Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5Diii fell off the lens

Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 05, 2013 07:24 |  #1

Hi, just had a bad experience. Walking in very windy weather, head down with my 5Diii & 70-200 2.8 II on a Black Rapid strap. Strap attached to the foot of the 70-200 when I heard a noise. Looked around and saw the body of the 5D on the ground.

I didn't expect this to happen with equipment designed to handle pro level use.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Does this mean that from now on I need to take a belt and braces approach?

The camera has suffered some scuff marks and a cracked screen protector but seems to be working (needs further testing to be sure).

:cry:

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/ (external link)

sponsored links
bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 05, 2013 07:26 |  #2

It's possible that you didn't have the lens (or camera) completely mounted and locked. I shoot primes, so I tend to change lenses a lot, and a couple times when I've gotten in a hurry I didn't full lock the lens in.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 05, 2013 07:30 |  #3

Ouch. Get this. Problem solved.

Black Rapid Tether Kit (external link)

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 05, 2013 07:45 |  #4

You're not going to like hearing this. Yes, sometimes it is possible to not get the lens completely locked in the mount. But I have recently had a couple of close calls, including one where my 5D3 did hit the floor of the car--short distance, rubber mat.

The culprit?
The strap attached to the tripod foot. Picking up, putting down or shifting the equipment around, it is possible for the strap to get next to the lens mount release button. When you put pressure on the strap and it presses against the button your lens is unlocked--then the camera will be ready to fall without you realizing it. I now have e mental note to check the lens every time I pick it up if I have the tripod foot strap on.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,418 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 05, 2013 08:29 |  #5

the 2 most likely scenarios for this to happen...

1) locking mechanism on lensmount is defective
2) User error, didn't properly lock body to lens
3) Your movements allowed for lens release button to be pressed and lens twisted

No one likes to read this, but #2 is most likely
#3 is very least likely
and #1 somewhere in between...

5D4 / Want a 1D X
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 05, 2013 08:47 |  #6

SMP_Homer wrote in post #16503341 (external link)
the 2 most likely scenarios for this to happen...

1) locking mechanism on lensmount is defective
2) User error, didn't properly lock body to lens
3) Your movements allowed for lens release button to be pressed and lens twisted

No one likes to read this, but #2 is most likely
#3 is very least likely
and #1 somewhere in between...

Lens foot straps can most definitely get pressed against the release button. I duplicated the problem by testing after it happened twice unintentionally. The strap in question was attached to the strap pin under a Sigma 50-500 tripod foot, but the same circumstances are possible with an R-strap attached to the 70-200mm foot.

agl99
156 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 05, 2013 08:57 as a reply to  @ advaitin's post |  #7

I sometimes wonder about that possibility... I find it way too easy to push in the unlock button. If you look at the little locking pin it is about 1 mm holding everything and I saw a scam on youtube once where someone bumps into you and before you know it, you only have a body hanging around your neck... would be helpful to have a safety lock on the release button.

Lastblackdog
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 05, 2013 08:58 |  #8

Good points all.

SMP, I agree with you assessment - although I would suspect no 2 or no 3. It is possible that getting out of the car in very strong winds I pressed the lens release button somehow.

Bacchanal, I haven't changed lenses in a couple of days as I use this lens about 90% of the time but I agree, a possibility none the less.

Lehmanncpa, I have to admit to feeling that some forum contributors worry too much with the lengths they go to to double protect their gear - not any more. I have checked the link you shared and I can get one on Amazon UK for about £25.00 ($40.00). Small investment for such precious cargo.

Thank you all

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/ (external link)

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 05, 2013 09:02 |  #9

As you can see, an unfortunate combination of fastek buckle in the very worst possible place, but we do not know how the OP's R-strap is set up.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 05, 2013 09:18 |  #10

Wow, I never heard of this happening before. OP, glad your MK3 is still functional even if it has new battle scars.

Crazy stuff happens I guess.

Jim
Gear List

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 05, 2013 09:35 |  #11

Lastblackdog wrote in post #16503421 (external link)
Lehmanncpa, I have to admit to feeling that some forum contributors worry too much with the lengths they go to to double protect their gear - not any more. I have checked the link you shared and I can get one on Amazon UK for about £25.00 ($40.00). Small investment for such precious cargo.

There are less expensive and DIY solutions as well. I've seen folks use 550 paracord and some buckles from a hardware store. The point is to always keep the camera tethered to the strap somehow. I just don't trust those single-point harnesses.

Sorry this had to happen to you, but hopefully you've helped convince others of the importance of keeping your equipment secure. Cheers.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 05, 2013 09:35 |  #12

I have once or twice accidentally activated the lens release button, while carrying the gear. But I have been lucky enough to notice it without any bad outcome.

It really doesn't hurt to always have multiple ways to secure expensive equipment.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,874 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 05, 2013 09:45 |  #13

advaitin wrote in post #16503430 (external link)
As you can see, an unfortunate combination of fastek buckle in the very worst possible place, but we do not know how the OP's R-strap is set up.

That's scary!:shock:

I never even thought of something like this happening. Thanks for the heads up.

Mark

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,249 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 05, 2013 10:17 |  #14

Ouch!

I have heard of this happening on rare occasion, just exactly as advaitin described... The strap or a buckle on the strap presses the lens release, at the same time torque from the single point mount on the bottom of the lens causes it to rotate enough to release the camera.

Second most likely would be user error, I suspect... Because I've seen that a few times, too... though usually it's obvious when you go to use the camera and can't set the lens aperture.

The least likely is a fault or failure of the latch mechanism itself, IMO... Just based upon many years using Canon cameras with much larger and heavier lenses than a 70-200 and never having any problem with the lens latching mechanism or the strength of the mount.

If carrying it with a single point strap like this, it might be safere to rotate the tripod mount to the top of the lens. Or to attach the strap at the camera's tripod mounting socket, instead.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

kipliq
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 05, 2013 11:10 |  #15

OMG IS SHE/HE OKAY??? That is what is important now. Seems to be a common problem when we are in a rush that they made a extra part. I have the Secure-Its from op-tech. Works great! Once it molds to the strap comes off easy when you want to remove it.

http://www.amazon.com …-Connectors/dp/B004N623​XY (external link)

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line." - Ric Flair

sponsored links

3,348 views & 0 likes for this thread
5Diii fell off the lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.