Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 05 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony a7(R): Best thing that happened to Canon users this year.

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 05, 2013 14:50 |  #1

We have all been waiting for Canon to come up with something "revolutionary" for quite a while now.

Well, Sony, of all companies, delivered!
They delivered a high resolution, high DR camera that can use all of our Canon lenses.

Biggest loser from all this?
Canon you say? Not at all. Nikon.
They no longer can claim market share from frustrated Canon users who need more DR and MP.

Now we can keep all our lenses, buy a Metabones adapter and shoot away.
Bravo Sony!

You have managed to create the perfect global razor that we can attach our razor blades on.

Sony razor, Canon razor blades.
Bring it on! :cool:

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

sponsored links
Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 05, 2013 15:23 |  #2

Yeah, I think Nikon is in trouble. Real trouble. They don't have a sensor advantage vs Sony since Sony makes them for Nikon (and who do you think gets the best batches??).

Point and shoot sales are dropping really fast. Nikon has almost no business outside of consumer and professional photography - Canon has a lot of other businesses in printing, medical imagery, etc. Nikon is a one trick pony, and their interfaces and controls (in my experience with them) are kinda clunky.

If Sony can nail the interface...and the rest of the A7 works well in terms of autofocus (esp with the metabones) and the battery life is still OK given the power requirements of energizing a full frame sensor for an extended period, it will get interesting.

I keep wondering if Canon has some really new sensor up their sleeves, or if like Intel was for a while with AMD they were caught really flat footed. Will be interesting to see if Canon has a "Core" of their own to come back with.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

iowajim
516 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 05, 2013 15:35 |  #3

Camera phones must be killing the P&S market, with mirror-less options taking a bite out of the dSLR at an increasing rate. Given the live view performance of the 70D and the early reports of the Sony A7, the advantage of the dSLR is fading away.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 05, 2013 17:00 |  #4

I would take a Sony A7, metabones, and Canon 1.8/1.4 primes to keep weight and size down because the one thing Sony doesn't seem to understand is fast glass. As innovative as they are about cameras they are just clueless about lenses.

I'm excited about the A7 for sure! Wish it was Canon, but they are stubborn with mirrorless and goofed by missing a great opportunity dragging their feet on mirrorless :(

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 05, 2013 17:26 |  #5

BrickR wrote in post #16427298 (external link)
I would take a Sony A7, metabones, and Canon 1.8/1.4 primes to keep weight and size down because the one thing Sony doesn't seem to understand is fast glass. As innovative as they are about cameras they are just clueless about lenses.

(

Dejavu! Didn't you repeat the same thing in another thread? **smh** :rolleyes: It's a brand new system. Give them a chance to release more lenses. Idk where you think they're clueless since they have Zeiss to make primo glass! I would like to beleive that Sony has a chance in this market bcoz' they have two wins! The A7 and A7r!

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 05, 2013 22:09 |  #6

BrickR wrote in post #16427298 (external link)

I'm excited about the A7 for sure! Wish it was Canon, but they are stubborn with mirrorless and goofed by missing a great opportunity dragging their feet on mirrorless :(

Interested, do you have any of the Sony G range or Zeiss lens?
I did, and they were equal to an L Lens without the heavy duty metal L lens build quality

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 05, 2013 22:18 |  #7

The A7 & A7r seem to really be shaking things up. I can't remember this much anticipation for new cameras in quite a while, if ever. If the sales match the hype, great native glass will not be far behind. I've already got 2 great cameras and the a7r is still on my short list of purchases....

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 06, 2013 01:42 |  #8

jdizzle wrote in post #16427364 (external link)
Dejavu! Didn't you repeat the same thing in another thread? **smh** :rolleyes:

Oh man, the irony...

banding, banding, banding, banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

stang67
385 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 06, 2013 04:15 |  #9

To be honest I seem to think the opposite to everyone else. While the Nikon Df 'only' has 16mp, it looks great (imo), has a great sensor and most important of all, is fully compatible with great Nikon glass many current Nikon users own. I for one would be extremely anxious to pick one up if my current gear was Nikon due to the simple fact I would love full frame, but since it would be used out on the street, at family events, gatherings etc, I would like it to be smaller than a DSLR. With the Sony, the lens selection seems to be much more limited (not to mention an adaptor is required to use A-mount lenses) and not many people actually currently have Sony gear compared to Nikon and Canon etc so they would have to invest in a completely different system whereas with Nikon, the Df would just become a secondary camera. The Sony A7 and A7R definitely are impressive, however; especially for the price. I hope I have my facts right here :D

Canon 6D - Canon 1D Mk III - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Σ 105mm f/2.8 | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | Σ 35mm f/1.4 | 17-40mm f/4L
flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,061 posts
Gallery: 1813 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 06, 2013 04:27 |  #10

No fast glass from Sonie? Seriously....OK 2.8 is slow but I'm looking at a 200mm Minolta G Prime, right beside it is the 80-200G zoon, also 2.8.
Fast Nex glass? On another shelf I see the SEL35 1.8
Forgot to mention weight....matters to me. I carried an A77+70-400G all day=sweet on my muscles. I'm trying to think what Canon's equivalent
weighs? or do they have an equivalent?
Agreed limited compared to Canon but any of my Alpha glass via a handy adapter pops onto the Nex.
We did a trip couple of week ago and I got to shoot video with A77 compared to a 70D. As much as I love my Canon bodies (and soon to add another) Sony wins with video and THAT is what mass consumers want more than anything-to video everything.
In another vain Sony had the smarts to see that everyone carries a smartphone and their qx10 and 100 was pure brilliance--now whether it follows the Betamax, we'll see.
Agreed Nikon is dead meat. I added a Canon line up for what Nikon cannot do=macro/astro.
Nope,not a Sony fan boy or a Canon fan boy...lucky to get to pick which one I want to carry that day.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 06, 2013 06:34 |  #11

andrikos wrote in post #16428397 (external link)
Oh man, the irony...

banding, banding, banding, banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding,banding, banding, banding.

You put in all that effort searching that? :lol::lol: I'll keep on repeating it till Canon gets it right! :lol:

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 06, 2013 06:42 |  #12

jdizzle wrote in post #16428699 (external link)
You put in all that effort searching that? :lol::lol: I'll keep on repeating it till Canon gets it right! :lol:

It only took 30 seconds. Barely time enough to post twice on this forum... ;)

Don't think i don't agree with you. Canon is woefully behind in the sensor front.

If a car metaphor is to be used, they make great cars but their engines are still running with carburettors. Kind of like Nascar... ;)
Canon! We need Formula 1! :mad:

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,298 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 06, 2013 08:38 |  #13

andrikos wrote in post #16426941 (external link)
We have all been waiting for Canon to come up with something "revolutionary" for quite a while now.

What? The 70D's dual pixel sensor technology wasn't revolutionary? Come on: Dual. Pixel.

The only thing cooler than dual pixel is Quad Core Xeon Pixel - and that is no doubt coming.

Who needs outdated single pixel 36 MP sensors with "superior dynamic range" when we can have a Dual Pixel sensor with retro image quality? That's right: Nikon can have their new and cool retro-look camera, but Canon does real retro: retro sensors that harken back to the golden era of digital photography in the early part of the 21st century. ;)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 06, 2013 12:07 |  #14

No doubt dual pixel is a cool tech but we need more man!

How else are we going to achieve enormous post counts on various internet forums?
;)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 06, 2013 12:55 |  #15

andrikos wrote in post #16429578 (external link)
No doubt dual pixel is a cool tech but we need more man!

How else are we going to achieve enormous post counts on various internet forums?
;)

:lol:

sponsored links

450,080 views & 24 likes for this thread
Sony a7(R): Best thing that happened to Canon users this year.
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.