Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Nov 2013 (Friday) 00:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&H Shipping

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,410 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 22, 2013 00:05 |  #1

Has anyone noticed that B&H shipping takes longer now since they started using Fedex even though it's coming from the same place? I'm in the DC area and my shipments only took 2 days with UPS. Now, it takes about 5 or more days with Fedex. When I check the status, it seems that they are just sitting on the shipment (i.e. holding it). Just curious?

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links
JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 22, 2013 00:23 |  #2

Fedex is horrible. They have almost always missed delivery dates for me. Plus, I find the UPS people much more friendly. They will come to my door and kind of talk for a few moments. The Fedex people just show up... look at you like "I hate my job", get you to sign, then just leave. I think BH should go back to UPS :P

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 22, 2013 00:56 |  #3

When it was true FedEx, things were typically arriving a day early, when it was UPS they were dead on time, with the FedEx smart post it's always a gamble, generally a day longer than the others overall.

I tend to go with the free shipping unless there is a major time crunch so I try to be a little more flexible. The scary part for me is it's been ages since B&H required a signature for a package, a little less worry about being able to get to the door quick enough when they drop something off; but a lot more worry it'll be left by the carrier on my doorstep midday and gone by the time I get home.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Dunderhead
107 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 22, 2013 05:31 as a reply to  @ Motor On's post |  #4

Same gripe here. I'm in CT. UPS ground was 1 day in transit. I ordered a memory card that was in stock on the 17th. Today is the 22nd and I still don't have it. FedEx smartpost is really inconsistent. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes, meh.

My name is Brian.
6D | A handful of lenses and a few other bit and pieces....
My website (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 22, 2013 06:06 |  #5

Slow like a turtle. It is almost like the package is delayed on purpose. 5 days to ship from Brooklyn to Eastern Pa.
Adorama. .. Ordered a lens Wed... got it Thur...

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,384 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 22, 2013 06:24 |  #6

Are you all letting B&H know? Let them know of your dissatisfaction and they might just go back to UPS.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,391 posts
Gallery: 442 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 22, 2013 06:41 |  #7

Naturalist wrote in post #16471442 (external link)
Are you all letting B&H know? Let them know of your dissatisfaction and they might just go back to UPS.

I'm sure no one is saying anything to them.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

l89kip
582 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 22, 2013 07:36 |  #8

Money saving move. FedEx plus USPS is cheaper.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,410 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 22, 2013 08:52 |  #9

Ok, so it's not just me. I do plan to inquire with B&H, but they do state that the free shipping option takes 5-6 business days (if I recall), so if it's a cost cutting measure for them, it may not be of any concern to them.

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 22, 2013 09:53 |  #10

I bought a $200 camera strap from B&H. The original was shipped fine. My replacement was shipped loose with absolutely no protection and the belt buckle was poking though the side of the box.
They did ship my replacement and the shipping for the return was a LOT faster.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

pterpm
97 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 22, 2013 10:35 |  #11

I been have bad experience with B&H peoples there not friendly at all , even when you talk to them about purchasing the new items. The sellers don't care about customerS and shipping took way longer than Adorama. I like Adorama more than B&H and seem Adorama have the cheaper price compare with B&H

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 22, 2013 10:40 |  #12

5 days for East Coast shipping and East Coast delivery is just plain wrong! (As in not fair!)

I'm only taking a guess here, but I suspect the cost-savings measure of Super Saver shipping (Fed-Ex combined with USPS) is achieved by your package traveling to you when there is "Space-Available" on the shipping trucks. By sending things Space-A, they can offer reduced shipping prices to retailers and keep their trucks filled.

Bryan

My Gear List

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,391 posts
Gallery: 442 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 22, 2013 10:46 |  #13

Is there a B&H rep on these boards? Maybe they ought to chime in before this turns into a bash B&H thread.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Dunderhead
107 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 22, 2013 10:55 as a reply to  @ ptcanon3ti's post |  #14

In all fairness, the potential delivery time IS stated when you pick super saver shipping. It is a little disappointing though when you got spoiled with the previous way that they shipped.

My name is Brian.
6D | A handful of lenses and a few other bit and pieces....
My website (external link)

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,410 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 22, 2013 11:26 |  #15

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #16471922 (external link)
Is there a B&H rep on these boards? Maybe they ought to chime in before this turns into a bash B&H thread.

B&H responded over HERE (external link) on FM to similar post in July. They are basically cutting cost, which I can truly understand, but I still won't believe that it takes 6 days to ship from NY to NJ when shipped the same day.

If it gets out of hand, I will contact a Mod to shut it down. But for now, we are just stating our experiences. Also, no one is pointing the finger at B&H, they are stating that FedEx is slow. B&H did it's part by shipping the same day. It's FedEx that's dragging their feet.

Dunderhead wrote in post #16471943 (external link)
In all fairness, the potential delivery time IS stated when you pick super saver shipping. It is a little disappointing though when you got spoiled with the previous way that they shipped.

I did note the shipping time above (post #9) for fairness, so that all know it's their policy for free shipping. This has always been their policy, but we all know, it should not take 6 days to ship from NY to NJ if a package shipped the same day. I'm just pointing out that this started when they began using FedEx. USPS would get it to you in 2 days.

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,062 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&H Shipping
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.