Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Nov 2013 (Friday) 05:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The perfect travel kit, does it exist?

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 29, 2013 15:50 |  #31

Copidosoma wrote in post #16488751 (external link)
I always find that "only amateurs use light gear" argument a bit weak. By that standard we'd all be walking around busy markets and climbing mountains with our 8x10 field camera. But we don't.

Personally, I'd rather have a small discreet camera that takes high quality images and actually have it on me at all times (and not have everyone nearby look at me when I pull it out) than to have my full DSLR kit bogging me down all the time.

There are ALOT of options in the mirrorless realm that approach "perfect" for travel. The Fuji Xe2 would be a great example. Even the full range of lenses wouldn't take up alot of space in your bag.

Good times indeed.

To be fair, I never used the phrase "only amateurs use light gear." In fact, I stated that it's entirely possible for anyone to travel light, but difficult to do so for someone who is accustomed on a regular basis to using a high-quality camera body with an arsenal of high-quality lenses in various focal lengths to compose their images. I can't imagine an avid photographer with tons of professional lenses, waiting for years, saving their money for the ultimate excursion trip to Kilimanjaro or an African safari, only to travel with a P&S. Now, I've travelled to Disney and many other vacation destinations with a small P&S and have been very happy travelling light.

I've also seen however, tourists at the great pyramids in Egypt with small P&S cameras. I guarantee you the vast majority of those tourists with P&S cameras are not avid photographers with tons of professional gear back home. There may be a few here and there, but most avid photographers that visit one of the wonders of the world are going to want their best gear with them to capture that image. If they didn't bring it, I'm willing to bet there's a time when they regret not bringing it.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 29, 2013 16:01 |  #32

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16488808 (external link)
To be fair, I never used the phrase "only amateurs use light gear." In fact, I stated that it's entirely possible for anyone to travel light, but difficult to do so for someone who is accustomed on a regular basis to using a high-quality camera body with an arsenal of high-quality lenses in various focal lengths to compose their images. I can't imagine an avid photographer with tons of professional lenses, waiting for years, saving their money for the ultimate excursion trip to Kilimanjaro or an African safari, only to travel with a P&S. Now, I've travelled to Disney and many other vacation destinations with a small P&S and have been very happy travelling light.

I've also seen however, tourists at the great pyramids in Egypt with small P&S cameras. I guarantee you the vast majority of those tourists with P&S cameras are not avid photographers with tons of professional gear back home. There may be a few here and there, but most avid photographers that visit one of the wonders of the world are going to want their best gear with them to capture that image. If they didn't bring it, I'm willing to bet there's a time when they regret not bringing it.

To be fair, you didn't. But it was implied.

And also to be fair, "high-quality camera body with an arsenal of high-quality lenses in various focal lengths to compose their images." is fully available with modern mirrorless systems.

Comparing the latest crop of "compact cameras" to the P&S cameras that we all love to hate doesn't make any sense at all. Many of them rival the very best "professional" DSLRs (at least as far as image quality is concerned).

If I was going on a safari or on a trip specifically to see one or two "wonders" then I would bring my DSLR. Those would be pretty rare trips though.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 29, 2013 16:10 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

Copidosoma wrote in post #16488824 (external link)

And also to be fair, "high-quality camera body with an arsenal of high-quality lenses in various focal lengths to compose their images." is fully available with modern mirrorless systems.

Comparing the latest crop of "compact cameras" to the P&S cameras that we all love to hate doesn't make any sense at all. Many of them rival the very best "professional" DSLRs (at least as far as image quality is concerned).

If I was going on a safari or on a trip specifically to see one or two "wonders" then I would bring my DSLR. Those would be pretty rare trips though.

That's my view as well. If I am traveling to places specific, or at least my main focus being photography, then yeh I'll bring along my full DSLR outfit with an aunteraige of lens, but if I am traveling the world to see the world, the mirrorless systems of today are more than capable of fully documenting these travels...and still able to produce excellent results.

I document my travels after the fact using photo books and since switching over to the X100, the quality of the photo books, which are 11x14, has not changed from when I used DSLR's for my travels.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 29, 2013 16:22 |  #34

Copidosoma wrote in post #16488824 (external link)

The mirrorless vs DSLR debate is a whole other topic that we can't get into here without severely derailing this thread.

The question posed by the OP was whether or not there was a holy grail photographic travel kit. My answer was a resounding "it depends". It depends on several factors, including the type of photographer you are, your level of experience using different photographic equipment and where you will be travelling.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback

Ztivk
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 29, 2013 16:41 as a reply to  @ lehmanncpa's post |  #35

Always two cameras(safety) G1X and EOS M + 22mm + 70-200/4L IS

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 29, 2013 16:50 |  #36

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16488854 (external link)
The mirrorless vs DSLR debate is a whole other topic that we can't get into here without severely derailing this thread.

The question posed by the OP was whether or not there was a holy grail photographic travel kit. My answer was a resounding "it depends". It depends on several factors, including the type of photographer you are, your level of experience using different photographic equipment and where you will be travelling.

I think that the interesting part is that mirrorless is fully appropriate as a consideration in this thread. That alone demonstrates how far that technology has come. Is it there yet? It depends ;)

It always depends and there never will be a technology that will be perfect for everyone in all situations (so, there, I guess I just answered the OP's question) but there are some options out there that are getting surprisingly close for alot of people.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 29, 2013 16:58 |  #37

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16488854 (external link)

Seriously? I think it's a major choice one has to make for travel. Mirrorless is a viable option.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 29, 2013 18:07 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #38

Mirrorless - tried it - Fuji XE-1 with lenses. It was expensive for what it was, lens options were very limited, it was awkward to use (check out the Fuji forum), and my 6D is not much more to carry, esp with the wider strap. I don't notice the difference in carry but I noticepd a huge upgrade with the 6D in functionality and image quality. When I want light, 6D with the 35 or nifty fifty prime is very little to carry. If I need smaller/lighter than that my iphone will do.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

stang67
385 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 29, 2013 18:16 |  #39

Gobeatty wrote in post #16489056 (external link)
Mirrorless - tried it - Fuji XE-1 with lenses. It was expensive for what it was, lens options were very limited, it was awkward to use (check out the Fuji forum), and my 6D is not much more to carry, esp with the wider strap. I don't notice the difference in carry but I noticepd a huge upgrade with the 6D in functionality and image quality. When I want light, 6D with the 35 or nifty fifty prime is very little to carry. If I need smaller/lighter than that my iphone will do.

I was recently thinking about selling my OM-D E-M5 and going for a Fuji, but then I realised they really aren't that small and with EF lenses already, it would be more expensive than merely going with a 6D, so I would agree with you. However, micro 4/3 is still quite a lot smaller with most of the lenses (besides telephoto). I think that while a 6D with a 35 prime for example is okay to carry, it's not very flexible and that's where it all goes downhill when you need to carry around 3 or 4 lenses or a superzoom that is large and compromises on quality quite a lot.

Canon 6D - Canon 1D Mk III - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Σ 105mm f/2.8 | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | Σ 35mm f/1.4 | 17-40mm f/4L
flickr (external link)

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 29, 2013 18:51 |  #40

Gobeatty wrote in post #16489056 (external link)

This. I had a chance to use the NEX-6 with lots of lenses for about a week. A friend visited with us this summer and brought it with him. I didn't care for it. I took my SL1 with my 17-40L and found it was lighter, easier to use and I think had better image quality.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 29, 2013 18:56 |  #41

stang67 wrote in post #16489068 (external link)
I was recently thinking about selling my OM-D E-M5 and going for a Fuji, but then I realised they really aren't that small and with EF lenses already, it would be more expensive than merely going with a 6D, so I would agree with you. However, micro 4/3 is still quite a lot smaller with most of the lenses (besides telephoto). I think that while a 6D with a 35 prime for example is okay to carry, it's not very flexible and that's where it all goes downhill when you need to carry around 3 or 4 lenses or a superzoom that is large and compromises on quality quite a lot.

Agreed. I started with a Panasonic 4/3rds and it wasn't sharp and had dreadful colors (purple anyone?). Considered Olympus but went for the Fuji.

The Panasonic was a few years ago and I understood the potential of 4/3rds, just didn't seem there yet. Hope it's better now and if so is a viable alternative. I also shoot high ISO and didn't/don't see this as a strength of 4/3rds compared to APSC let alone FF.

The 35 on the 6D gains versatility IMHO due to 20mp and clean files meaning its cropable. I crop down to to 5mp which is 70mm equivalent and for lots of needs, 35-70 at f2 is fine, for me. Not gonna shoot sports with it, but there you go. If I can carry a second lens, the compact 85 1.8 gets the call, which can crop to 170 at f1.8, or just take a zoom if low light isn't an issue. If you needed wider, you could turn vertical with the 35 and stitch multiple shots in post. Digital gives us such flexibility we practically didn't have with film.

BTW, really enjoying the options everyone is presenting in this thread.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2013 19:12 as a reply to  @ post 16488224 |  #42

5D3
24-105
50L
flash
100-400 or a 70-300L would be my choice for reach
Tripod in the suitcase just in case:lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,271 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 29, 2013 19:31 |  #43

Next trip (Hawaii next year) will be 6D + Nifty Fifty + 70-200 f4 IS + monopod. I'll make it work.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

stang67
385 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 29, 2013 23:36 |  #44

Gobeatty wrote in post #16489148 (external link)
Agreed. I started with a Panasonic 4/3rds and it wasn't sharp and had dreadful colors (purple anyone?). Considered Olympus but went for the Fuji.

The Panasonic was a few years ago and I understood the potential of 4/3rds, just didn't seem there yet. Hope it's better now and if so is a viable alternative. I also shoot high ISO and didn't/don't see this as a strength of 4/3rds compared to APSC let alone FF.

Micro 4/3rds isn't really there just yet IMO (it may never) simply due to the fact it's difficult to get amazing IQ (read: IQ, not pictures) out of such a small sensor. However, an E-M5 with a 12-40 2.8 (which I HOPE to get for myself as a Christmas present) will be my ideal walk-around combo (and would be my travel setup). That combo is very sharp, has a great range, is 2.8, is weather-sealed and can do an effective 0.6x magnification. To get a significant step up in IQ and ISO performance, one really needs to go to FF (although the Sigma Merrill is amazing for IQ, but it is essentially useless in every other regard). However, the four thirds sensor is still great due to the large DOF at large apertures (so you can shoot in low lit environments but still have much larger room for error DOF/focus wise).

I just think it's too difficult to come up with a 'perfect' travel kit, as one is always compromising whether it be on size, weight, IQ, lens selection, ISO performance, cost etc. I definitely see the advantage of mirrorless for travel though.

Canon 6D - Canon 1D Mk III - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Σ 105mm f/2.8 | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | Σ 35mm f/1.4 | 17-40mm f/4L
flickr (external link)

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 30, 2013 07:43 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

My ideal travel kit would be an SX50IS. I just can't make myself plunk down $500 for a camera I'll take 50 photos a year with. My wife and I currently use an SX260HS for traveling. We don't travel often, once per year, maybe. When we do take a vacation, photos are not even on the list of priorities.

sponsored links

10,104 views & 0 likes for this thread
The perfect travel kit, does it exist?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.