Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 20:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cleaning Sensor Question :(

CaPpedDoG
197 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 23, 2013 20:52 |  #1

Hi everyone, so today I attempted my first wet clean on my 5D3. It didn't really go as planned. I used Eclipse fluid with type 3 Sensor Swabs. There seems to be more dust now. However, 98% of it are along the edges and in the corners. I went through 12 sensor swabs and can't get it off!! I don't know wtf I'm doing wrong :confused:. Any thoughts?

sponsored links
Frodge
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 23, 2013 20:54 |  #2

I experienced similar.

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 23, 2013 20:55 |  #3

The first time I wet cleaned a sensor, I had the same issuess. It does take a bit of finesse to get the hang of how much fluid to use, etc. Just take a deep breath. :)

What I found was that I wasn't seating the swab on the sensor and thus had less pressure on the edges. Clean in one direction (with an overlapping second swipe, if needed). Then get a new swab and clean in the other direction.

HTH

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 23, 2013 21:02 |  #4

I found the edges of the swab left fibers on the edges of the black seals. It wasn't a fun experience and I'm good working with small repairs etc.

CaPpedDoG
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 23, 2013 21:12 |  #5

Thanks for the replies. I think that may be my issue: not seating the swab correctly... I was also cleaning in one direction, turning it around, and going back. I'll give what you suggested a try, NewCreation.

Edit: Should I order the same swabs (Photosol Sensor Swabs) or should I try something like VisibleDust?

aliengin
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 23, 2013 22:56 |  #6

Ha! OK, after you clean it wait a few minutes to dry and use rocket blower to dust off those tiny fibers. They are not dust, they are the fibers from the swab and they clean way easy all you have to do gently blow it do now use a powerful blower.

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 24, 2013 04:34 |  #7

CaPpedDoG wrote in post #16475380 (external link)
I think that may be my issue: not seating the swab correctly... I was also cleaning in one direction, turning it around, and going back.

it's all in the technique. getting the right amount on the swab and going in one direction

HKFEVER
Goldmember
1,982 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2004

Nov 24, 2013 07:34 |  #8

It's not that tough, just need to get use to it. I have my first since 1DS.

Or try this at 13:20 of http://vimeo.com/65518​61 (external link)

CaPpedDoG
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 27, 2013 15:24 |  #9

Okay, so 12 more came in the mail today. I just went through 6 and the problem is worse!! Dust is building up in the corners more and more. It's very, very frustrating. I only have 6 left and I don't want to order more (costing me like $75 for 12.) I don't understand. I'm using proper technique and I'm generally good at doing things with my hands. Aaargh!!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1114.photobuck​et.com …/BSP_1043_zpsee​78e715.jpg (external link)

seall
561 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 27, 2013 15:29 |  #10

Get a razor then trim a mm of the edge of the next swab.

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 27, 2013 15:42 |  #11

A little patience and a bit of practice and you'll nail it. I was in the same position the first few times I cleaned mine. It's an acquired talent that comes with time. The other thing I learned is that no matter who cleans your sensor, you or Canon, it will never be 100%. Good suggestions by the other posters as well. Never thought of the razor idea. Good job seall!

feedback

gear list

seall
561 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 27, 2013 15:46 |  #12

I went through a few then tried it out of desperation as I had the same problem, the swab seemed to be just too big so I trimmed it which made the motion easier.

CaPpedDoG
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 27, 2013 16:23 |  #13

Thanks for the replies. I've gone through my last 6 and now there's a bunch of crap in the top left. I tried your suggestion too seall, but no luck :( I guess I'm going to have to have a local store do it or send it off to Canon. Last time I sent my camera to Canon I was without it for over a month. Oh ya, and there's 3 small particles in the viewvinder now... doh.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1114.photobuck​et.com …/BSP_1051_zps87​b34203.jpg (external link)

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 27, 2013 16:28 |  #14

Just out of curiosity, do you have a rocket blower? Like a giottos rocket blower? I found that most of the crap on my sensor was removed by using the rocket blower first.

My advice, grab a rocket blower, order up some more pec pads, take a deep breath and try again. You really aren't alone in this, we have all done this, with the same frustration. Truly what you have in that corner is an easy clean.

Check this (external link) for the rocket blower. Very inexpensive and very handy to have around.

feedback

gear list

Frodge
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 27, 2013 16:34 |  #15

They need to come up with a better alternative than those swabs. They leave stuff behind.

sponsored links

5,574 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cleaning Sensor Question :(
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.