Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?

OneDeep
THREAD ­ STARTER
216 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 14, 2013 07:54 |  #331

Frodge wrote in post #16450777 (external link)
What exact camera and lenses do you own?
I've been fooling with photography for 28 years. The new rebels blow away cameras from 25 years ago. Seriously. Also what are you shooting? My guess is that fr the way you phrase the question, is that you're not sure. It also seems you're focused in what other folks think of your camera. I've foud that photography is a hobby where you can't think about what others think. You're walking around with some obtrusive piece of equipment on your neck. Use your camera and maybe get a lens or two.

600D with kit lens, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4. I'm shooting mostly portraits and soon my fitness clients. Not weddings so I think what I have so far is good enough. It wasn't that I cared about what people think of my camera. I created this thread because it felt like the interwebs looked down on rebel users or maybe it's just the users who keep they camera in automatic mode.

Personal Trainer with random hobbies.

sponsored links
Blaster6
238 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 14, 2013 07:55 |  #332

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16450282 (external link)
The courteous thing to do is to change the EXIF of images you upload to at least a prosumer body, lest you insult the interwebz.

I change the EXIF on all my camera phone images to 1Dx.

No, I never claimed to be outstanding in the field of photography. I said I was out standing in the field taking photos.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 14, 2013 08:07 |  #333

OneDeep wrote in post #16450752 (external link)
So when it's time to update should I update the lens or camera?

"Time to update" implies that there is some limiting factor with your current gear and skill combination. Always be assessing your limiters, focus on the skill-based stuff, but eventually you're going to need to upgrade something. The choice should narrow down between bodies and lenses pretty quickly based on the specific limiter being addressed.

For me, I bought a T2i and a 70-200 f/2.8L in the same month, to get started in this hobby. It took me about two years to get to the point that I was limited by the body. I could not get a good keeper rate with butterfly swimmers coming straight at the camera. T2i was too slow, and focus was greatly challenged. I did some research, had a ~$1200 budget, and narrowed it down to the 7D and the 1D Mark iii to address these limitations. I got the 1D3, and was immediately rewarded with that limiter being crushed, and I've been back to skill-based limiters ever since... other than reach... that one is getting me every so often lately.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

frankwite
400 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 14, 2013 09:02 |  #334

vengence wrote in post #16450276 (external link)
Personally, I look at the exif of a picture to see what body took the photo before I decide if I like it or not. If it's a rebel I immediately hate it.

Hilarious! :lol:

cab ny wrote in post #16450602 (external link)
funny seems like the people who criticize the Rebel act like they never had one

This sums it up! So true!

Blaster6 wrote in post #16450878 (external link)

:cool:

5D ll | 5D | SL1 | Lumix LX7 | 24-105L| 70-200L| 135L| 85 1.8| 50 1.4| 28 1.8| 50 1.8 ll| 40 2.8 STM| 35 2.0|75-300 lll|18-55 STM| 28-75 2.8

RevvdImages
106 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 14, 2013 09:35 |  #335

waterrockets wrote in post #16450896 (external link)
"Time to update" implies that there is some limiting factor with your current gear and skill combination. Always be assessing your limiters, focus on the skill-based stuff, but eventually you're going to need to upgrade something. The choice should narrow down between bodies and lenses pretty quickly based on the specific limiter being addressed.

Exactly this. As much as I *could* and sometimes would like to go splurge on an actual video camera since I mainly do video, I just can't say that may work is up to the skill level of deserving a $3000+ camera. The only real limitation I have with the DSLR for video is ISO performance, which I can mitigate with indoor lighting, but night shoots are pretty much out of the question unless I use supplementary lighting.

7D / Canon 15-85mm / Canon 70-300mm USM / Canon 50mm 1.8 II / Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro / 430EX II / Macro LED Flash Ring / Rode VideoMic Pro / Zoom H1
Flickr (external link)
My Youtube Comedy Channel (external link)

tdredi
43 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 14, 2013 09:39 |  #336

i've still got my OG original digital rebel. put on a good lense and the rest of the story is history.....i shoot in raw and yes, a whopping 6.3mp camera pic in raw is more than enough...

webmaster for topspeed2nr.com | canon 7D & 40D powered

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 14, 2013 09:50 as a reply to  @ frankwite's post |  #337

sjones wrote in post #16440514 (external link)
The attitude, if serious and not facetious, that a "Rebel with a cheap lens is a joke" speaks volumes about the myopic ignorance that still intrudes the photography world.

Use what you need, use what you want. If it's a US$50,000 set up, fine. If it's a pinhole camera, fine.

After my beginnings with a Minolta SRT-201 back in the 70's, I first went digital with a series of unsatisfying point and shoot models and brands. I still have one, a Canon A720 IS for which I also bought an underwater housing to use while scuba diving.

My first DSLR was a T1i with 18-55 IS kit lens. It was a fine setup, no complaints about the photos I got with it. I used it for a year, then moved to the 60D, solely for the added control features. I wanted the dedicated back button focus, the back dial, and the top controls. Image quality is a wash. Durability remains to be seen. The Rebel took a leap off my car seat, bounced off the floor and skidded across the pavement one time - no damage but for a tiny little scratch on the bottom of the case. I haven't done anything with the 60D to equal that. Both are capable of capturing images of similar sharpness. I shoot RAW and PP so that is also pretty equal.

Since I like landscape work, I might enjoy a FF, but I don't feel that I'm particularly limited by not having one. I am not, nor have I any intentions of ever pursuing photography professionally.

I have shots done with film, P&S, Rebel, and 60D. I mostly cant tell the difference in normal viewing.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3703/10053804924_bbf6586fb1_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …58812694@N08/10​053804924/  (external link)
img245 (external link) by Preeb (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/10381133934_72ec3dc9aa_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …58812694@N08/10​381133934/  (external link)
Tree (external link) by Preeb (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7339/8981732259_1109279c0c_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/58812694@N08/8​981732259/  (external link)
Office (external link) by Preeb (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2836/10826045515_73e5fccc33_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …58812694@N08/10​826045515/  (external link)
VWM (external link) by Preeb (external link), on Flickr

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 14, 2013 10:26 |  #338
bannedPermanent ban

OneDeep wrote in post #16450752 (external link)
So when it's time to update should I update the lens or camera?

May I suggest...the FILTER!

Dave

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 14, 2013 11:43 |  #339

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16449375 (external link)
Gentlemen...I leave you boys to play nicely together for a day and look what happens? I come back 4 pages later and we're arguing. ;-)a So lets sum up what we've learned so far. #1. The Rebel is a perfectly wonderful camera and those who look down on it have a "little man complex". #2. You shouldn't bow to peer pressure and go FF just because some people are bullies and/or mediocre photographers so they buy "the best" camera equipment in an act to ease their inferiority complex or in an attempt to improve their photography skills, neither of which works. Go FF if you want and can afford it but do it because YOU want to or need to in order to achieve your personal goals with your photography. #3. I have a witty and sharp sense of humor. #4. There are many legitimate reasons to grip your camera, but listing them totally kills my buzz and personal amusement. #5. Some people have strong opinions on whether or not anyone without a degree can actually be called a "professional photographer". Personally, I've never referred to myself that way but after looking up the definition of "professional", I just may start. ;-)a Professional: "relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill." I've had education and training and several people on POTN have mentioned that I even have some "skill". (I'm totally kidding about calling myself a "professional", I'll just stick with "landscape" or "Fine art photographer".) #6 There are some wonderful people on this thread that ALSO happen to have a great sense of humor. And finally, #7. Any person who quotes any portion of this comment with a negative response- is clearly one of the POTN members that is completely lacking in the sense of humor and fun personality department. Yeah, I said it. :-P

This is terrible! No matter how hard I think, I can't come up with a clever retort!...;)

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 14, 2013 12:47 |  #340

OneDeep wrote in post #16450875 (external link)
600D with kit lens, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4. I'm shooting mostly portraits and soon my fitness clients. Not weddings so I think what I have so far is good enough. It wasn't that I cared about what people think of my camera. I created this thread because it felt like the interwebs looked down on rebel users or maybe it's just the users who keep they camera in automatic mode.

For portraits I would say you're in pretty good shape. Don't listen to the haters. I've sold many photos produced from a T3i.

SunTsu
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 14, 2013 13:31 |  #341

People often confuse the artistic value of a photograph with the image quality. A photograph can have excellent image quality yet be "boring", "not well composed" etc.

From a feature perspective, possibly IQ perspective, gear perspective, build perspective, etc, there are certainly many people who will consider a Rebel a "joke." Sorry...it's the truth.

On the other hand, you will hear a lot of opinion (as seen above) that the artistic quality is the most important thing. I don't necessarily disagree but it's naive to believe that the gear doesn't matter. It does. If gear didn't matter, there would be few people on this forum.

Then there are people who want to capture the best possible IQ given their talent. I'm one of those people. I don't ever say I'm a great photographer, but for the photos I take, I want them to be the best IQ possible.

If someone tells you that an already great photo wouldn't be better with better IQ, then they are likely lying to you and to themselves. Now whether that improved IQ is perceivable to everyone is a different matter. An example is where some people do over HDR and over saturation. I think that stuff looks like sh*t but many people love it like they love too much bass in their music.

Gear matters. Period. There is a reason the most successful photographers in the world use the BEST gear they want and can get. The statement, "It's the photographer that matters and not the gear" is so widely taken out of context, it's not funny.

Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm [COLOR=#000000]F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 14, 2013 13:40 |  #342

SunTsu wrote in post #16451599 (external link)
People often confuse the artistic value of a photograph with the image quality. A photograph can have excellent image quality yet be "boring", "not well composed" etc.

An embarrassingly large percentage of my shots being good representatives of this...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 14, 2013 14:16 |  #343

Blaster6 wrote in post #16450878 (external link)

That's the spirit!

cab ny wrote in post #16450602 (external link)
funny seems like the people who criticize the Rebel act like they never had one

I've had one, but then I've grown to be a REAL photographer and I left it behind. All the pictures I took with it had to go as well.

It got messy when I had to get destroy rebel prints I've given to people.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sirquack
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 14, 2013 14:24 |  #344

Finally finished the thread. Good points by all. I am at the point where I will likely being going to FF in the future. But there is no way I am giving up my T3i when I do. There are pros and cons for each system. I will be going to FF to get better ISO performance. Maybe a little more FPS, but I will use my APS-c to get the extra range out of my long lenses. And I will use whatever FF I get to get the width out of my short lenses.
I know people with crop and FF bodies and most of them use both and setting photos from both types of cameras side by side printed, I would tell you I can't tell the difference on most of them. Once in awhile they use high ISO and I can guess it was using a crop due to noise, but that is about it.
No need to hate the camera, no matter what it is. But I will always hate the people who don't respect people simply because they choose to use different gear. I don't even get the folks that hate on Canon vs Nikon. It's a freaking camera.
And I don't get the pro vs hobbyist thing either. I know plenty of people with no formal education that I consider pro's. And I know several people with degrees, not photo related that suck at what they are certified/educated in.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 14, 2013 14:31 |  #345

sirquack wrote in post #16451718 (external link)
Finally finished the thread. Good points by all. I am at the point where I will likely being going to FF in the future. But there is no way I am giving up my T3i when I do. There are pros and cons for each system. I will be going to FF to get better ISO performance. Maybe a little more FPS, but I will use my APS-c to get the extra range out of my long lenses. And I will use whatever FF I get to get the width out of my short lenses.
I know people with crop and FF bodies and most of them use both and setting photos from both types of cameras side by side printed, I would tell you I can't tell the difference on most of them. Once in awhile they use high ISO and I can guess it was using a crop due to noise, but that is about it.
No need to hate the camera, no matter what it is. But I will always hate the people who don't respect people simply because they choose to use different gear. I don't even get the folks that hate on Canon vs Nikon. It's a freaking camera.
And I don't get the pro vs hobbyist thing either. I know plenty of people with no formal education that I consider pro's. And I know several people with degrees, not photo related that suck at what they are certified/educated in.

Great post. What ff are you looking at?

sponsored links

84,322 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.