Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?

HippieMagic
38 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 13, 2013 17:26 |  #526

Unfortunately, yes. For the most part it was super dark and I was forced to use a flash. I really don't remember my settings now, I would have to find the pictures. The location I had an issue was inside the museum part while trying to take pictures of the patient art. That was actually lighted enough that I didn't have to use a flash but the camera just didn't feel like taking images. The shutter worked fine outside of that section though. That is what I don't understand.

sponsored links
QuibPhotography
Goldmember
3,471 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 13, 2013 18:08 |  #527

Shot with my Canon Rebel XS and 28-135mm...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 13, 2013 18:38 |  #528

HippieMagic wrote in post #16525185 (external link)
It has been forever since I posted... It seems like a good time to come back so...

I have been using a Rebel XSi and a Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG Macro lens which is incredibly cheap and actually not that bad at all. I am just looking for more out of the camera. As it stands I do feel a bit limited with this particular Rebel but I never felt like the image quality was the reason. In fact, most people don't even notice that I am using a "cheap" camera.

I don't like the XSi's size. It is too small for my hand and it feels awkward to shoot. I also don't like not having peace of mind when shooting outdoors in all weather conditions. The XSi has a cheap feel to it in general that I just don't care for. I mean it is well built for being plastic but it is still plastic...

As for problems... I have had a few problems with the XSi that just didn't make a ton of sense to me. One time it didn't really want to come on. I would flip the switch and it just didn't seem to respond. Another time I was in the middle of the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum and it just refused to take a picture. It had a full charge but it refused to fire. I would press the button multiple times and nothing. A half press would let it focus but a full press was completely ignored. After turning it off and back on as well as numerous other things it just never fixed the issue. After I left the asylum it worked perfectly fine. I mean we can say it was paranormal due to the setting but I am thinking otherwise and I just can't have the camera refusing to take pics from time to time.

I am actually considering grabbing a 5D Mark III and some really good glass to cover all my issues with the XSi. It is an investment, but considering I am trying to go pro, it seems like a good one.

I hate to burst your bubble, but these things can happen to "expensive/pro" cameras, as well as Rebels.
They all contain electronics, and electronics can do freaky things for no (observable) reason.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1342287 <---example

Kel
Gear

slowfox
145 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 13, 2013 18:46 as a reply to  @ 1Tanker's post |  #529

Anyone who thinks that the Rebel is a joke is not swift enough to realize that the joke is on them. In the hands of a serious photographer, it's a serious camera.

Peter
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/plovell42/ (external link)
Canon G1X | Canon T5i | Canon EOS 60D |Canon EF-S 10-18| Canon EF-S 24mm pancake|Canon EF-S 17-55 |Canon EF 40 pancake| Canon EF 50 macro |Canon EF-S 60 Macro | Canon EF 100 macro | Sigma 8-16
Pentax K200D, K20D, and more K-mount glass than anyone has a right to.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 13, 2013 18:53 |  #530

HippieMagic wrote in post #16525185 (external link)
It has been forever since I posted... It seems like a good time to come back so...

I have been using a Rebel XSi and a Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG Macro lens which is incredibly cheap and actually not that bad at all. I am just looking for more out of the camera. As it stands I do feel a bit limited with this particular Rebel but I never felt like the image quality was the reason. In fact, most people don't even notice that I am using a "cheap" camera.

I don't like the XSi's size. It is too small for my hand and it feels awkward to shoot. I also don't like not having peace of mind when shooting outdoors in all weather conditions. The XSi has a cheap feel to it in general that I just don't care for. I mean it is well built for being plastic but it is still plastic...

As for problems... I have had a few problems with the XSi that just didn't make a ton of sense to me. One time it didn't really want to come on. I would flip the switch and it just didn't seem to respond. Another time I was in the middle of the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum and it just refused to take a picture. It had a full charge but it refused to fire. I would press the button multiple times and nothing. A half press would let it focus but a full press was completely ignored. After turning it off and back on as well as numerous other things it just never fixed the issue. After I left the asylum it worked perfectly fine. I mean we can say it was paranormal due to the setting but I am thinking otherwise and I just can't have the camera refusing to take pics from time to time.

I am actually considering grabbing a 5D Mark III and some really good glass to cover all my issues with the XSi. It is an investment, but considering I am trying to go pro, it seems like a good one.

Half of your car is made of plastic. Most of the cameras are made of plastic. They live and work for years. And even a Rolls Royce can break down, not only a Chevy.

HippieMagic
38 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 13, 2013 19:16 |  #531

1Tanker wrote in post #16525464 (external link)
I hate to burst your bubble, but these things can happen to "expensive/pro" cameras, as well as Rebels.
They all contain electronics, and electronics can do freaky things for no (observable) reason.

I wasn't listing it as a reason to upgrade. I am listing it as the only issue I have had with the Rebel.

My reasons to upgrade have more to do with the fact that I want full frame, weather sealing, video, dual card slots, better low light performance, better build quality, better body size for my fingers, and I have always wanted a 5D Mark II or Mark III since I started with digital photography.

I have done photography as a hobby for 12 years starting with 35mm and doing my own darkroom stuff in high school. That is what got me started and gave me a real appreciation for light. I miss doing my own dark room stuff and may return to it later down the road but honestly it is such a hassle compared to just popping a memory card into a reader.

I have always been pretty quiet with my photography due to 99% of it being fine arts related. I even majored in it at an art school for a few years which is why I purchased the XSi in the first place. They wouldn't let me use film haha. Once it started to get out a bit in my area and more people saw my work I started getting contacted a lot to do portraits and even had local photographers hitting me up to do weddings with them which I have avoided like the plague. I also like to do sport photography which isn't really a strong suit with this camera. Sure it works but it could be so much easier.

I guess all this made me realize that I could upgrade, take care of everything I need to get my business rolling, and actually make money with this. For that reason I am not opposed to dropping some money into it considering it will make my job easier in the long run and give me a lot more peace of mind.

I am not saying the XSi is a bad camera. It isn't. I am not saying a good photographer can't take great pictures with a Rebel at all. If you are imaginative enough you can do anything. The right tool for the job makes the job a LOT easier, though.

I am just in a position that I can invest enough money into this to actually get my business going so why not go all out? Well not ALL out... I don't want a 1Dx yet.

Lbsimon wrote in post #16525497 (external link)
Half of your car is made of plastic. Most of the cameras are made of plastic. They live and work for years. And even a Rolls Royce can break down, not only a Chevy.

My Glock is half plastic, too. I trust it with my life but I don't want to hold it constantly for hours on end. If the XSi had better weather sealing and had a bit more bulk to it I wouldn't mind it as much in that regard. Still need to upgrade, though.

Johnny ­ V
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 13, 2013 19:19 |  #532

Rebel is no joke... I made thousands of bucks with my old XTi shooting weddings and jewelry catalogs. My T2i has better image quality than my 50D... don't tell anyone.

Fear the Gear! Canon 5D3/6D/50D/T2i/EOS-M; 17-40L f4; 70-200 f4; 50 f1.4; 18-55 f3.5 IS; Sigma 85 f1.4; Tamron 85 f1.8; Canon 35 f2-IS; 580EX; Comet Strobes; Smugmug 20% Discount  (external link)

Jim ­ Blair
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2013 19:57 |  #533

I agree the Rebel is no Joke. I often use a a Rebel T2i. It produces great images, with a battery grip it shoots all day even on the longest days, and it is as reliable as a Toyota. I have several other cameras, some costing quite a bit more, but the Canon Rebel is the most underpriced and the biggest overperformer of any of the cameras I own.

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 14, 2013 00:07 |  #534

No matter what camera I get, I will always have a soft spot for the Rebels. My first SLR was the Canon Rebel 2000, and my first DSLR was (and I still have it) the Canon Rebel XTi (400D). It's an awesome little camera.

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 14, 2013 00:19 |  #535

EOS-Mike wrote in post #16520462 (external link)
I drive a Honda Civic, and I've often wondered what would happen if, just for fun, I bought a couple BMW emblems and put them on the car, along with some numbers.

Currently nobody compliments my car (not that I care), but I wonder if they would. Might be a good social experiment.

You could probably do the same with a camera. Maybe when my new 6D comes in I'll find an old Rebel sticker to put on it, kind of the opposite of my above example. Or maybe I'll peel off a Fisher Price sticker and put it on the camera.

Bottom line: Shoot with what you enjoy.

Reminds me of back in my film days. I had a Nikon strap on an Elan 7e and a Canon strap on my Nikon N90s. My EOS 3 usually just had a plain strap and the palm strap.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 14, 2013 06:27 |  #536

I just sold my faithful T3 of 2 years for a 60D. Just to help anyone out who is on the fence about upgrading because of reviews, unless your shooting something fast or need rapid shots and faster AF, do not sell the T3. Look at my flickr. This is also a fact, even though the T3 is only 12.2 mp, it has very large pixels. Above 1600 this camera is up there with 5D. It is very clean at high ISO. I would love to revisit it, but will get a T4i or SL1 (thats a sneaky camera that has lightning quick AF) as a second body. I absolutely loved my Rebel T3. Had money not been a factor I would have given it to my daughter

70D, 80D, SL1, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

QuibPhotography
Goldmember
3,471 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 14, 2013 10:50 |  #537

I posted this a year ago on my website...

http://quibphotography​.com/2012/12/30/my-camera-gear/ (external link)

mattertea
227 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 14, 2013 11:11 |  #538

I would say its more about LIGHTING than anything else. Using great lighting and good fundamentals in composition etc.. you can get amazing images, regardless of what features your camera has. Most of the features you get with a pro body are useful only if you are shooting weddings or other location events where you need to not be limited by your gear because missing those shots means getting sued or losing your clients.

I think its funny that this thread is 1 month old and the OP has only replied to it once.

Flickr (external link)
Sculpting Blog (external link)

The ­ Gnarwhale
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 14, 2013 11:30 as a reply to  @ mattertea's post |  #539

Ishot this trip for Powder Magazine with a Rebel (external link). In JPEG, because I didnt have enought cards to shoot RAW for a two week trip. http://www.perpetualwe​ekend.com/2013/03/reve​lations-range/ (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

perpetualweekend.com

mattertea
227 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 14, 2013 12:16 |  #540

It would be cool to see some old Rebel SLR FILM Photos in this thread. The Rebel G was my first slr film camera something 16 years ago (I still have it) in my closet.

I got my first DSLR last year - a Rebel t3i. I upgraded to the 6d last week because I am doing more commercial work, and event photography that needs better low light performance. I don't think that when I had the Rebel, I was some sort of joke photographer (not any more than I am now at least! haha!) Again, ITs all about the light and what you do with it, as the photographer.

Can you tell which one is from the 6d and which one is from the 600d? Click on an image to find out!

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3786/11346835213_13a7ef0edf_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mattertea/11346​835213/  (external link)
Freedom_Sunrise (external link) by mattertea (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3776/9858994364_d35e8f6b08_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mattertea/98589​94364/  (external link)
NYC_Sunset_01 (external link) by mattertea (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)
Sculpting Blog (external link)

sponsored links

83,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.