Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 14, 2013 12:56 |  #541

Taken with Rebel 2000 SLR Film camera -

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7446/9260126751_a465b8fd74_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/davidkhaykin/9​260126751/  (external link)
Cracked Earth (external link) by ddk632 (external link), on Flickr

Taken with Rebel XTi (400D)
(And printed 24x36 hanging in a retail store)
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8053/8137556548_dfa3277aef_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/davidkhaykin/8​137556548/  (external link)
Pier 66 View of Fort Lauderdale 2 (external link) by ddk632 (external link), on Flickr

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 14, 2013 13:18 |  #542

Agree, the Rebels are no joke at all.

However, even though I always had a Rebel, first the XSi and then T2i, after using the 60D and now the 70D I avoid them. The XSi is gone, the T2i is now my wife's. The main thing is ergonomics. The 70D ergonomics is superior to the Rebels. I do not like it that I have to press two buttons to do the adjustments, I miss the second control wheel. Considering that it the T2i and the 60D shared the same sensor, there was no difference in IQ, but the handling of both cameras made me move to the 60/70D.

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 14, 2013 13:35 as a reply to  @ Lbsimon's post |  #543

Well the "joke" was on me, because when I first got the Rebel, it was way more cemera than I knew how to use. As I have learned and advanced in my use, the Rebel has more than kept pace with my abilities. Now, as I have said before, I will continue to use the Rebel series for what I want to do as it really makes the best sense for me.

Quite frankly, IMHO, if you are going to take a photograph and then "process" it, alter it, re-shade, re-tone, smooth over it, layer it, clone in and out portions of it, the you might just as well have taken the shot with a P&S. If it takes THAT much "WORK" to get it to look right then it wasn't a very good photograph to start with, and if it WAS a good photograph, then why are you screwing with it? LOL!!

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

mattertea
227 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 14, 2013 14:41 |  #544

Hillbille wrote in post #16527024 (external link)
Quite frankly, IMHO, if you are going to take a photograph and then "process" it, alter it, re-shade, re-tone, smooth over it, layer it, clone in and out portions of it, the you might just as well have taken the shot with a P&S. If it takes THAT much "WORK" to get it to look right then it wasn't a very good photograph to start with, and if it WAS a good photograph, then why are you screwing with it? LOL!!

Hillbille

The problem with P&S and photo editing is that the image quality suffers when you try to push a lower quality starting image. Though, I think the first priority must be the quality of the content of the image, and not the quality of the pixels in the image, Good photos need less editing to become great.

Flickr (external link)
Sculpting Blog (external link)

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 14, 2013 17:27 |  #545

mattertea wrote in post #16527153 (external link)
The problem with P&S and photo editing is that the image quality suffers when you try to push a lower quality starting image. Though, I think the first priority must be the quality of the content of the image, and not the quality of the pixels in the image, Good photos need less editing to become great.

I agree. I was just making a point - in fact the same point - that if the image is a "good" image then you wouldn't NEED to work it over and it wouldn't matter if it was taken with a P & S (some are up well over 10mp now), a Rebel, or a 6D.

I find it funny that I NEVER even looked at exif for most photos I saw on the internet BEFORE I started lurking around on POTN and then only because of what I had read. Now I rarely do it because it simple doesn't interest me. Either I like the image or I don't, doesn't matter what camera body was used, especially here on POTN because a majority of those images have been "massaged" in PS so as to render the original settings moot - unless I want to learn to "massage" the ones I'll take using those settings. LOL!!

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 14, 2013 17:31 |  #546

If you shoot RAW, (IMO) you have to do some kind of editing. I quick-view JPGs to see which I want to keep, but I don't think I've ever posted a RAW file without some kind of 'enhancing'.

GEAR LIST

mattertea
227 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 14, 2013 19:31 |  #547

Right, Raw files should all go through a process in lightroom or photoshop or some raw editing software if, at the very least, for white balance and lens correction. I abuse the exposure adjustment sometimes when I miss the exposure SOOC.

Back to the topic at hand, I just sold my rebel t3i! I got $700 for the whole kit! In its place I bought a no-joke 6D woo!

seriously, though, a joke would be someone who doesnt even know what full frame means getting a 5d mk3...

Flickr (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 14, 2013 20:43 |  #548

mattertea wrote in post #16527750 (external link)
Right, Raw files should all go through a process in lightroom or photoshop or some raw editing software if, at the very least, for white balance and lens correction. I abuse the exposure adjustment sometimes when I miss the exposure SOOC.

Back to the topic at hand, I just sold my rebel t3i! I got $700 for the whole kit! In its place I bought a no-joke 6D woo!

seriously, though, a joke would be someone who doesnt even know what full frame means getting a 5d mk3...

Is that really any different, than someone who's only shot a P&S or (especially) a phone, getting a DSLR? I don't really think so.

Kel
Gear

mattertea
227 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 14, 2013 21:25 as a reply to  @ 1Tanker's post |  #549

Let me clarify... upgrade knowledge first, then camera second. Learn the fundamentals first, the basics. People shouldnt be spending that kind of money on camera gear that they don't even know how to use.

Case in point: Link--> How do you know when to upgrade your camera?

Currently, I feel like I would like to upgrade to the 5d series because my camera is not FF (if someone could explain the difference of full frame vs cropped frame that would be great)

Some Folks think that if you get a better camera all of a sudden you will be a pro... not true.

Flickr (external link)

N2bnfunn
758 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 14, 2013 21:35 |  #550

Only if you are trying to do a Wedding with it.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 14, 2013 21:42 |  #551

mattertea wrote in post #16527956 (external link)
Let me clarify... upgrade knowledge first, then camera second. Learn the fundamentals first, the basics. People shouldnt be spending that kind of money on camera gear that they don't even know how to use.

Some Folks think that if you get a better camera all of a sudden you will be a pro... not true.

What if they're rich, and money's no object? Should they buy the cheap camera.. just because? I bought my first DSLR, and didn't know squat about photography... i learned.
It's not good to make blanket statements.

Kel
Gear

brianh4204
125 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 14, 2013 21:54 |  #552

Lbsimon wrote in post #16526977 (external link)
Agree, the Rebels are no joke at all.

However, even though I always had a Rebel, first the XSi and then T2i, after using the 60D and now the 70D I avoid them. The XSi is gone, the T2i is now my wife's. The main thing is ergonomics. The 70D ergonomics is superior to the Rebels. I do not like it that I have to press two buttons to do the adjustments, I miss the second control wheel. Considering that it the T2i and the 60D shared the same sensor, there was no difference in IQ, but the handling of both cameras made me move to the 60/70D.

This is a great point, the rebel line up still produces great images and if that is what you are using and used to the ergonomics make perfect sense. I have been using the 7D mostly for the last couple years. Use the T2I primarily with ML. Can do some stupid cool stuff with the combo. Tried using the T2I in manual earlier this week and struggled with how to adjust ISO and aperture. Just a matter of not using the body for a while and not being able to recall which combo of buttons were needed to do the changes.

The Images from the rebel are sharper than the 7D all day long. Damn the AA filter in the 7D..

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 14, 2013 22:06 |  #553

mattertea wrote in post #16527956 (external link)

Your argument holds merit but doesn't make sense.

If I have the money I can buy anything I want. If I can afford a Mercedes AMG, there is no rule saying I have to take racing lessons before I can drive it. We all know it won't make you a better driver, just driving a more capable car.

As driving skills improve you will learn to utilize what the car can offer and start enjoying the capabilities of a better piece of technology. That is if you don't kill yourself learning.

brianh4204
125 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 14, 2013 22:19 |  #554

RandyMN wrote in post #16528037 (external link)
Your argument holds merit but doesn't make sense.

If I have the money I can buy anything I want. If I can afford a Mercedes AMG, there is no rule saying I have to take racing lessons before I can drive it. We all know it won't make you a better driver, just driving a more capable car.

As driving skills improve you will learn to utilize what the car can offer and start enjoying the capabilities of a better piece of technology. That is if you don't kill yourself learning.

Yea, but never saw anyone kill themselves owning more camera than the are capable of using...

At the end of the day if you can afford the best there is, than by all means buy it. Otherwise take your rebel and make great images..

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 14, 2013 22:24 |  #555

brianh4204 wrote in post #16528065 (external link)
Yea, but never saw anyone kill themselves owning more camera than the are capable of using...

At the end of the day if you can afford the best there is, than by all means buy it. Otherwise take your rebel and make great images..

Sorry,that was sarcasm :rolleyes:
The point is that you can get yourself in trouble... A driver may crash the car while the photographer may take on more than they are capable of handling by being overconfident with their equipment.

sponsored links

83,762 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.