Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 06 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you NOT want to see on the new Canon 7D II

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,306 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 07, 2013 07:26 |  #46

Neilyb wrote in post #16431476 (external link)
...BUT IF CANON ARE GOING TO PUT THAT LIGHT LOSING, DETAIL TRASHING DUAL PIXEL SENSOR in the 7D then it is time to buy a Nikon....

How is the dual pixel sensor loosing any light or trashing detail. From what I have read the two pixels are treated as one for the final image so the amount of light gathered and the detail that the sensor is capable of will be the same as if the pixels were one to begin with. Have you read differently?
http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …onfacing_pressq​uality.pdf (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 07, 2013 08:15 |  #47

I do not see how it is possible to split something into two and not lose a tiny bit? Even a fraction over those pixels which are dual = alot of light loss overall. On top of that Canon increased the pixel count on the 70D. Having seen shots I will not buy into it, at f8 where cameras and lenses should be tack sharp the detail is mushy. If you need video and AF then fine, go with the trade off but if my stills will lose out then I will skip Canon APS-c thankyou very much.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 07, 2013 08:28 |  #48

Neilyb wrote in post #16431806 (external link)
I do not see how it is possible to split something into two and not lose a tiny bit? Even a fraction over those pixels which are dual = alot of light loss overall. On top of that Canon increased the pixel count on the 70D. Having seen shots I will not buy into it, at f8 where cameras and lenses should be tack sharp the detail is mushy. If you need video and AF then fine, go with the trade off but if my stills will lose out then I will skip Canon APS-c thankyou very much.

You understand that the 70D Dual Pixel CMOS AF is only for Video (even at it's highest resolution, it is much lower than the sensor resolution) and live view. You have lost nothing with this feature.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

gjl711
55,306 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 07, 2013 08:32 |  #49

hairy_moth wrote in post #16431835 (external link)
You understand that the 70D Dual Pixel CMOS AF is only for Video..

Well.. that may be true that it was developed primarily for video but the dual pixel focus will work for stills just as effectively if you are shooting live view.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 07, 2013 08:34 |  #50

gjl711 wrote in post #16431845 (external link)
Well.. that may be true that it was developed primarily for video but the dual pixel focus will work for stills just as effectively if you are shooting live view.

Interesting place to have edited my statement. :)

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 07, 2013 10:08 |  #51

The dual pixels will be less efficient at the edges. There will be some additional light loss. It's up to Canon to lower noise accordingly so they can show an improvement in IQ using fewer photons. We will see how they manage.

What I'd like to see is some revolutionary new feature that DOES effect photo quality.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 07, 2013 16:15 |  #52

Neilyb wrote in post #16431476 (external link)
BUT IF CANON ARE GOING TO PUT THAT LIGHT LOSING, DETAIL TRASHING DUAL PIXEL SENSOR in the 7D ...

Of course every single review on the 70D so far has said that the sensor performance is at least the equal of the 7D, and perhaps a bit better. :rolleyes:

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 07, 2013 16:40 |  #53

jrbdmb wrote in post #16432889 (external link)
Of course every single review on the 70D so far has said that the sensor performance is at least the equal of the 7D, and perhaps a bit better. :rolleyes:

A lot has happened with DSLR manufacturers in 4 years. If the new sensor is not discernibly different, then isn't that a failure? Rather then saying thing like "at least equal" or "perhaps a bit better" they should be saying things like "a major improvement".

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 07, 2013 17:36 |  #54

Footbag wrote in post #16432970 (external link)
A lot has happened with DSLR manufacturers in 4 years. If the new sensor is not discernibly different, then isn't that a failure? Rather then saying thing like "at least equal" or "perhaps a bit better" they should be saying things like "a major improvement".

I don't disagree, but when you start talking to those actually use both Canon and Nikon/Sony, they usually don't find that much real world difference between them. Arguments between the Canon and Exmor camps seem to focus more on charts / tests / DXOMark scores, not on which cameras consistently capture better images.

As for the 70D, it seems the Dual Pixel AF is the "major improvement." An extra stop of DR or less high ISO noise would have been great, but it's not quite a "LIGHT LOSING, DETAIL TRASHING DUAL PIXEL SENSOR."

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 07, 2013 17:43 |  #55

jrbdmb wrote in post #16433075 (external link)
I don't disagree, but when you start talking to those actually use both Canon and Nikon/Sony, they usually don't find that much real world difference between them. Arguments between the Canon and Exmor camps seem to focus more on charts / tests / DXOMark scores, not on which cameras consistently capture better images.

Depends what you shoot and how much control you have over the lighting.

Most landscape photographers I know, at least, have completely dumped Canon, or only use Canon bodies for non-landscape purposes.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 07, 2013 17:44 |  #56

Canon still loses in the ability to lift shadows in post. If you don't do much of that, you won't notice the difference. Canon still has better color, IMO.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Busted ­ Knuckles
109 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 07, 2013 18:30 |  #57

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16429826 (external link)
I did mention several other things I didn't want, apart from video. Does anyone really want a flappy screen on the mkII?

I like the flippy screen. I have been surprised how often I miss it on the 5dIII

If you see me with a wrench - call 911. 5d3, T3i, 17-55 2.8, 50 1.8, 70-200 2.8 L II, 24-105 f4. YN 565, Precision Lupe attached to hacked extended eyecup (no sticky frame) - old enough to have owned an original F-1

Busted ­ Knuckles
109 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 07, 2013 18:34 |  #58

hairy_moth wrote in post #16431835 (external link)
You understand that the 70D Dual Pixel CMOS AF is only for Video (even at it's highest resolution, it is much lower than the sensor resolution) and live view. You have lost nothing with this feature.

You know that dual pixel is only for focusing!?!?!? handy do have for video, live view focus is MUCH quicker.

F8 on a crop body is beginning to suffer from pin hole effect.

If you see me with a wrench - call 911. 5d3, T3i, 17-55 2.8, 50 1.8, 70-200 2.8 L II, 24-105 f4. YN 565, Precision Lupe attached to hacked extended eyecup (no sticky frame) - old enough to have owned an original F-1

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 08, 2013 08:36 |  #59

Busted Knuckles wrote in post #16433190 (external link)
You know that dual pixel is only for focusing!?!?!? handy do have for video, live view focus is MUCH quicker.

F8 on a crop body is beginning to suffer from pin hole effect.

Yes, that's why I called it by its name: Dual Pixel CMOS AF.

But I'm interested to know what you mean by: "F8 on a crop body is beginning to suffer from pin hole effect." Can you please explain and document that statement? Because it sounds like nonsense.

gjl711
55,306 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 08, 2013 08:38 |  #60

hairy_moth wrote in post #16434430 (external link)
But I'm interested to know what you mean by: "F8 on a crop body is beginning to suffer from pin hole effect." Can you please explain and document that statement? Because it sounds like nonsense.

I'm guessing that what they meant to say is diffraction. The pin hole effect, DOF approaching infinity as the aperture gets smaller, many times is desirable but diffraction which is totally different is not.

sponsored links

27,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you NOT want to see on the new Canon 7D II
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.