Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 04:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

the new patent of Canon to increase DR

genjurok
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 13, 2013 04:39 |  #1

http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2013-11-11 (external link)

It's in Japanese but you can use google translator to help read it.

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

sponsored links
Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 13, 2013 08:47 |  #2

Looks to be more of the "dual pixel AF" thing to me. But then, I'm not an engineer. It will probably lead to better AF during video and maybe a bit better high iso. Things that we don't really need more of (IMHO).

It is a patent pending on the image plane phase difference AF Canon is superior even to the low sensitivity to high sensitivity. One pixel, is divided into two sub-pixels in the image plane the phase difference AF, and be to the sensitivity characteristics different this seems to enlarge the sensitivity of reception.

Patent Document Full Description · Taishaku own solutions

Laid-Open 2013-228692 designation
Publication date 2013.11.7
Out May Day 2012.3.29
Manufactured by Canon nn Full Licence
Image plane phase difference AF
Low light sensitivity Ministry Ministry を と light sensitivity with su ru

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 13, 2013 08:56 as a reply to  @ Copidosoma's post |  #3

There already are two new "Canon-bodies" with higher DR and higher resolution. The A7 and A7R. These cameras are made and sold by Sony, but what does it matter? :)

Waiting for Canon to improve their sensor tech is like waiting for rain in the Atacama desert. Canon is deeply in love with video, and they don't seem to care much about still photography improvements.

When / if they release a new sensor with higher DR, higher res (and no shadow banding), it will come in a 7.000 dollar 1D-body.. So yeah, keep waiting if you want.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 13, 2013 09:16 |  #4

Copidosoma wrote in post #16448049 (external link)
It will probably lead to better AF during video and maybe a bit better high iso. Things that we don't really need more of (IMHO).

Could not agree more!

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 13, 2013 09:25 |  #5

Copidosoma wrote in post #16448049 (external link)
Looks to be more of the "dual pixel AF" thing to me. But then, I'm not an engineer. It will probably lead to better AF during video and maybe a bit better high iso. Things that we don't really need more of (IMHO).

Lowner wrote in post #16448130 (external link)
Could not agree more!

Yup. Video recording night vision (high ISO) devices = Canon's top priority these days.

genjurok
THREAD ­ STARTER
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 13, 2013 09:32 |  #6

English is not my first language and I don't know the correct technical terms. Here is my understand about the patent. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

If you have tried dual ISO of magic lantern, you should know how powerful it is in terms of expanding dynamic range. 3 stops more DR can be achieved using that method. The idea of this patent is actually very similar to dual ISO , but done at pixel level instead of interleaved lines. Therefore it will eliminated the main drawback of the dual ISO method : when combine two interleaved picture frames together, resolution is lost.

In this patent, for each pixel it contains two units with different sensibility, the lower sensibility unit will take care of the detail of highlight, and the higher sensibility unit will take care of the shadow. After combine them together (on pixel level), you get much better dynamic range with details on both ends. This patent is mainly for expanding DR in my understanding.

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

sponsored links

1,238 views & 0 likes for this thread
the new patent of Canon to increase DR
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.