Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 11 Nov 2013 (Monday) 18:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An experiment... gone right.

AlanMura
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 11, 2013 18:45 |  #1

Well, this image has blown away my FB fans lol. I tried something a little different. Figured I would share with you all as well. Enjoy :)

facebook.com/alan.mura​.photography

IMAGE: https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1450247_694447667232201_2057250838_n.jpg

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

sponsored links
RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 11, 2013 20:21 |  #2

bw! (literally)

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

xarik
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 11, 2013 23:48 |  #3

A magician doesn't give away there tricks....will a photographer? How did you do this! :P I love it! Her skin is a bit weird but idk if that's the image or real life (Sorry for being brutally honest on that)

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

outtamymind
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 11, 2013 23:59 |  #4

wonderful work.

www.outtamymindphoto.c​a (external link)
Outtamymind Photography Facebook (external link)
Outtamymind Photography on 500px (external link)

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 12, 2013 14:23 |  #5

@RMH and @Outtamymind: Thanks for the comments!

@Xarik: Regarding her skin. It was kind of patchy, but what causes the image to look like this is the b/w adjustment layer i used. It simply exacerbated the patchiness. As far as how this is done...

its a combination of two different images taken about .2 seconds apart. The first thing I did was duplicate her head off the original image and place it on its own layer. I then set that layer to quick mask, and painted her face and forhead off the layer leaving only the hair. Once this was done I used the tranform tool (cmd + t) to increase the size of her hair. I then used the warp tool to shape her shape her hair so it resembled the movement and direction of the original image, only much larger. Then using the paint brush on the layer mask its self, I painted out areas of the strands to blend in her new hair to her original hair. This entire step was repeated with a second image where her hair was moving in a different place. I transposed the second image (hair only) on the main image and blended the hair using layer masks. The reason I did this is so I can get the hair looking voluminous without the pattern repeating itself. I then used a clone brush to further blend all the hair together.

It wasnt meant to look perfectly real, just impactful. anyway, i hope this gives you an idea of what I did.

Thanks for the comments.

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

xarik
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 12, 2013 17:57 |  #6

Very impacting!!

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

russ71satellite
Goldmember
2,295 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 12, 2013 20:00 |  #7

I have no business critiquing this high level work, but wouldn't some skin smoothing have improved the skin issue?

Canon EOS 5D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Yongnuo YN560II, Dynaphos strobe, 16 inch beauty dish, Vagabond mini.
https://www.facebook.c​om/Rj2photoconcepts1?r​ef=h (external link)
https://www.flickr.com …s/rj2_photoconc​epts/page1 (external link)flickr

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 13, 2013 04:15 |  #8

It could have but thats only if you find the skin an issue. I actually dont. but ya, could totally have smoothed it out.

GlimmerMan
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 13, 2013 06:48 |  #9

Genius.

X100T XT3
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,461 views & 0 likes for this thread
An experiment... gone right.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.