Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PIC only with raw?

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 12, 2013 21:21 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Hi,
I am new here, but not new to photography. I have a 5D and just bought an EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM. I had the old version but found it soft at f/2.8. The new lens is really good in the center at f/2.8. I am happy with that. One thing I don't like about it the fact that it vignettes about 3 stops deep into the corners when wide open. I got this lens because I can't afford the f/1.4II. Anyway, I take pictures for fun, so I usually shoot in JPG. Which brings me to my question. Why don't DPP or LR4 allow Peripheral Illumination Correction with JPG files? DPP works miracles with these files, if I shoot raw, which I prefer not to do. Is there any way around that, or should I just get used to shooting my 24 2.8 raw so I can use PIC? Please don't suggest stopping down. That is not why I bought this lens. Is there any way to do PIC on a JPG file?
Thanks.

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 12, 2013 21:43 |  #2

Hmm, I just opened a jpeg in Lightroom 4 and the Lens Vignetting worked. Also the Post Crop Vignetting tool (in the Effects panel) worked. In fact the "effect" of the post crop tool was significantly stronger than the "normal" tool. You might want to give it a try!

I don't know about DPP, though, I see it's "off" with a jpeg...don't know why

And, welcome to POTN! And, congrats for having a great "Classic" camera!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,492 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 13, 2013 01:11 |  #3

If you shoot jpgs the PIC has already been done in the camera, so it would be pointless and excessive for DPP or LR to do it again automatically, even if it could. If you shoot Raw the PIC has not been done, only included as an item in the metadata list of camera settings which DPP sees and applies, but LR does not. However, the Lens Correction profile will do vignetting correction, but you have to enable it - for each photo or for all files by making it on by default or with a preset applied during import. LR contains more correction profiles for Raw files than for jpgs, but there are some for jpgs - I don't know if there is one for your lens.

Elie / אלי

I ­ Love ­ Cats
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 13, 2013 01:50 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

tonylong wrote in post #16447133 (external link)
Hmm, I just opened a jpeg in Lightroom 4 and the Lens Vignetting worked. Also the Post Crop Vignetting tool (in the Effects panel) worked. In fact the "effect" of the post crop tool was significantly stronger than the "normal" tool. You might want to give it a try!

I don't know about DPP, though, I see it's "off" with a jpeg...don't know why

And, welcome to POTN! And, congrats for having a great "Classic" camera!

Thanks. Yes, the Post Crop Vignetting tool does work, more or less. But, I have to mess with it. If I shoot raw, the Lens Profile-Vignetting thing just 'works'. Of the two options, I like the raw+Lens Profile thing better. It instantly corrects vignetting and distortion with little or no input.

tzalman wrote in post #16447472 (external link)
If you shoot jpgs the PIC has already been done in the camera, so it would be pointless and excessive for DPP or LR to do it again automatically, even if it could. If you shoot Raw the PIC has not been done, only included as an item in the metadata list of camera settings which DPP sees and applies, but LR does not. However, the Lens Correction profile will do vignetting correction, but you have to enable it - for each photo or for all files by making it on by default or with a preset applied during import. LR contains more correction profiles for Raw files than for jpgs, but there are some for jpgs - I don't know if there is one for your lens.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, but I believe you are mistaken about PIC and the 5D. It is not capable of PIC, whether shooting JPG or raw. LR4.4 does have a profile for the EF24mm f/2.8 IS USM lens. It is only for .cr2 files, though. I can select a different lens, but the profiles don't match very well. This lens vignettes quite heavily at f/2.8.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 13, 2013 02:11 |  #5

I Love Cats wrote in post #16447505 (external link)
Thanks. Yes, the Post Crop Vignetting tool does work, more or less. But, I have to mess with it. If I shoot raw, the Lens Profile-Vignetting thing just 'works'. Of the two options, I like the raw+Lens Profile thing better. It instantly corrects vignetting and distortion with little or no input.

That's what I'd do if you want to "automate" things.

But, I don't have that lens, I haven't used a lens that does "serious" vignetting, although I've done my share of correction distortion (gotta do it if you shoot buildings and other scenes with vertical objects)!

Thanks for taking the time to answer, but I believe you are mistaken about PIC and the 5D. It is not capable of PIC, whether shooting JPG or raw. LR4.4 does have a profile for the EF24mm f/2.8 IS USM lens. It is only for .cr2 files, though. I can select a different lens, but the profiles don't match very well. This lens vignettes quite heavily at f/2.8.

Yeah, I think you're right about the 5D, it's really a "classic" when it comes to newer digital technology!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

I ­ Love ­ Cats
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 13, 2013 02:51 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Tony,
Thanks again for the input. I did some more testing and it appears that I was contributing to the vignetting problem with the scene I tested this lens with. Picture shooting across the dining room table, in a dining room lit by an above the table chandelier. (too fancy, but I don't know what else to call it) This is obviously (after the fact) going to light the area directly across from me more than the periphery of the scene. I did some test shots on an evenly lit blank wall while they look pretty bad in their own right, they are not nearly what I was seeing initially.

Just because I have this kind of time, I shot a blank wall at f/2.8 through f/16 in 1/3 stop increments. The vignetting cleans up as good as it gets by about f/4. If I shoot raw and run them through LR4 with the lens profile tool, even the f/16 shot is improved. On top of that, the f/2.8 shot looks nearly as good as the f/16 shot.

I believe I will have to shoot this lens raw. That is OK. Clicking a button in LR is about $1200 cheaper than an EF24mm f/1.4 IIL. I have no intention of upgrading my camera as long as it is still working.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 13, 2013 03:21 |  #7

Way to go!

I have to admit that I don't tend to shoot wide open with my "general purpose" lenses, but I'm glad you've found some solutions!!

Tony

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,492 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 13, 2013 03:59 |  #8

I Love Cats wrote in post #16447505 (external link)

Sorry, never had a 5D. In fact, I'm not even sure my 5D2 does PIC because I have never shot a jpg with it and almost never used DPP with it. I made, therefore, an unwarranted assumption and I apologize. However, many newer cameras do make lens aberration corrections to jpgs, sometimes even without the user's knowledge, and this is why LR has relatively few jpg profiles - to avoid redundancy. However, Adobe does have a free application that accesses a site where community members have posted home-made profiles and you might find one there. I even found a (Raw) profile for my ancient Sigma 15-30 which has been out of production for eons.

Elie / אלי

I ­ Love ­ Cats
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 13, 2013 04:19 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

tzalman wrote in post #16447617 (external link)
Sorry, never had a 5D. In fact, I'm not even sure my 5D2 does PIC because I have never shot a jpg with it and almost never used DPP with it. I made, therefore, an unwarranted assumption and I apologize. However, many newer cameras do make lens aberration corrections to jpgs, sometimes even without the user's knowledge, and this is why LR has relatively few jpg profiles - to avoid redundancy. However, Adobe does have a free application that accesses a site where community members have posted home-made profiles and you might find one there. I even found a (Raw) profile for my ancient Sigma 15-30 which has been out of production for eons.

Thanks again. No problem about the 5D. I realize I am shooting the digital equivalent of a Woolly Mammoth. But I don't find it lacking in any way that I would be willing to pay to change. I'd love a 5D3, for lots more than just in-camera lens corrections. But the 5D does everything I need done; a 5D3 would just be huge overkill for me. I will look for those user-created jpg lens profiles.

sponsored links

979 views & 0 likes for this thread
PIC only with raw?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.