Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 16:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Terrible addiction

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 11, 2013 19:17 |  #16

kfreels wrote in post #16443664 (external link)
I can tell you that after the firmware update with a UDMA 7 card, I can now shoot about 40 shots continuously at 8fps before it hangs on the buffer. And then it only takes about 7 seconds to clear it completely. Since I usually shoot in 8-12 shot bursts with a pause in between shots, I almost never run into the buffer now. So definitely go for the UDMA 7 card and get the firmware update if it isn't already on it.

Nice. Finally got the battery charged up, tried to print off the manual but apparently it's too big for my printer or something.. being dumb apparently..

The camera has the old firmware on it :( 1.2 i think or something. I did get someone interested in my old camera woot! Hopefully they take it and I can finally get my cards.

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

sponsored links
Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 11, 2013 19:34 |  #17

Welcome to the 7D club -- the best action photography club! this side of the 1DMkIV guys...

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 12, 2013 09:57 as a reply to  @ Corbeau's post |  #18

I want to tell you a couple things about the 7D before you even ask about them because I'm sure they will come up.
The first is that the 7D has a slightly more aggressive AA filter which means your images will be a little less sharp than you T5i. You will want to incorporate some basic sharpening in post to your workflow.

Next, the AF sensor is a little different and causes problems for some people. Basically, the area of AF sensitivity extends well outside the actual square in the viewfinder and if something is closer withing the radius of the AF sensor it may focus on that instead of the intended place. This is by design and not a flaw. In action shooting with things moving, it pays to have the additional sensitivity because with long lenses it can be tough to land right where you want it. But when shooting things that are closer with really wide apertures, it can throw you off if you aren't watching for it. Once you know about it, it's really easy to deal with and after a short time you don't even think about it. But for those who aren't aware of it, it can cause a lot of confusion. Here's a bit of detail on it.

http://blogs.stonestep​s.ca/showpost.aspx?pid​=54 (external link)

The updated firmware can be had here. http://www.usa.canon.c​om …eos_7d#DriversA​ndSoftware (external link)

When shooting in low light with a slow lens, your fps can slow down. You may only get 3-4 fps - even in full manual mode. This is a little pet peeve of mine. The reason is because of the metering. There's a lot of debate as to WHY the metering gets in the way even in full manual, but none of that changes the fact that it happens and it's annoying.

Finally, and this may be the case on other bodies as well, but when you are using the pop-up to control off-camera E-TTL, the pre-flash which controls them can still have a minor effect on exposure. If you are doing something where it is really important that your off camera flash is the only source of illumination and you are close to the subject, you may want an ST-E2 or you may just want to use an E-TTL cable.

Happy shooting!

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 12, 2013 13:30 |  #19

kfreels wrote in post #16445255 (external link)
*snip*

Happy shooting!

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it all!

I picked up more gear today. :cry: I think I need to call the CDC and see if there is a pandemic going around or something as I just shelled out close to 500$ at my local store picking up a few things (cards, batteries, spare charger, monopod). Yes I know I can get them online cheaper but I'd like to support my local store :)

Might have a manual on order from a member here on the forums so that will be helpful. Can't wait to start using this new camera and find something comfortable.

Only thing left for me to get is a strap to carry it with. I'm not a fan of the standard canon one's. Looking at the Black Rapid Sport model.

I can see that I'm going to have alot of practice to get in with this new camera as it is miles above the complexity of my T5i.

Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 12, 2013 13:40 |  #20

abhphotography wrote in post #16445812 (external link)
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it all!

I picked up more gear today. :cry: I think I need to call the CDC and see if there is a pandemic going around or something as I just shelled out close to 500$ at my local store picking up a few things (cards, batteries, spare charger, monopod). Yes I know I can get them online cheaper but I'd like to support my local store :)

Might have a manual on order from a member here on the forums so that will be helpful. Can't wait to start using this new camera and find something comfortable.

Only thing left for me to get is a strap to carry it with. I'm not a fan of the standard canon one's. Looking at the Black Rapid Sport model.

I can see that I'm going to have alot of practice to get in with this new camera as it is miles above the complexity of my T5i.

Here's the strap that I use. $12 on amazon with free shipping on Amazon Prime. It's nice and strong and well-made. I had a guy try to grab my camera at Mardis Gras and it didn't give a bit. Also, the screw on the bottom has a hole for a tripod mount so you don't have to remove the strap.
http://www.amazon.com …ywords=camera+s​ling+strap (external link)

Also, as far as manuals go, get the download and put it on your phone. Much easier to do a search for what you're looking for than to pack a book. If you want a book with detail on how the 7D works, get David Busch's book. http://www.amazon.com …284900&sr=1-1&keywords=7d (external link)

I doubt it has been updated since the firmware upgrade but it will walk you through the detail of how all the functions work. Very nice to have.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 12, 2013 17:29 |  #21

I actually got Bushch's book a few weeks before I bought my 7D... Highly recommended. The "field guide" cheat sheets is not as worth it...

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

Fuce
257 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 13, 2013 09:52 |  #22

abhphotography wrote in post #16440566 (external link)
Now where did I place that 70-200 f2.8L.... Hhmm Christmas is coming! Hint hint lol!

It never ends. I have the 7d and a decent Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. It does a very respectable job for sports, but I still look at the L version with envy. Hope to acquire that and a nice longer prime for indoor sports when I get a few kids out of college. :rolleyes:

“with the breakdown of the medieval system, the gods of chaos, lunacy, and bad taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius J. Reilly

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 14, 2013 01:17 |  #23

Just remember that it's easy to throw money towards technical problems. Faster lenses. Faster AF...

In the end it doesn't help with composition and seeing the light. It's all fun and depends on what you want, but there's ways to keep it interesting besides throwing money at it.

http://www.natashaleig​hblog.com …ocus-fashion-photography/ (external link)

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 20, 2013 12:28 |  #24

Welp, spent another 780$ today, and staring down spending another 1500$+ in the next day or so. I'm just torn between getting the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 or the Canon 70-200mm f2.8. I had a promo code from canon for like 15$ off, but now I cant find it in my email and the one canon told me to use doesn't work :(

I've looked at both lens' and I can't tell any difference between the two besides price. The Tamron seems built like a tank compared to the canon one though, and thats important to me. I want something that is going to survive the use/abuse/ decades of use. Tamron also comes with a 5 or 6 year warranty unlike canon's :-/

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 20, 2013 12:47 |  #25

Don't dismiss the 70-200mm f4L either. Big weight savings, smaller target, and f/4 is more than enough for paintball.

Not as great if you are thinking you'll use the lens for indoors or late evening work however.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 20, 2013 12:49 |  #26

Luckless wrote in post #16466890 (external link)
Don't dismiss the 70-200mm f4L either. Big weight savings, smaller target, and f/4 is more than enough for paintball.

Not as great if you are thinking you'll use the lens for indoors or late evening work however.

Thats the problem, is that through the winter, I will be doing indoor work (i.e: inside of a giant warehouse with very poor lighting. It will be nice having the 2.8 through the summer outside as well, but the indoor work is mainly why I'm going up

Kyle ­ Blunt
245 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 20, 2013 13:03 |  #27

I can't speak for the 70-200 personally but I know for a fact that the Canon is pretty durable. My friend dropped his 70-200mm and it works as good as it did on purchase. (Don't recommend you try to drop them though!)

I just spent a fair bit on my first L lens, it all boils down to how you enjoy photography. For me, I badly needed an upgrade from my old 1980 telephotos.

Personally I think that if you are worried that your spending too much, stop and take a good step back and evaluate. Its all too easy to just buy because you can.

EOS 1D Mark IIN | EOS 50D w/BG-E2N | EOS 40D w/BG-E2 | EF 300mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
My Website (external link)Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 20, 2013 13:06 |  #28

Kyle Blunt wrote in post #16466949 (external link)
I can't speak for the 70-200 personally but I know for a fact that the Canon is pretty durable. My friend dropped his 70-200mm and it works as good as it did on purchase.
I just spent a fair bit on my first L lens, it all boils down to how you enjoy photography. For me, I badly needed an upgrade from my old 1980 telephotos.

Personally I think that if you are worried that your spending too much, stop and take a good step back and evaluate. Its all too easy to just buy because you can.

It's not that I'm spending too much, its the fact that I want what is going to be the best fit for my needs, has a build quality that is going to survive the use/abuse of a paintball field, and still provide great looking photos.

Kyle ­ Blunt
245 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 20, 2013 13:13 |  #29

abhphotography wrote in post #16466962 (external link)
It's not that I'm spending too much, its the fact that I want what is going to be the best fit for my needs, has a build quality that is going to survive the use/abuse of a paintball field, and still provide great looking photos.

The Canon should be the top choice then, its a field proven beast of a lens. Are you considering the f2.8 IS (Mark I or II) or non-IS? Both have differences I found out when searching myself.

EOS 1D Mark IIN | EOS 50D w/BG-E2N | EOS 40D w/BG-E2 | EF 300mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
My Website (external link)Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 20, 2013 13:13 |  #30

Kyle Blunt wrote in post #16466973 (external link)
The Canon should be the top choice then, its a field proven beast of a lens. Are you considering the f2.8 IS (Mark I or II) or non-IS? Both have differences I found out when searching myself.

Will likely get the mark2 and IS. Would be handy to have the IS.

sponsored links

4,467 views & 0 likes for this thread
Terrible addiction
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.