Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 21 Nov 2013 (Thursday) 10:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe Opening up Photographer CC 9.99 plan..

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 29, 2013 00:15 |  #31

PLLphotography wrote in post #16486659 (external link)
And I am fine with that. If in a year's time I don't like the price increase (if any), then I'll cancel and be no worse off than I am now.

Unless you save your work in the latest PSD format, and your current version of Photoshop doesn't support the new features. (This may not be an issue to you, but it's something to be aware of. Normally once someone upgrades to a newer version, it can be difficult in some instances to go back).

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

sponsored links
magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 29, 2013 07:37 as a reply to  @ adza77's post |  #32

I was ready to do this but I am not keen to allow Adobe to store my credit card details after they have demonstrated their poor level of security.

I think I would do it if I could pay for a year without them storing my card then I get the option to make a one-off payment to renew each year.

They are missing a trick not doing this, I am sure quite a few people would opt for this and a huge pile of cash would land on their lap.

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 29, 2013 14:33 |  #33

^^ maybe, but then you have the other side of the coin. By doing it monthly instead of yearly and being automatic people are less prone to cancel their subscription (or let it lapse), even if the price goes up. There will also be a certain percentage that will be 'out of sight, out of mind' where the subscription will continue to be renewed.

The less they can get their customers considering whether they're renew or cancel, the better off for Adobe it will be.

So, while they might win some extra over such as yourself, the question is would they lose more in lapses of renewals and cancellations than they would gain?

In addition to this, I think one of the main benefits of the subscription system (for Adobe) is all about the bottom line. They can budget and forecast much easier this way without being worried how many people will be interested in the new features they release with their new version.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 29, 2013 15:16 |  #34

magwai wrote in post #16487990 (external link)
I was ready to do this but I am not keen to allow Adobe to store my credit card details after they have demonstrated their poor level of security.

I think I would do it if I could pay for a year without them storing my card then I get the option to make a one-off payment to renew each year.

They are missing a trick not doing this, I am sure quite a few people would opt for this and a huge pile of cash would land on their lap.

You do know that any time you use your credit card that all the information is required to be kept on file by the business for at least 18 months, right?

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 29, 2013 17:11 |  #35

Luckless wrote in post #16488724 (external link)
You do know that any time you use your credit card that all the information is required to be kept on file by the business for at least 18 months, right?

See that's just it. Even if you never, ever, ever shop online or conduct any business over the Internet, your personal and financial information is still stored in a database somewhere that can be hacked into.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 29, 2013 18:17 |  #36

CincyTriGuy wrote in post #16488968 (external link)
See that's just it. Even if you never, ever, ever shop online or conduct any business over the Internet, your personal and financial information is still stored in a database somewhere that can be hacked into.

You don't even need to hack anything. Based purely on publicly accessible records you are able to find enough information on most people to take out a credit card in their name. Credit card fraud existed before the internet shopping was common.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

littlejohncharles
50 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 01, 2013 09:32 as a reply to  @ post 16471874 |  #37

but if after this first year they increase the price more than i can accept and i decide to drop the subscription, have i to pay the penalty of 50% of yearly amount?

Canon 5D mkIII - Canon 350D - Canon 16-35 II- Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II- Canon 10-22 - Canon 24-105 - Canon 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon 50 f/1.8

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 01, 2013 16:34 |  #38

littlejohncharles wrote in post #16492531 (external link)
but if after this first year they increase the price more than i can accept and i decide to drop the subscription, have i to pay the penalty of 50% of yearly amount?

Are you referring to this line?

"Cancellation
We'd hate to see you go, but if you cancel within the first 30 days starting from your contract date, we'll give you a full refund. Otherwise, you'll be billed 50% of your remaining contract obligation for the cancellation or removal of seats."

It is a 12 month contract, paying $10 a month. If you don't cancel in the first month then you are on the hook for the whole year's contract. After than first month you are either paying the entire 10 a month till your year long contract is up, or you cancel and pay a lump sum equal to half of the rest of the year.

At the end of the 12 months you renew for another contract term, and the process starts over. If you are planning to stop your subscription then you would cancel before the new contract term begins.

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 01, 2013 21:15 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

Some businesses are sneaky and when you originally sign up you agree to automatic billing. That happened to me once and when I saw the charge I wrote them and they refunded me in full. I suspect if you catch a charge after your initial contract, you can get a refund for that month and cancel.

The 50% clause means if you cancel after 30 days of your initial agreement.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

w0m
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 02, 2013 09:38 |  #40

This is arguably the biggest reason to use a credit card with good customer service. If you don't immediately get results talking to the company charging you (here; Adobe), Just dispute it with your CC company (~5 minutes total) and you should be clear; they'll fight for you and remove the charge without you having to stress about it at all.

[6D]

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 02, 2013 09:39 |  #41

I pay more than that when I go out to lunch half the time. I guess I'll skip a lunch every week :-)

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 02, 2013 14:15 |  #42

PLLphotography wrote in post #16495044 (external link)
I pay more than that when I go out to lunch half the time. I guess I'll skip a lunch every week :-)

sacrificing lunch -- a photoshop addict !

-AP-
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 02, 2013 15:56 |  #43

PLLphotography wrote in post #16495044 (external link)

Not every week.. Just once a month.. That's my plan at least... ;)

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 02, 2013 15:58 |  #44

lol, I meant once a week I'll skip on eating out for lunch.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 02, 2013 18:27 |  #45

PLLphotography wrote in post #16496100 (external link)
lol, I meant once a week I'll skip on eating out for lunch.

saving money and losing weight - good strategy

sponsored links

7,356 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe Opening up Photographer CC 9.99 plan..
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.