Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Jan 2006 (Tuesday) 18:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How are EF lenses calibrated?

JK
394 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jan 31, 2006 18:18 |  #1

I was just wondering: when you send a "bad copy" of a lens to Canon to have it calibrated/adjusted, what's the actual process that Canon performs to do this?

Do they physically open the lens (tinker with screws to adjust) or is the adjustment performed electronically via the lens mount contacts? If so, would it be possible for a few keen amateur electronics tinkering geniuses to build a home-brew lens calibration unit?

I think it'd be awesome to have the ability to test and adjust your lenses at home! :D

"You don't take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams
My Gear

sponsored links
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 31, 2006 18:21 |  #2

I think they just keep them in the warehouse for a week, charge you and send it back.

You can do the same thing at home. Just put it in a closet for 2 weeks and then imagine it came from canon when you find it.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

JK
THREAD ­ STARTER
394 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jan 31, 2006 18:27 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #3

DocFrankenstein wrote:
I think they just keep them in the warehouse for a week, charge you and send it back.

You can do the same thing at home. Just put it in a closet for 2 weeks and then imagine it came from canon when you find it.

Lol! Had a bad experience, huh?
Well, they actually fixed the back-focus problem my 70-200 had (though it was the second time around I'd sent it to them!) so they must do something!

Are there any Canon reps/techs on these boards that could shed some light on this subject?

"You don't take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams
My Gear

Rigrider
588 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 31, 2006 18:44 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #4

DocFrankenstein wrote:

GREATEST POST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never even thought about sending a lense back, but MAN that was funny!!!!

L8r,

Canon 30D
17 - 40 F4 L, 70 - 200 F2.8 L IS, 50mm f1.8 II
Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4
AVB Photography & Design (external link)

tessina
115 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 31, 2006 20:16 |  #5

actually,having worked in an RMA inventory department for a major computer manufacturer before....it isn't that funny when you realize sometimes that is indeed precisely what they do when you send in your 'problematic' products....:(:(

Tess ;)
Canon 7D | Canon 30D | 10-22mm | 17-55mm | 55-250mm

ron ­ chappel
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
3,554 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Jan 31, 2006 21:27 |  #6

Most are calibrated by hooking them up to special software.
There is a member of this forum that services camera gear-he says that some like the EF50/1.8 are calibrated by joining or disconnecting certain solder connections on the circuit board

ddelallata
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 31, 2006 23:48 |  #7

I got a copy of a 24-70L that front-focused at the wide end, but I just returned it to the retailer for an exchange. I didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it in to Canon.

Dr. David de la Llata
Canon EF 1.4X II
Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM
Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 MACRO USM
Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8 L USM
Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 L USM
Olympus C-2020 (for infrared work)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 02, 2006 14:38 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #8

DocFrankenstein wrote:

Another satisfied customer of Canon Canada!

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Ross ­ McT.
572 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 02, 2006 17:50 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #9

Jon wrote:
Another satisfied customer of Canon Canada!

Whats so bad about Canon Canada? (I havent delt with them)

The fact that they have a service center in Calgary (western Canada) was a selling factor over the Nikons (toronto area)

(on a side note, my brother sent a nikon 8800 to the nikon guys out east for a quote. 3.5 weeks passed before an answer was heard from them. They mail the quote to you... snail mail... in this day and age...:evil: I'm glad im not without my camera)

Ross McT.
Digital: 50D, Rebel XT+Grip, EF-S 10-22, 17-85, 18-55, EF 70-300IS,50mm f1.8,
Just trying to master what I have.

TheSteveMadden
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 02, 2006 20:56 |  #10

Canon's European CPS site FAQ has a good overview of the calibration steps for bodies and lenses. From what I gather, the calibration is all done in software once any mechanical reasons are ruled out.

http://www.cps.canon-europe.com/kb/detail.j​sp?faqId=1131 (external link)

Steve
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 30D, XT, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, other EF lenses, 430EX, several 580EX II's, Pocket Wizard Plus II's, lighting supports and modifiers, etc etc etc
Website (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 03, 2006 09:20 as a reply to  @ Ross McT.'s post |  #11

Ross McTavish wrote:
Whats so bad about Canon Canada? (I havent delt with them)

The fact that they have a service center in Calgary (western Canada) was a selling factor over the Nikons (toronto area)

(on a side note, my brother sent a nikon 8800 to the nikon guys out east for a quote. 3.5 weeks passed before an answer was heard from them. They mail the quote to you... snail mail... in this day and age...:evil: I'm glad im not without my camera)

Canadian (and UK) users have repeatedly posted about long delays in getting their gear back, gear returned unrepaired, or gear lost. In contrast, the usual US repair seems to be around a week, if parts are available.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ronmayhew
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 03, 2006 15:15 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #12

DocFrankenstein wrote:

RFLMAO....
That was a riot!

I just got the email from Canon in New Jersey! that they shipped my 24-70 back yesterday.
I should have it on Monday.
I've got some before test shots. I'll share them and the after test shots when I get it back.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

flickr (external link)
Canon: 70D, 16-35L, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.0, 75-300mm IS, 35-350L :cool:, 135mm f/2.0L, Pro9000 .
Sigma: 70-200mm f/2.8; Alien Bees: B1600
Tamron: 17-50mm, 28-75mm, 90mm fMacro,

tough_dog
81 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 03, 2006 17:02 |  #13

Received my new front-focusing 24-105 back from Irvine yesterday shipped 2-day FedEx. Total turnaround was 2 weeks. Lens now autofocuses with center of DOF almost perfectly positioned (very slightly backfocused). Photos are much improved and are now actually sharper than my 17-85 when both are wide open (with 24-105 a stop faster at the long end). The 20D and kit 17-85 arrived last August, also with a front-focus error. They went to Irvine and also came back in 2 weeks with much improved focus and sharpness. So, it appears that the Irvine center does properly calibrate lenses in a timely manner. It seems that Canon could possibly save some money and customer frustration is they would just carefully check each lens and calibrate if needed before selling them.

Canon Stuff: 20D | 580EX | 10-22mm | 17-55mm f2.8 IS | 100mm f2.8 Macro | 70-200mm f4L IS| 100-400mm L IS | 1.4X II TC.
Solo Sigma: 18-200mm OS
Velbon Pods: Carmagne 640 and NeoPod

::John::
Cream of the Crop
8,551 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 03, 2006 17:10 |  #14

Great link, Steve. It is interesting to read that they use a standard tool lens to calibrate bodies - and that the tool lens is a 50mm f/1.8

yay for the nifty fifty!

mrclark321
Noinker
7,536 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 03, 2006 17:17 |  #15

I sent my 70-200f/2.8 to Canon Canada and they did an excellent job( Toronto )
I would not think twice about sending my gear there again!!

Dan

Sony A7R3 & A7R4
Sony 16-35 GM
Sony 55mm 1.8
Batis 85mm
Sony 200-600

sponsored links

4,042 views & 0 likes for this thread
How are EF lenses calibrated?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.