Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 18:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox V850: Lithium-powered speedlight with remote control and HSS

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 06, 2013 18:56 |  #1

Godox's manual flash V850 has finally been released:

http://flashhavoc.com …ving-flash-now-available/ (external link)

Internal lithium battery pack, remote power control, and HSS-capable (additional trigger needed). These would probably be nice for complementing the CL-180/360 bare-bulb flashes as they share the same transmitter for remote power control. Not bad at $120 minus the trigger set. Who's getting one?

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 06, 2013 19:03 |  #2

that's pretty interesting. I wish it had some kind of internal receiver like the 560 III, but you can't beat the price for lithium (if it actually lasts and gives it a good recharge rate).

I couldn't find anywhere that stated whether it was a manual-only flash or if it did TTL?

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

amirg
THREAD ­ STARTER
532 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 06, 2013 19:05 |  #3

steelbluesleepr wrote in post #16430722 (external link)
that's pretty interesting. I wish it had some kind of internal receiver like the 560 III, but you can't beat the price for lithium (if it actually lasts and gives it a good recharge rate).

It may not be such a bad thing that the receiver is external. It's low-profile and should be fairly inexpensive. Not integrating it allows Godox to further refine their radio system without making the current flashes obsolete.

Facebook (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 06, 2013 23:50 |  #4

steelbluesleepr wrote in post #16430722 (external link)
I couldn't find anywhere that stated whether it was a manual-only flash or if it did TTL?

Only the center fire pin in the pictures. Manual only. But with remote power control and supports FP-sync with Cells-II so same flexibility as the 180/360.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 25, 2013 10:22 |  #5

Looks like Neewer has their branded version of this called TT850. I'm very tempted to give it a try since I already have a couple of AD-360s. Although the it recycles faster than a speedlite, but seems slower than the same with additional battery pack.

http://www.ebay.com …_trksid=p3984.m​1436.l2649 (external link)

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

amirg
THREAD ­ STARTER
532 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 25, 2013 10:29 as a reply to  @ EmaginePixel's post |  #6

They were quick to release their re-branded version (took them much longer with the AD180/360.) Looks tempting.

Facebook (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 25, 2013 12:26 |  #7

amirg wrote in post #16478675 (external link)
They were quick to release their re-branded version (took them much longer with the AD180/360.) Looks tempting.

Apparently, does not include the receiver. Without which it just a manual speedlite with a lithium battery. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,920 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 25, 2013 12:52 |  #8

yepper going to cost another 40.00 + to get the ft-16s

I AM SHOM

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 25, 2013 13:09 |  #9

dmward wrote in post #16478937 (external link)
Apparently, does not include the receiver. Without which it just a manual speedlite with a lithium battery. :-)

None of the V850s listed on eBay (and there are several) include the receiver, David.

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 25, 2013 13:25 |  #10

dmward wrote in post #16478937 (external link)

True.. but there are more advantages also. Based on the description, here are my assumptions.

* Single battery module that's more than double the capacity of 4 AA's.
* H-sync capable via YN-622C or Cells II.
* Remote control via FT-16s.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

amirg
THREAD ­ STARTER
532 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 25, 2013 13:25 |  #11

tetrode wrote in post #16479037 (external link)
None of the V850s listed on eBay (and there are several) include the receiver, David.

Exactly, so this is still much cheaper than the Godox branded ones.

Facebook (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,920 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 25, 2013 15:05 |  #12

Cheetah I think is going to be branding and selling these after some testing?

I AM SHOM

amirg
THREAD ­ STARTER
532 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 25, 2013 15:16 |  #13

abbadon31 wrote in post #16479341 (external link)
Cheetah I think is going to be branding and selling these after some testing?

Yes, as confirmed by Edward in the other thread:

CheetahStand wrote in post #16464660 (external link)
V850 is coming, just pass our abuse test. Waiting for wireless receiver come in this week.. We will test it and make sure it works well with 180 and 360.will post the result on CheetahStand Facebook page

Facebook (external link)

malow
169 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 25, 2013 15:39 as a reply to  @ amirg's post |  #14

i will sell my yongnuos and get 3 v850. im waiting to get li-ion flashes for ages... i will mod the hell out of them.

for start, will use turnigy nanotech external batteries (3x the capacity for the same price of a v850 battery) . as i have hobby chargers, i can fully charge in series 4 batteries in 1 hour and half.

if they had a "quick release" hot shoe, like Canon 580ex2, i would sell it too. will see if is changeable.

only waiting for a review to see how much can i make them "not turn of", or if it wake up from sleep by firing it on the hot-shoe pin.

will get the FT-16s too.

EDIT: gadget infinity got the FT-16S kit, $45 (including shipping), and $28 the receiver only (including shipping)

mods: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/malow/ (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 25, 2013 15:49 |  #15

I think this unit is a great addition to the Godox family of flashes.
It is a perfect little brother for the 180 which is a perfect little brother for the 360.
A couple of things to remember;
A) H mode with Godox/Cheetah lights is NOT High Speed Sync. HSS is a Canon proprietary technology that incorporates ETTL for metering.

B) To enable H mode firing a Cells-II or Cells-IIc, depending on camera model, or other FP-sync capable trigger is required.

C) the F-16s is required for remote power control via the x-sync trigger/power controller.

Dave, I noticed, and for a couple of the really cheap ones it seems like the charger might be an optional extra. :-)

sponsored links

79,542 views & 1 like for this thread
Godox V850: Lithium-powered speedlight with remote control and HSS
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.