Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 Nov 2013 (Monday) 01:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Selling gear?

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 25, 2013 01:35 |  #1

I'm too new here to sell stuff - but was looking at a site named Andora that buys and sells used equipment.

Does anyone know anything about that site ... is the offer reasonable, or expecting us to give it away?

What about B&H photo - I've bought from them, but what about selling used? Fair offers?

Anyone know any other sites for selling direct - have no use for Ebay or Craigslist for these items - would want to sell all at once, and buy new equipment soon - am upgrading

sponsored links
CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 25, 2013 02:45 |  #2

With Andora, I'm thinking you were on Adorama(?).

If so, both sites are reputable but don't expect to receive top dollar (compared to selling it used on Craigslist, eBay or even on the forum) since they will likely be reselling it after purchasing from you.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 25, 2013 06:09 |  #3

Any retail place you sell your gear to will give you a lot less than what the going price is on forums or eBay. They have to resell the item and make a profit. So if a lens sold on a forum fetches $1100, they'll give you $400-500 for it.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter, Ruggard Journey 34 Shoulder Bag

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,183 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 25, 2013 06:47 |  #4

Another buyer of goods is KEH. Here's a recent thread where a poster talks about his/herexperience with them. You can pick his/her brain, too.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,477 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 25, 2013 08:26 |  #5

you're better off selling it on here, even if you don't go for full used market value, you can always sell for between what the big boys offer you and what the used going rate is.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

jmckayak
446 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

Nov 25, 2013 08:57 |  #6

Monkey44. You will have some trouble selling stuff at first. Do you know someone on the forum who could vouch for you? That would be a great help when you start selling. Also you will want to have some feedback from somewhere, Ebay at least.
Welcome to POTN and be sure to be active throughout the forums, not just the classified. This place is a fount of information, most of it good...

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 25, 2013 09:17 |  #7

jmckayak wrote in post #16478471 (external link)
Monkey44. You will have some trouble selling stuff at first. Do you know someone on the forum who could vouch for you? That would be a great help when you start selling. Also you will want to have some feedback from somewhere, Ebay at least.
Welcome to POTN and be sure to be active throughout the forums, not just the classified. This place is a fount of information, most of it good...

Nope, don't know anyone - but have been active on this forum for awhile, then stopped posting, then started again recently.

I can make it comfortable for anyone on here or anywhere that wants to make a good, reasonable buy. Trouble is, I have several film cameras, and a few lenses that are kinda old, still great shape, just 'aged' a bit. So, have no clue its value or how to sell it. I'd like to get it sold all at once, even to someone on here that would resell it - Am just trying to get a little value out of equipment I don't use anymore, and maybe help someone out at the same time.

Am winding down my career as a photo-journalist and will upgrade to a newer DSLR and start looking at selling my images instead of my words ...

Bilderknipser
888 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Nov 25, 2013 09:22 as a reply to  @ monkey44's post |  #8

If I remember the rules correctly you're only 3 posts away from being able to post a for sale ad.
Film gear prices vary a lot from private seller vs. used dept. at B&H or Adorama, I would look what an item costs on ebay and then go from there.

Carmen
Mom, Veteran, Student
Gear List

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 25, 2013 13:22 |  #9

What I have is pretty inexpensive - so, probably not valuable in a 'hurry and sell this and get rich' kind of sale. I've just got it, maybe someone can use it (young, looking for a bargain), and save a few bucks.

I'd be especially helpful to a student or novice - I don't "need the money", but am just storing the equipment.

Whatever I get, will go towards a new camera, which I'm researching now and will buy in a week or so.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 25, 2013 13:49 |  #10

From your posts so far, I'm convinced you can eventually sell your items here on POTN with no problem as the seller. Your posts are coherent, well-written, and as long as you're able to show a history that you're a photographer (and not a scammer), then you should be fine.

I would continue posting the forums and make some good contributions in the threads. After that, you should be fine to sell your stuff. (Just make sure you exercise caution and research your potential buyers!)

As for prices, your best bet is to search the forums here, at Fred Miranda, and on eBay to get a feel for what the item is worth. You can usually get a ballpark figure, and then when you combine it with what it's worth to you to get rid of it, you can usually arrive at a price that's right for you.

Best of luck and good to see you active on the forums again!

Bryan

My Gear List

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 25, 2013 14:17 |  #11

Thanks - I'm usually 'asking' not helping, as my tech knowledge with the "D" part of DSLR is limited.

And, you can find me all over the web, as a writer ... some images as well. And some identifiable sources. So, no 'scammer' here, and always check out buyers. That's why I hesitate on Craigslist ... and Ebay - too much hassle weeding, although have sold things and bought things on both. It's always the scammers that reply to posting first - weed them out and get to the real people ...

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 25, 2013 14:53 |  #12

monkey44 wrote in post #16479189 (external link)
Thanks - I'm usually 'asking' not helping, as my tech knowledge with the "D" part of DSLR is limited.

Well, the good news is that the fundamentals of photography have not changed at all. (ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.) Digital has brought additional tools to the table, such as a histogram so you can evaluate your exposure...and a host of other tools. And of course, auto-focus systems have greatly improved as well, but the fundamentals of photography are still the same and I have a sneaky suspicion that you'll catch on very quickly once you start using a DSLR.

Bryan

My Gear List

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 25, 2013 16:54 |  #13

bps wrote in post #16479300 (external link)
Well, the good news is that the fundamentals of photography have not changed at all. (ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.) Digital has brought additional tools to the table, such as a histogram so you can evaluate your exposure...and a host of other tools. And of course, auto-focus systems have greatly improved as well, but the fundamentals of photography are still the same and I have a sneaky suspicion that you'll catch on very quickly once you start using a DSLR.

Bryan

Been using a DSLR for over ten years, very successfully. I just don't understand the new technology well, and also find the 'movable view, WIFI, and video" worthless to a photographer in the field - those options are more for a family camera, in my opinion. So, am exploring how and what is useful to me and will make a choice /// thanks for all the info :) :)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,442 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 27, 2013 08:10 |  #14

monkey44 wrote in post #16478007 (external link)
I'm too new here to sell stuff - but was looking at a site named Andora[ma] that buys and sells used equipment.

Does anyone know anything about that site ... is the offer reasonable, or expecting us to give it away?

I'm pleased to be able to give you a bit of background, which might help you to decide if it's the best route for you - as opposed to selling eg on POTN.

The Adorama used department get upwards of 1,800 pieces sent in for evaluation every week and at any given time there are 26 - 27,000 used items in the warehouse

The way the value is established is by using a calculation which takes into account the number of exact same units in the warehouse at the time of your trade; the average number of that same unit in stock over the past 6 months; the average selling price of the unit over the past 6 months and projected decreases in the pre-owned market in the coming months due to new models becoming available.

In addition, the selling prices on the website can only be a ROUGH guide if you are trying to figure out how much the used department might be able to pay you for your gear.

When new models are released, the overall market tends to soften. Pre-owned units will usually drop in value, but the used department will still be looking to sell existing pre-owned stock (which may have been warehoused and therefore costing the company revenue for days, weeks or months) without making too great a loss on the price that was originally paid.

While you will be offered 70% of the current re-sale value (as calculated above), unless you are selling a genuine collectors' piece, in my experience you shouldn't expect to receive more than 55-65% of the price you see on our website. If you do, then it’s a bonus.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOster (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/ (external link)

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 28, 2013 09:37 |  #15

Thanks all for the info ... am just exploring options. I don't particularly like Ebay or Craigslist for this, so will figure it out. I'm not set up with accounts or paypal, or any of that. So, it makes it more difficult to interact in those venues.

sponsored links

1,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
Selling gear?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.