Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Nov 2013 (Thursday) 19:52
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Is the Red Ring worth paying the extra price?"
Yes
84%
No
16%

313 voters, 313 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is the Red ring worth it?

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 11, 2013 13:40 |  #106
bannedPermanent ban

Tmuussoni wrote in post #16442601 (external link)
You seem to have an obsession with this disposable-thing. Both warranties work the same way. If the product breaks you send it for repairs. That's it. You get a new product or the old one is repaired. Does not matter if it's Canon or Samyang. It's just that the Samyang offers so much longer warranty it is definately an advantage if you ask me. And where I live neither Samyang nor Canon has a local service center so that's kinda silly argument. It depends where you live.

Superior in what way exactly? IQ is certainly is not the answer here if you ask me. I'm willing to bet 99 % of people are perfectly happy with their Samyang 14mm. It tells us it's a great product with fantastic image quality. Particularly great in astrophotography (it has less CA than then Canon by the way). And so what if it happens to be so cheap? It makes it even more attractive. But so what?

And in my opinion here are all the reviews you need:
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=6249​11&page=53
https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=90927​2&page=183

Both lenses make fantastic images. That's the main thing. I'm still glad if you are happy with your investment. I know I am with mine. Have a nice day :)

You send it for repairs? Where? There are NO service centers, in other words, this lens cannot be repaired (maybe somewhere in China...good luck with that!) Cheap can be good. I loved my VW bug prior to becoming auto literate.

How many L lenses have you owned? How many have you sold? Any bias?

My Canon service center is 4 miles away. Probably never need it for this lens. Ever. Oh well....

Dave

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,229 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 11, 2013 13:42 |  #107

it took me a day to repair a busted rokinon 8mm fisheye lens...it's all manual, it's not rocket science, there are plenty of independent repair places that could fix anything but a busted element...

with the repair rate data from lensrentals.com it may be a good thing that irvine center is so close to you :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 11, 2013 13:44 |  #108
bannedPermanent ban

DreDaze wrote in post #16442709 (external link)
it took me a day to repair a busted rokinon 8mm fisheye lens...it's all manual, it's not rocket science, there are plenty of independent repair places that could fix anything but a busted element...

So we don't need service centers for lens? Parts? Really?

Dave

DreDaze
18,229 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 11, 2013 13:52 |  #109

Bakewell wrote in post #16442711 (external link)

does every repair need new parts? your post acted as if it was impossible to repair a broken lens...i'm pointing out that it's not

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 11, 2013 13:59 |  #110
bannedPermanent ban

DreDaze wrote in post #16442740 (external link)
does every repair need new parts? your post acted as if it was impossible to repair a broken lens...i'm pointing out that it's not

Are you saying that one should be able to repair their own Samyang 14mm? Service not required! Com-mon man!!

I think you should buy the lens and keep your fingers crossed!

Dave

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 11, 2013 14:07 |  #111

Bakewell wrote in post #16442703 (external link)
You send it for repairs? Where? There are NO service centers, in other words, this lens cannot be repaired (maybe somewhere in China...good luck with that!) Cheap can be good. I loved my VW bug prior to becoming auto literate.

How many L lenses have you owned? How many have you sold? Any bias?

My Canon service center is 4 miles away. Probably never need it for this lens. Ever. Oh well....

If there's one thing I've learned for a lens to have a huge price tag does not mean it's automatically the best lens in every category like you seem to think. Of course I have owned whole bunch of L-lenses. At this particular moment I own exactly , apart from some older FD-lenses. But that is merely a coincidence how my lens collection has turned out to be lately. For example I found the Sigma 35 Art better than the 35L and Zeiss 135/f2 better than the 135L. But what does that has to do with anything? My next L-lens is probably going to be a telephoto if that matters. And no, I don't think i'm biased. I rather have open mind to all lens manufacturers. Doesn't matter if it's Canon, Nikon, Samyang, Leica, Zeiss and so on. A good product is a good product. It's that simple. You simply make it sound as if only Canon is the only manufacturer capable of making quality products and that Samyang is made from paper and you simply look at it and it will magically break down into ashes. It simply could not be further away from the truth. :shock:

I live in Europe. No, I never had to send my Samyangs for repairs. I've sent Canon 50/1.4 once for repairs and I have no idea where they eventually repaired it or in what country. But frankly I don't even really care as long as warranty is valid. Here it's the seller's responsibility to take care of warranty issues if warranty is still valid. It would be stupid to try repair something yourself if it's still under warranty. And the way I understood Samyang has a large distribution center in Poland (if you live in Europe) so that's probably where they will fix them. And even if it would be repaired in China I would not care. And by the way Samyang is from Korea, not China. The main thing that it's repaired and the maintence network works. And it certainly works here for Samyang just like it works for Canon. After all it is the law (consumer protection law should be pretty similar in all EU countries).

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 11, 2013 14:07 |  #112
bannedPermanent ban

Bakewell wrote in post #16442711 (external link)

Why repair...just buy another one. You can buy 5 and have 4 sitting in your closet just in case, which most likely never occur.

Just like any L lens, the 14L has very much diminishing returns in any performance for it's price difference compared to the Samyang 14mm. Things like weather sealing and exif data just don't add up to the vast price difference. Image quality wise, you would be hard pressed to see any difference in print...which is really where the rubber hits the road.

DreDaze
18,229 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 11, 2013 14:18 |  #113

Bakewell wrote in post #16442770 (external link)
Are you saying that one should be able to repair their own Samyang 14mm? Service not required! Com-mon man!!

I think you should buy the lens and keep your fingers crossed!

after fixing the 8mm, i think i could probably fix a broken 14mm...from googling repair videos before, they all seem to pretty much function the same on the inside

and i believe i did say independent repair centers...i believe they could probably fix them easily

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 11, 2013 14:30 |  #114
bannedPermanent ban

Tmuussoni wrote in post #16442795 (external link)
If there's one thing I've learned for a lens to have a huge price tag does not mean it's automatically the best lens in every category like you seem to think. Of course I have owned whole bunch of L-lenses. At this particular moment I own exactly , apart from some older FD-lenses. But that is merely a coincidence how my lens collection has turned out to be lately. For example I found the Sigma 35 Art better than the 35L and Zeiss 135/f2 better than the 135L. But what does that has to do with anything? My next L-lens is probably going to be a telephoto if that matters. And no, I don't think i'm biased. I rather have open mind to all lens manufacturers. Doesn't matter if it's Canon, Nikon, Samyang, Leica, Zeiss and so on. A good product is a good product. It's that simple. You simply make it sound as if only Canon is the only manufacturer capable of making quality products and that Samyang is made from paper and you simply look at it and it will magically break down into ashes. It simply could not be further away from the truth. :shock:

I live in Europe. No, I never had to send my Samyangs for repairs. I've sent Canon 50/1.4 once for repairs and I have no idea where they eventually repaired it or in what country. But frankly I don't even really care as long as warranty is valid. Here it's the seller's responsibility to take care of warranty issues if warranty is still valid. It would be stupid to try repair something yourself if it's still under warranty. And the way I understood Samyang has a large distribution center in Poland (if you live in Europe) so that's probably where they will fix them. And even if it would be repaired in China I would not care. And by the way Samyang is from Korea, not China. The main thing that it's repaired and the maintence network works. And it certainly works here for Samyang just like it works for Canon. After all it is the law (consumer protection law should be pretty similar in all EU countries).

Of course you're biased! You've owned 9 Canon lenses and now you own 0. Why? Canon is inferior? Everyone else is superior? What else can be assumed?

Dave

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 11, 2013 14:33 |  #115
bannedPermanent ban

DreDaze wrote in post #16442833 (external link)
after fixing the 8mm, i think i could probably fix a broken 14mm...from googling repair videos before, they all seem to pretty much function the same on the inside

and i believe i did say independent repair centers...i believe they could probably fix them easily

There you are! Same for everyone! Sorry but that is a ridiculous premise!

Dave

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 11, 2013 14:35 |  #116
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #16442799 (external link)
Why repair...just buy another one. You can buy 5 and have 4 sitting in your closet just in case, which most likely never occur.

Just like any L lens, the 14L has very much diminishing returns in any performance for it's price difference compared to the Samyang 14mm. Things like weather sealing and exif data just don't add up to the vast price difference. Image quality wise, you would be hard pressed to see any difference in print...which is really where the rubber hits the road.

OK. Not the best for the environment, but something worth talking about.

Dave

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 11, 2013 14:54 |  #117

Bakewell wrote in post #16442871 (external link)
Of course you're biased! You've owned 9 Canon lenses and now you own 0. Why? Canon is inferior? Everyone else is superior? What else can be assumed?

I never said that. You are now putting words into my mouth. Sure there were Canon products that I never were truly happy with such as the 50/1.4 since it's such ancient optical design with unpleasant bokeh for my taste. But like I said it's more like series of coincidences or for the simply fact that at the particular moment I needed the money to finanse others lenses. Or that I could get an better or equal lens for same or less money. The Samyang 14/2.8 is one of those lenses. What ever rocks your boat, right? Everyone else is doing the same. Right now I am particularly interested adapting old vintage manual focus L-lenses for every day use and we'll see how that will turn out.

But ok this conversation is not really moving forward. Time to move on.

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

DreDaze
18,229 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 11, 2013 15:09 |  #118

Bakewell wrote in post #16442879 (external link)
There you are! Same for everyone! Sorry but that is a ridiculous premise!

it's not any more ridiculous than your statement that the lenses can't be repaired...at least i have proof proving that one wrong...

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 11, 2013 15:11 |  #119

Sirrith wrote in post #16440518 (external link)
Just because its an L doesn't mean it has weather sealing. The example given 35L vs Sigma 35, neither lens has weather sealing.

That's funny, coming from you.

To my knowledge there are like 4 L lenses that does not have weathersealing, the 70-200 f/4, the 35L, the 24L and the TS-E 24L.. but thats to MY knowledge. BUT a weathersealed lens does not mean it can be in a rainstorm or a duststorm and nothing bad will ever happen. Normal rain and normal dust should not be a problem for weathersealed lenses.

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 11, 2013 15:16 |  #120
bannedPermanent ban

Tmuussoni wrote in post #16442948 (external link)
I never said that. You are now putting words into my mouth. Sure there were Canon products that I never were truly happy with such as the 50/1.4 since it's such ancient optical design with unpleasant bokeh for my taste. But like I said it's more like series of coincidences or for the simply fact that at the particular moment I needed the money to finanse others lenses. Or that I could get an better or equal lens for same or less money. The Samyang 14/2.8 is one of those lenses. What ever rocks your boat, right? Everyone else is doing the same. Right now I am particularly interested adapting old vintage manual focus L-lenses for every day use and we'll see how that will turn out.

But ok this conversation is not really moving forward. Time to move on.

You didn't have to say that...it's indicated in your gear list.

Dave

sponsored links

17,621 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is the Red ring worth it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.