial eclipse would be not as likely to cause harm to eyes or gear, because the sun is at least partially blocked, which I presume would at least slightly diminish the amount of direct light rays shining into one's camera and into one's eyes.

Thanks also for the link to your bird galleries - I can't wait to go take a look!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 27, 2015 09:12 |  #22

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17572754 (external link)
Thanks for the links about the eclipse, Steve. Read one of 'em already - very interesting stuff. I may even give it a try...now how could I combine wildlife with eclipse images?

One thing I am curious about - you mentioned possible damage to your equipment, and the link mentioned people having to wear eye protection if looking at the eclipse from anything other than a "total" angle. Does the sun actually somehow become stronger/more intense during an eclipse? I ask because I regularly shoot into a full sun, and I also look into the full sun without eye protection - so if doing these things for years has caused no damage to either my gear or my eyes, then how come doing so during a partial eclipse would do such damage? If anything, I would think that the opposite would be true - that looking into a full sun during a partial eclipse would be not as likely to cause harm to eyes or gear, because the sun is at least partially blocked, which I presume would at least slightly diminish the amount of direct light rays shining into one's camera and into one's eyes.

Thanks also for the link to your bird galleries - I can't wait to go take a look!

You're welcome Tom. You would think that the Sun being partially or even fully obstructed by the Moon would make it less bright but in actuality it becomes more intense, especially under the magnification of a lens or telescope. Looking at a solar eclipse can permanently damage your vision in a matter of seconds so please take the appropriate precautions. Remember the affects of a magnifying glass on paper when held outdoors under the sun? Think of that paper and how your retinas or optic nerves would fair under such intensity. You can purchase solar filtration film fairly inexpensively and craft a holder to slip over your lens objective. Secure it well to be sure it stays in place and you're ready for safe visual and photographic use. As far as your gear goes, the same solar intensity that poses a threat to your vision can also quickly over heat your lens and sensor causing damage. Exposures are short but repeated exposures are cumulative when taken with short interval.

Steve

JohnPh
I smell like a Shoulder Shrugging Seal
2,464 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

May 27, 2015 15:51 |  #23

Nighthound wrote in post #16423373 (external link)
VERY BRIGHT and early Sunday morning at the beach. I wanted a foreground that wasn't just the ocean so I went behind the dunes. The sea oats are nearly wiped out for the season so I had to find the best I could and go with it. There was only about 10 minutes to shoot so no time to move around for variety. I prefocused on some clouds to avoid looking into the viewfinder.

Canon 1D Mark IV | 500L | Wimberley II on Tripod

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://i3.photobucket.​com …ipse2013_ellwoo​d_mark.jpg  (external link) on photobucket

Fantastic shot, love the foreground interest!

ՕFlickr (external link)500px (external link)
Facebook (external link)
serial underexposer
Gear

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 29, 2015 12:09 |  #24

JohnPh wrote in post #17573595 (external link)
Fantastic shot, love the foreground interest!

Thanks very much John. I wish that the event had been earlier in the summer when the sea oats were at peak.

Steve

sponsored links

6,616 views & 4 likes for this thread
Solar Eclipse From the Coast
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.