Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?

Blaster6
238 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 06, 2013 08:24 |  #481

trewyn15 wrote in post #16505971 (external link)
?.. point being, no one wins on the internet ;)

It has been said winning an argument on the internet is just like winning the special olympics.

No, I never claimed to be outstanding in the field of photography. I said I was out standing in the field taking photos.

sponsored links
trewyn15
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 06, 2013 08:27 |  #482

Blaster6 wrote in post #16505975 (external link)
Anyone spouting off about how a full frame is always better probably has a very narrow range of photography experience. I have both crop and full frame. They serve different purposes. Some people don't understand a Rebel is a tool for a certain kind of job and even has some advantages. If they can't understand this then the joke is on them.

I simply cannot afford Full-frame.. or else I would try it out. For that reason and the fact that I shoot photos for leisure purposes only, I will probably always be on a crop sensor.

That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a rebel, looking into something more along the lines of 70D or 60D, depending on funds in about a year.

That being said, I see no problem with a Rebel or 1D for that matter. Like you said, both have different purposes. Can they produce similar images? Of course. Can it possibly take more effort to get that (lower overall quality) image with a Rebel? Sure.

Mitch
Canon T3 - Canon 60D - Canon Rebel 2000
Canon EOS M - Canon PowerShot SD1100IS
Gear/Feedback

trewyn15
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 06, 2013 08:27 |  #483

Blaster6 wrote in post #16505981 (external link)
It has been said winning an argument on the internet is just like winning the special olympics.

Lot of people I know on Facebook win both :D

Mitch
Gear/Feedback

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 06, 2013 08:57 |  #484

The winning isn't fun anyway -- it's the arguing that keeps us coming back.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

DwainRowe
783 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 06, 2013 09:08 |  #485

trewyn15 wrote in post #16505940 (external link)
This is starting to make sense.

The Full frame guys here are like the Ferrari owners. The stuck up ones.

Uh, oh. I have a 6D (FF) and a T2i (Crop). I have an L lens and some non-L lenses. Now I'm having an identity crisis. Which should I be, stuck up or humbly creating awesome images? :lol::lol::cool:

6D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 50mm f1.4 USM -|- Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | Σ 10-20 f3.5 EX DC | Σ 70-300 4-5.6 DG Macro (Yes, I am cheap) | Speedlite 580EXII | YN622c
EOS M | EFM 22 f/2

trewyn15
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 06, 2013 09:09 |  #486

waterrockets wrote in post #16506056 (external link)
The winning isn't fun anyway -- it's the arguing that keeps us coming back.

That's for damn sure :)

DwainRowe wrote in post #16506082 (external link)
Uh, oh. I have a 6D (FF) and a T2i (Crop). I have an L lens and some non-L lenses. Now I'm having an identity crisis. Which should I be, stuck up or humbly creating awesome images? :lol::lol::cool:

Certainly not the second one :D

Mitch
Gear/Feedback

DwainRowe
783 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 06, 2013 09:13 |  #487

trewyn15 wrote in post #16506086 (external link)
Certainly not the second one :D

Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol:

6D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 50mm f1.4 USM -|- Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | Σ 10-20 f3.5 EX DC | Σ 70-300 4-5.6 DG Macro (Yes, I am cheap) | Speedlite 580EXII | YN622c
EOS M | EFM 22 f/2

6-string59
68 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 10, 2013 22:39 as a reply to  @ DwainRowe's post |  #488

This may be a bit long, but I think it's a timely question.
I wouldn't feel the least bit down about your choice of camera, or what others may say about it. I own a T3i, (everywhere else it's known as the 600D) and it's an absolutely great camera for beginners to the hobbyist and even some professionals I know for backup, or where a particular scenario coul put a multi thousand dollar piece of kit at risk. One fellow who I've learned a lot from uses his almost exclusively for his macro and wildlife work, and uses full frame for his architectural shots. I chose mine on his recommendation for macro and wildlife, and for the prominence of great reviews in mags and online. I love it. So what if "soccer moms" use it? all that says is it's a popular DSLR that appeals to the masses, yet still packs features that are every bit as advanced as many a midrange DSLR.

A guy at my camera shop and I were talking about this several day ago in fact. We both noticed that recently since FF cameras are finally coming down to a more hobbyist/enthusiast pricepoint, that the amount of crop sensor, and entry level model bashing in general has hit a particular high.

With that, keep in mind that the camera market is advancing so quickly, that that entry level camera of today, would've been considered a tech marvel several years ago for it's features, image quality and speed. Look at megapixel counts...Even 8 or 9 years ago, the concept of most cameras today having 18, or 24 M.P.'s was hardly considered possible yet affordable.

Seriously, I'm seeing more sadsack reviews lately about how bummed out people are that they spent money on "amateurish" crop frames, and now they just have to step up to FF to be taken "seriously". Crop sensors still make up the bulk of the market, and with wise lens choices...frankly who cares? it's not like you can tell by the picture what camera it was taken on. There's so many variables.

The bottom line is the Rebel line are a quality product.To your point in your original post, if you practice your craft (not you specifically, but you know what I mean) and get to know what you and your equipment are capable of, you can capture absolutely stunning images, no matter what badge designation is mounted to the body.

My advice is don't get caught up in all the consumerist hype. Enjoy your camera.
Remember, it's a lot like the car world. There's Ford guys, Chevy Guys, Dodge Guys, etc. Everyone thinks their's is better, and some go to great lengths to put the other guys down.
it's no different for any gear driven hobby or profession. You can drive yourself nuts trying to keep up with all the nonsense.
Now go take some pictures!!;)

Shane

armyslowrdr
144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 10, 2013 22:48 |  #489

True dat Shane ! I've progressed from Specialized/Trek/Giant Bikes (which are heaps better than walmart bikes) up to Pivot .... but would never put a rider down no matter what wheel's he's on.

I too have a 3ti and love it--also an original digital Rebel... and by Thursday evening a 70D. Have I mastered the 3ti...of course not. Not even begun. But we can all enjoy our gear.

5D Mark IV, 6D,70D, 3Ti, Rebel, Tamron 150-600, Tamron 15-30, Canon 400 F5.6L, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG, Tamron 200-500 F5-6.3, Canon 35 F2, Canon 50 F1.8, Canon EF100 F2.8 USM, Tamron SP 85 F1.8, Tamron SP 10-24 F3.5-4.5, Tamron 28-75 F2.8. Tamron SP 24-70 F2.8 VC, Tamron SP 45 F1.8, Rokinon 12 F2.8, Rokinon 24 TS. Sirui and Manfrotto tripod and monopod. Canon 600EX-RT, 430EXII, MR 14-EX. Billingham, Tamrac and Peak Design bags. Think Tank Harness and speedbelt. flickr (external link)

6-string59
68 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 10, 2013 23:16 |  #490

Dougery wrote in post #16439661 (external link)
The Rebel is a fantastic camera, don't let other peoples insecurities impact your photography. What will you do once a Nikonian or a Pentaxian tells you that the Canon brand is a joke?

Some of my favorite personal photos have been taken with a G3 (4mp), S95, or my phone, and I could care less what other people think of my choice of camera, the proof is in the pudding (not the whisk).

Excellent point. In fact there's a fellow who's screenname is Canonhater who's apparently made it his current passion to spam just about any Canon related thread on a couple forums and YT channels. He's a Nikon guy, and all he does is discount anything Canon cameras boast featurewise, or whatever. Most of it is just rubbish, but you name it....Nikon trumps it. At least according to him. He'll even resort to namecalling if you challenge him. It's just ridiculous. Being a Nikon user myself for years, I know most of it is bunk. I use Canon exclusively now, not because of the brand, but for some of the reasons mentioned deeper in the thread. I like the feel, the control layout, the LCD for liveview...much more crispness and clarity, at least to me.
it's a personal choice. I simply love the way the camera feels in my hands. As far as how it stacks up quality wise to a compareable pricepoint Nikon....The differences are negligeable.

Maverique
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 11, 2013 01:41 |  #491

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=zwc1Wi-mlCI (external link) See this is a joke, dude. Owning a Rebel, however, is not.

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 11, 2013 18:41 |  #492

The other day a saw a photo shot with the $100 nifty 50 that was better than any photo i've ever shot with my $2200 85L

Did i feel the urge to laugh at his gear? no, i felt completely humbled and told him what an amazing photo it was.

Anyone that laughs at your gear is an idiot, period - you can make amazing photos with a biscuit tin with a hole in it.

If anyone tells you that you can't take an amazing photo with xyz gear, what they're really saying is that THEY couldn't take a great photo with it.

I do think the naming in the US is unhelpful - in europe its just a 600D or a 1000D or whatever. There isn't this distinction between cameras with a series number and those with a name. I guess they're trying to build a sub-brand or make it sound cool, but its clearly not always appreciated. Maybe next time get a UK import - then you can say "no, its not a rebel, it's a 700D" :)

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 11, 2013 18:53 |  #493

I've had my T3i for almost 2 years. I used it to learn how to shoot, upgraded to some semi-decent glass, but feel it's time to upgrade. I'll still keep my T3i in circulation for my EF-S lenses, particularly my 15-85, but I see a 6D in my future, unless I can swing a 5DMKIII somehow. I don't have any confidence in shooting ISO 1600 or above, which is my main reason for wanting to upgrade. Other than that, I've had no complaints about my T3i/600D.

GEAR LIST

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 11, 2013 19:58 |  #494

Ace and Deuce wrote in post #16520122 (external link)
I've had my T3i for almost 2 years. I used it to learn how to shoot, upgraded to some semi-decent glass, but feel it's time to upgrade. I'll still keep my T3i in circulation for my EF-S lenses, particularly my 15-85, but I see a 6D in my future, unless I can swing a 5DMKIII somehow. I don't have any confidence in shooting ISO 1600 or above, which is my main reason for wanting to upgrade. Other than that, I've had no complaints about my T3i/600D.

I am the same way and want a 60D. The t4i is kind of fast and clean though.

70D, 80D, SL1, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 11, 2013 20:17 |  #495

ian_socool wrote in post #16520267 (external link)
I am the same way and want a 60D. The t4i is kind of fast and clean though.

Clean?

sponsored links

83,577 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.