Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 05:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the biggest disaster or close call you had with a camera and gear?

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 13, 2013 10:10 |  #16

A couple years ago in New Hampshire at a place called the basin I was shooting from the edge of a river and the current was very strong due to a few days of constant rain. The river bed at this place is almost completely granite. So I have my 5d mkii on a tripod and its already in the water resting on the slippery uneven granite, I had to hold on just to keep it from being swept away in the strong current. So... somehow I decided it was a good idea to stand in the water right at the edge, I'm wearing boots and jeans, and have importaint things like wallet, keys, and cell phone in my pockets. So I lose my footing on the slippery granite and off I go down the stream with the camera in hand, heart beating a million miles a minute. Somehow I kept just the camera above water lever and managed to get my foot lodged into a ridge on the river bed, stopping me. The process of getting out of there was hell, the slightest wrong movements would send me sliding again, but slowly I got the hell out of there with everything intact.

sponsored links
Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,504 posts
Gallery: 663 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 13, 2013 10:39 |  #17

An ugly scratch on my lens hood. Nothing more serious yet.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 13, 2013 10:44 |  #18

My brother and I had our cameras on our tripods waiting for sunrise and he bent over to get something out of his backpack. The moment he bent down there was a strong gust of wind and his camera tipped over. He was able to catch it just before it hit the ground so that was a close call.

Personally, we were leaving a motel headed for my daughter's college graduation and the first thing I did was put my camera in the back of the van. Then my mother-in-law's wheel chair wouldn't fit in the back so I removed the backpack and set it at the rear of the van while I positioned the wheelchair. As usual for my family we were late so we were in a rush and I forgot to put the backpack back in the van. I realized I had left the backpack when I opened the back of the van at the auditorium. I rushed back to the motel and the backpack was gone. I lost my 40D, 3 lenses(28-135, 12-22, & 100-400L), 580EXii flash, and a bunch of odds & ends. I was gone no more than 15 minutes and the bag was right in front of the front door of the motel but no one saw anything and none of the equipment was ever recovered. I did have insurance but it only covered about 70% of my loss.

Joe
5DIII

Edgar ­ in ­ ATL
389 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Nov 13, 2013 10:52 |  #19

On visit to NASA Visitors Center at Cape Kennedy, I had to open my camera bag for a security check that took longer than one would normally expect, and in a hurry to catch up with the rest of my party I forgot to zip the main compartment...my 30D survived the fall to the concrete floor, but my Sigma 12-24 attached to it did not. The repair cost was a substantial fraction of the cost of a new one, but it does work fine on my 70D. I now think of it as a camera body protector.

Canon 90D & M6 Advanced Amateur

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 13, 2013 11:18 |  #20

Last year, frigid day out shooting ducks in my buddy's impoundment. I had been out there a couple times before and walked in the front side. Pretty easy walk, nothing more than about 2 ft. of water. This time I decided to walk in the backside. Had my 1DIV and 400 2.8 on the tripod over my shoulder. Little fact I forgot - there is a 4ft deep ditch running the perimeter of the impoundment to control water flow. Without thinking, I took my first couple steps with no problem, then WHAM! I hit the ditch. One foot on the 2 ft. side, one on the 4ft side. The only thing that kept me from falling completely over camera and all - I had my tripod legs extended and was able to use it as support until I got my footing back.

Same impoundment, couple days later went in the front side this time. Get to about 10 feet form the blind and make the left turn to go into the blind. Guess what surround the blind - all but a 4 ft. portion? Another ditch. This time, right leg hit the walkway and slipped into the ditch. Same this using the tripod for balance this time was a little tougher as I had to contort my body 90 degrees to the right to catch my balance.

I've also had a leg not get tightened on my tripod enough to support the weight and had it collapse within inches of taking a bath.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

Geejay
783 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 25, 2013 15:45 |  #21

In 1981 the porter in Hotel Carter, NYC stole my camera gear from the luggage check room while we were at lunch. This was the last day of our first trip to the US, and his haul included about 6 rolls of shot film.... All we could do was get a police report number and then leave for the airport.

We were young and very naive, but I'd love to have those images of the twin towers back...

I guess one should forgive and forget, so I hope he finds out who his father is one day....

You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up.

Geejay
783 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 25, 2013 15:48 |  #22

In 2009, I picked up my camera bag while in Leubeck, and my 70-200 Siggy dropped out the side rear end first onto the cobbles... Not good. Took about a month to get it repaired. It's been good as new since..

Logicus
787 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 25, 2013 15:56 |  #23

Had just taken shots at Broke Leg Falls near Red River Gorge in KY. Camera and tripod, while sitting on a level concrete surface 10-12 feet away from a friend and me, leaped, yes, leaped to it's demise on the boulders below. The 40d's body was compromised and the lens came off the camera, while the lens' mount remained on the camera. Luckily, I'd left the 5dII in the car!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i138.photobucke​t.com …50/jlogic_2000/​Eulogy.jpg (external link)

My Gear List
My flickr (external link)
My flickr photos organized by Lens Used (external link)

Geejay
783 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 25, 2013 16:01 |  #24

Logicus wrote in post #16479469 (external link)
Had just taken shots at Broke Leg Falls near Red River Gorge in KY. Camera and tripod, while sitting on a level concrete surface 10-12 feet away from a friend and me, leaped, yes, leaped to it's demise on the boulders below. The 40d's body was compromised and the lens came off the camera, while the lens' mount remained on the camera. Luckily, I'd left the 5dII in the car!

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s138.photobucke​t.com …000/media/Eulog​y.jpg.html  (external link)

Well the strap survived without a scratch......

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 25, 2013 16:10 |  #25

I'm glad I'm part ninja. Went to the buffet at a resort in Cancun with my wife and I had my camera. When I came back with my plate, I set things down and inadvertantly pushed my 5D3 off the side of the table. I quickly dropped my fork and knife and was able to cradle the camera before it hit the ground. Guy sitting two tables away looked at me and said, "Nice catch."

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,463 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2013 16:25 |  #26

I experienced a near disaster thanks to a stupid mental lapse on my part. I was out on a pre-dawn architectural photoshoot and had both my TS-E 17 and 24 II with me. At some point I switched lenses and temporarily set the 24mm down on metal structure. Unfortunately my short-term memory failed me and I had driven almost all the way home after the shoot before the sickening realization struck me: I had left the expensive TS-E 24mm II sitting on a ledge in plain sight out in the open. Oh what a sickening feeling!

Thankfully, I had the building security's phone number and, after calling them, they quickly secured the lens for me. Man, what a boneheaded mistake on my part!

My TS-E 24mm II must be cursed or something, because I also irretrievably lost a the tilt knob in a hayfield. I wasn't able to find either a needle or a tilt-knob in the stack of hay.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

d.tek
297 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 25, 2013 16:35 |  #27

I stopped to take a few photos on the way to a relative's house. When I got there, I pulled my backpack out of my car, not realizing I had not zipped it up. Sure enough, my 70-200 F4L fell out from waist-high to the cement below and put a large crack in the body near the mount. I sent it back to Canon to get repaired, which they did, but it doesn't function like it used to. It doesn't pull the same colors, contrast and sharpness that it used to...

Why couldn't the 50 1.8 have fallen out instead? :(

Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 25, 2013 16:37 |  #28

No disasters yet. However, I experienced an extremely close call not to long ago. I inadvertently left my camera equipment spreadsheet up on my computer screen. It lists date purchased, serial numbers and cost paid. Wow, if the wife saw that.....:lol:

Jim
Gear List

eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 25, 2013 16:49 as a reply to  @ jbrackjr's post |  #29

While traveling, I dropped a lens off a very high bed.. Luckily only the b+w lens filter shattered.
Another time while waiting for the car rental, I dropped a non padded bag and it shattered another b+w filter on a lens.
7 million dollar crumpler cured my dropping woes.. but I was happy that the impact was on the b+w and not on the lens glass.

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

Ben ­ Rubinstein
76 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 25, 2013 16:54 |  #30

Too many happy endings here! :p

Over a decade of shooting weddings - dropped camera, fell on 24-70L which snapped off its lens mount base. Another time did the same thing, didn't snap but zoom mechanism jammed up badly, was an expensive repair.
Had a 50mm 1.8 break into two parts from a one foot fall to the ground, two almost perfect halves. Happened to a friend too. Worst was it was a loaner from a friend as my 1.4 was in the shop being calibrated. Luckily it was the time of very cheap Canon lenses, replaced it for £70 if I remember right.
Have broken off more 580ex hotshoes than I care to remember, £30 fix a time and I wanted them to give me a 'break 9 get the tenth free' card! :D
Shot an outdoor gig in such heavy rain that the screens of both my 5D's went on the fritz, weird colours, etc. Problem would go away if you hit the screen just right.
My 50L arrived from abroad, a friend brought it out for me, broken focus window and broken filter ring. Had obviously been dropped. Problem was they had been doing me a big favour, I couldn't prove anything and yeah, it's still like that. I replaced the focus window but the focus meter sticker underneath got badly scratched and I hadn't bought a replacement. Such is life..
My 85mm 1.8, I put an old filter ring on it to preserve the filter thread as I didn't like filters and didn't use a hood. It got jammed on and one night after a long wedding and just 2 hours of sleep, drunk on exhaustion I went at it with pliers. Horrible sight, looked like it had been mangled by a fire by the time I finished. Got it taken off eventually years later by a tech.
My 16-35LII has a bent filter ring, annoyed about that one, no idea how it happened, didn't realise till I tried to polarise a scene on a commercial gig and it refused to screw on. Tech tells me it's not possible to straighten, have to replace the front part of the barrel. Not bothering to be honest, expensive fix. More to the point it's working perfectly, doubt it will come back with the elements so well aligned.

sponsored links

6,304 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the biggest disaster or close call you had with a camera and gear?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.