Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 00:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to repair Cf pins 7d

kniveton
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 05, 2013 00:07 |  #1

Hey, I'm new to the forum but already have a repair need vmad

A few days ago one of my CF pins in my 7d bent. I was able to get it bent upright again, and everything seemed to be going great. But just today, it stopped recognizing cards. After looking inside the slot, it appears that the pin has gotten pushed down so far that it isn't making contact with the card. Do you have any solutions as to pull it back up? And if not, does anyone have a repair or service manual for the 7d so I can replace the whole reader? I'm a high schooler, so my budget is fairly limited. My 7d is my only camera so an option that's faster would be ideal. And as far as repairs go, I have a fair amount of knowledge with them as I repair phones/ replace cracked screens and fix laptops, but have never worked on a camera before.

Thanks!

I unicycle, surf, ski and take pictures :D. Canon 7D with a 24-70 2.8, 70-200 IS 2.8, and a 35 prime.

sponsored links
Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 05, 2013 01:30 |  #2

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=TjYeC7gqL5k (external link)

If you have the dexterity, you might be able to open your body up and replacing the CF reader unit altogether

This is a 20D teardown, so look up teardowns. Or call an expert service (KEH, Canon, etc).

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=u5Ats7beAxg (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,929 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 05, 2013 01:49 |  #3

if it helps any, there's a parts catalog listed in This thread

If you've worked on laptops & phones then a camera would be somewhat similar, just with different ribbon-connectors. The CF socket is part of the main board on the 7D so isn't replaceable separately although dismantling might get you a shot at straightening the pin & possibly putting a dab of epoxy on the back end so it doesn't push in.

Be aware that some pins protrude further than others so it might look a bit misleading from the outside...

hey & welcome to the forums!

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,901 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 05, 2013 07:20 |  #4

I have also seen mention of a "fix" that involves complete removal of the pin in the camera body and the insertion of a more or less permanent pin in the appropriate hole on the card.

Whatever is accomplished, if it works, don't tempt fate by removing and inserting the card. Learn how to transfer images using a cable connection.

eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 05, 2013 08:25 |  #5

Do not attempt to fix the pin problem if you don't have experience in this regard. If you bend the pin and it shorts, both the main PCB and PCB power will fry. (technically the fuse on the power pcb will blow, but good luck solder in a fuse that's the size of a piece of dust)
I replaced both boards on my 5d mark ii, but luckily I did it for a few hundred, vs $800 from the shop.
The replacement of a pin is a relatively simple task for camera repair place and should cost under $200.

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 05, 2013 08:37 |  #6

eddie3dfx wrote in post #16425967 (external link)
Do not attempt to fix the pin problem if you don't have experience in this regard. If you bend the pin and it shorts, both the main PCB and PCB power will fry. (technically the fuse on the power pcb will blow, but good luck solder in a fuse that's the size of a piece of dust)
I replaced both boards on my 5d mark ii, but luckily I did it for a few hundred, vs $800 from the shop.
The replacement of a pin is a relatively simple task for camera repair place and should cost under $200.

There are only a few pins on the connector that carry power.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,901 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 05, 2013 09:12 |  #7

pwm2 wrote in post #16425998 (external link)
There are only a few pins on the connector that carry power.

Pinouts are shown at http://allpinouts.org/​index.php/CompactFlash (external link). The grounds are the end points, pins 1, 25, 26, 50 and power is the center points, 13 and 38.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 05, 2013 09:56 |  #8

Pin straightening is basically a one chance only fix.

If the pin straightening "fix" didn't work the first time... the problem has reocurred... I'd say the CF socket is toast and needs to be replaced. So don't try to repair the one in there.... You'll never get the twice bent pin straight enough to keep working.

Yes, you can buy the necessary parts from Canon. But it's a pretty big job taking the camera apart and replacing the socket. Personally I wouldn't tackle it. There's too high a likelihood the entire camera would end up a paperweight, if I tried to do it myself.

It will probably cost a couple hundred $ to have the camera repaired by Canon, but I think it would be false economy to try to save a few bucks and end up without any camera at all.

I picked up a Digital Rebel (300D) cheap that had a bent pin, considered trying to fix it myself. But on closer inspection found the pin had shorted and fried the main boards and/or other things in the camera. So I'll just use it as a Canon Loyalty trade-in.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,946 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 05, 2013 10:29 as a reply to  @ amfoto1's post |  #9

The trick to any repair, if you are not initially comfortable about it, is to stand on the shoulders of others, ie. find all the videos that describe how to find all the screws on the 7D under the rubber grip, etc to get everything apart. Let others blaze the path telling you where to be careful, etc.

That coupled with a nice set of small 000 and 00 bits (like a Wiha set), will allow you to go far in dismantling and possibly fixing the camera. I am one of those that just need to see someone else do it, and then I can do it. I am not that queasy about pulling apart things like iphones, cameras, laptops, lenses, etc.

Patience, experience, videos from others, and tools go a long way into a DIY repair.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

kniveton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 05, 2013 23:20 |  #10

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still debating whether or not to attempt it myself, I'll call canon tomorrow to get an estimate of the repair price. I only paid $500 for my camera and have gotten about a good year of use from it, so if it's more than 2 or 3 hundred I'll probably attempt the repair myself and if I fail just pick up a new 70d. If I was to do the repair, would this be the part I need?
http://www.ebay.com …ories&hash=item​53fe2ecb2f (external link)

And is there a 7d service manual out there? I googled around but wasn't able to find any.

I unicycle, surf, ski and take pictures :D. Canon 7D with a 24-70 2.8, 70-200 IS 2.8, and a 35 prime.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,929 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 06, 2013 02:08 |  #11

kniveton wrote in post #16428201 (external link)
If I was to do the repair, would this be the part I need?

yep, that's the one (they even show the part number on it: cg2-2544-000)

If you're going to do the repair, make sure you're familiar with the various ribboncable release mechanisms as it's quite easy to break them if you haven't seen how they release - I bought a failed 350D at one stage purely to see how it comes apart, broke a couple of connectors & still managed to sell it for parts afterwards!

I haven't seen a service manual, the parts catalog has only relatively recently been around the interwebs. Have a look at the Lifepixel tutorial on IR conversion to see how it comes apart, see: http://www.lifepixel.c​om …diy-tutorials/canon-7d-ir (external link)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,929 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 06, 2013 02:11 |  #12

p.s. look out for the flash capacitor. :-p

kniveton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 17, 2013 14:44 |  #13

Thanks so much for all your help. My part came and I took my camera apart using the directions from the IR conversion site, and from their getting the cf reader out was very straightforward. Now I am up and running again. $30 on parts and 30 minutes of labor to solve a problem canon wanted 200+ for. I am a happy guy :). I would have made a video on the repair but well for obvious reasons I wasn't able to document it, lol.

Vendee
363 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 17, 2013 15:30 |  #14

kniveton wrote in post #16458755 (external link)
Thanks so much for all your help. My part came and I took my camera apart using the directions from the IR conversion site, and from their getting the cf reader out was very straightforward. Now I am up and running again. $30 on parts and 30 minutes of labor to solve a problem canon wanted 200+ for. I am a happy guy :). I would have made a video on the repair but well for obvious reasons I wasn't able to document it, lol.

Well done. Its a nice feeling to defy the odds and save money too :cool:

| EOS 6D| EOS 3 |EF 24-105mm f/4L|EF 70-200mm f/4L IS |EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | EF 50 f/1.8 II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Speedlite 430EX II |Pentax MX |Pentax ME Super|Pentax K1000|Kiev 4A|Yashica 24
My stuff:- www.giverin.co.uk (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 17, 2013 15:58 |  #15

How do these pins break? Is this true of sd cards as well? I've worked on pcs for 6-7 years and have not seen sd problems as of yet.

sponsored links

10,662 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to repair Cf pins 7d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.