Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 06 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you NOT want to see on the new Canon 7D II

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 17, 2014 07:23 |  #181

alessandro2009 wrote in post #16910500 (external link)
1) Suck a lot of batteries if isn't disabled from the camera.

Only if using an old outdated chip and poor circuit design for it. I pulled the spec for a modern GPS chip that I've used in robotics recently, and a 7D battery could power the thing for about 6 months in its active mode (Actually calculating position) and 3 years in its low powered mode (where it is merely monitoring incoming signals so it can switch back to active mode to calculate position in about a second).

Oh, and the chip is 8mm x 8mm and 2mm high. Not exactly a hard thing to fit into a board.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links
Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
367 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 18, 2014 18:03 as a reply to  @ post 16431855 |  #182

I haven't visited this thread for a while and recently re-read my first post in (see below)

I do not want (please Canon):

•Video recording (I don't shoot video with a stills camera)
•GPS (I know where I have taken photos)
•A flippy, twisty, touch screen (I am able to understand controls on a camera, plus I am older than 12) and don't need something which won't stand up to the situations I take pictures in.
•The same sensor as the 70D (negligible improvement)
•Did I mention video recording
•Single slot card(but can live with this if you promise not to put any video on the camera)
•Any pre-set modes like sport or landscape to clutter up my mode dial
•Crazy high megapixel numbers please
•V....I....D....E....O

If the 'Canon Rumours' are true, I think I might be a very happy bunny (as we say over here) with the new 7D II. :) I have learned to live with the fact that video will be a part of the pacage though.

Call me Amanda please :)

Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 18, 2014 22:47 |  #183

EtherealZee wrote in post #16707577 (external link)
I think some points are being missed. I don't mind video, GPS, wifi, espresso maker... So long as it doesn't reduce the quality of the still images I take (primary purpose of the camera) - which, in current form, it does (due to AA filter being so darn thick).

I do mind. I'm paying for the R&D cost of developing & implementing these features, as well as the extra mark-up Canon tacks on due to these features being included.

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickr (external link) | EchoJ.deviantART (external link)

Hibino
60 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 19, 2014 02:47 |  #184

Echo Johnson wrote in post #17104560 (external link)
I do mind. I'm paying for the R&D cost of developing & implementing these features, as well as the extra mark-up Canon tacks on due to these features being included.

You seem to be under the impression that a 7D II without video would be cheaper than one with :p

Also I dare say the Magic Lantern team have put infinitely more effort into R&D than Canon is when it comes to their DSLR range video. Canon just slaps in a few different resolutions and frame rates and leaves it at that.

7D | Tamron 24-70 ƒ/2.8 | 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II | Sigma 35mm ƒ/1.4 | Tokina 11-16mm ƒ/2.8 | 430EX II | YN-568EX II

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 19, 2014 07:11 |  #185

"What I do NOT want to see on this Canon 7DII thread and others is people not understanding what sunk costs and "already paid for" R&D are..."

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

KatManDEW
672 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 19, 2014 07:37 |  #186

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #17104097 (external link)
I haven't visited this thread for a while and recently re-read my first post in (see below)

I do not want (please Canon):

•The same sensor as the 70D (negligible improvement)

Ditto. They can throw in all the bells and whistles they want. Just please improve the base functionality - the sensor.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,425 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 19, 2014 09:49 |  #187

I was firmly in the "stop griping about video, it comes free" camp but based on the last few Canon releases, I migh be changing my mind. Though true, video is a sunk cost and adding it does not change the base cost of the camera, what it seems to have done is changes Canon's focus. They seem to be putting in little effort in improving the camera from a still shooters point of view and concentrating on the video. So though video does not add to the cost, it does change their focus. Hopefully the new 7D will see significant improvements for us still shooters.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 19, 2014 10:23 |  #188

gjl711 wrote in post #17105282 (external link)
I was firmly in the "stop griping about video, it comes free" camp but based on the last few Canon releases, I migh be changing my mind. Though true, video is a sunk cost and adding it does not change the base cost of the camera, what it seems to have done is changes Canon's focus. They seem to be putting in little effort in improving the camera from a still shooters point of view and concentrating on the video. So though video does not add to the cost, it does change their focus. Hopefully the new 7D will see significant improvements for us still shooters.

I'm not really sure I agree with this statement.

The last 5 DSLR cameras released by canon were the T5, 70D, t5i, SL1, and 6D. Of those, only the 70D had any noticeable video upgrades, the "Dual Pixel AF". However, I could easily argue, this technology is an incredible upgrade to live view AF FOR STILLS, and happens to result in better AF for video as well. It's all about your paradigm.

As for the STM lenses, they're the inexpensive lens lines, so I really don't see why that's a change in focus. They're just making general purpose lens, more general purpose.

I'll agree I'd like to see sensor improvements, over and above the ISO noise bumps they've regularly given us for years.

electricme
472 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 19, 2014 10:26 |  #189

The twisty flippy touch screen is my favorite feature on the 70D i want it on my 6D!

Full ­ Auto ­ Shooter
33 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 19, 2014 12:26 as a reply to  @ electricme's post |  #190

Features I woudn't like on a 7d mark ii would be -

flip out screen
touch screen
flash
integrated grip
green auto mode

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 19, 2014 12:30 |  #191

Full Auto Shooter wrote in post #17105547 (external link)
Features I woudn't like on a 7d mark ii would be -

flip out screen
touch screen
flash
integrated grip
green auto mode

Given your username, I'm sure you're being super-ironic.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 19, 2014 12:50 |  #192

andrikos wrote in post #17105012 (external link)
"What I do NOT want to see on this Canon 7DII thread and others is people not understanding what sunk costs and "already paid for" R&D are..."

ha.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Full ­ Auto ­ Shooter
33 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 19, 2014 12:52 |  #193

andrikos wrote in post #17105552 (external link)
Given your username, I'm sure you're being super-ironic.

YOU GOT ME!!!

bw!

Full ­ Auto ­ Shooter
33 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 19, 2014 12:58 as a reply to  @ Full Auto Shooter's post |  #194

Not too sure I want a 46 megapixel sensor either!?

Is this good or bad?

http://www.product-reviews.net …atures-absent-from-specs/ (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,425 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 19, 2014 13:08 |  #195

Full Auto Shooter wrote in post #17105597 (external link)
Not too sure I want a 46 megapixel sensor either!?

Is this good or bad?

http://www.product-reviews.net …atures-absent-from-specs/ (external link)

I wonder if they are counting the dual pixel design as individual pixels? That would make more sense since this puts it in the 23mp range.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

28,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you NOT want to see on the new Canon 7D II
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.