Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Nov 2013 (Monday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Strattos II and Odins

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 14, 2013 07:36 |  #16

npompei wrote in post #16450736 (external link)
Very true wizard - but for me I don't have to worry about weather sealing and that price difference is immense!

Now here is the next question I was thinking about - would I need 3 of the Mitros+'s? What if I just get one of the Mitros+'s, have that be my main unit and then get 2 of the 'basic' Mitros units to be fired from the main unit. Will that work? Can that work? I am thinking it would and I really wouldn't see a reason why it couldn't since the '+' has the Odin unit built in so it can trigger. Right?

If that is the case, the 'basic' Mitros is only $299, that would save me $100 each over the '+', thus saving me $200 total. Think that is a good idea? I don't see that being a problem, and kind of makes sense to have 2 of the basic Mitros and not 3 of the '+'.

That won't work as Mitros does not have an Odin receiver embedded. You will have to pair it with an Odin which would erase any cost savings.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
npompei
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2013 08:38 |  #17

amirg wrote in post #16450842 (external link)
That won't work as Mitros does not have an Odin receiver embedded. You will have to pair it with an Odin which would erase any cost savings.

Gotcha - I just found that out as well! Oh well, for an extra $100 per unit, that's an easy upgrade! And well worth it in my opinion. Thanks!

www.nickpompei.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5d3-gripped / Canon 5d / Canon EOS M / Phottix Mitros + (3) / Tamron 17-35 (2.8-4.0) / Tamron 28-75 (2.8) / Canon 35L / Canon 50 (1.4) / Sigma 85 (1.4) / Canon 70-200(2.8)IS

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 14, 2013 09:29 |  #18

npompei wrote in post #16450940 (external link)
Gotcha - I just found that out as well! Oh well, for an extra $100 per unit, that's an easy upgrade! And well worth it in my opinion. Thanks!

I am thinking I will go the 600ex-rt route. Since a price difference of about $50 is not that big a jump. Just got my last 600ex-rt for $450 when there was a double dip. So will wait and see if there is another. No rush in picking up the third one.
Thanks for all the info everyone!!

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 14, 2013 10:25 |  #19

wizard13 wrote in post #16451042 (external link)
I am thinking I will go the 600ex-rt route. Since a price difference of about $50 is not that big a jump. Just got my last 600ex-rt for $450 when there was a double dip. So will wait and see if there is another. No rush in picking up the third one.
Thanks for all the info everyone!!

That's what I would do. Currently Mitors+ is exactly the same price as 600EX-RT here and Canon is the better long-term investment. Mitors+ is great but priced too closely to the Canon's flagship IMO.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

ScottyP
38 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 14, 2013 19:21 as a reply to  @ amirg's post |  #20

I just got 3 Mitros+ units delivered yesterday. I got them in a very brief sale from Adorama for $319 each.

I haven't had time to do much with them yet, but they are very solid and well built.

They will do 2 things the 600's can't. They will do 2nd curtain flash and they remotely adjust the flash zoom.

Canon 6D, Canon T3i, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk.2, Sigma 35mm "Art"; EF 24-105 f/4 L IS, EF-S 17-55f/2.8 IS, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 50mm 1.8II, Canon 1.4x Mk. III TC, 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 14, 2013 19:37 |  #21

ScottyP wrote in post #16452437 (external link)
I just got 3 Mitros+ units delivered yesterday. I got them in a very brief sale from Adorama for $319 each.

I haven't had time to do much with them yet, but they are very solid and well built.

They will do 2 things the 600's can't. They will do 2nd curtain flash and they remotely adjust the flash zoom.

Thanks for pointing those two out!

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

elv
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 14, 2013 20:52 as a reply to  @ wizard13's post |  #22

I put a bit of a comparison of features up here if that's any help -

http://flashhavoc.com …s-plus-vs-canon-600ex-rt/ (external link)

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

npompei
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 18, 2013 10:31 |  #23

ScottyP wrote in post #16452437 (external link)

Damn when did they go on sale for $319!??! Wow I am pissed I missed that! $80 off is HUGE! We need to post up when these are on sale!

Flickr (external link)
Canon 5d3-gripped / Canon 5d / Canon EOS M / Phottix Mitros + (3) / Tamron 17-35 (2.8-4.0) / Tamron 28-75 (2.8) / Canon 35L / Canon 50 (1.4) / Sigma 85 (1.4) / Canon 70-200(2.8)IS

npompei
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 18, 2013 07:06 |  #24

Trying to revive this thread. Anybody get the new Mitros + units yet? Would really love to hear more reviews

Flickr (external link)

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 18, 2013 07:22 |  #25

I am using Strato II for 2 years now and it is a good system, it is not bullet proof but I can say it is a solid trigger!. For my reception shots I use two remote YN-565 ex with Strato II, Strato transmitter on hot shoe and Canon 580 EXII on top. Photix website does not recommending YN flashes due to compatibility issues but with the sync cable it works great!

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

sponsored links

4,281 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Strattos II and Odins
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.