Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 07 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 00:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

wedding albums

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,357 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2013 10:04 as a reply to  @ post 16512939 |  #16

Pete

Appreciate your thought process. Tim you sound like you have been busy and are getting a little burnt. Easy to do with weddings.

One of my photo friends has set his price structure as a more ala carte set up. The example would be ( not his prices )

A- initial costs of for the wedding coverage package is $2500.00
B- Albums start at $ 475.00 for Base 10 page 20 side
C- upgrade Album B is $ 675.00
D- Upgrade Album c is $ 875.00 ect ect ect

then he has other products like framed prints, gallery wraps that can be added or purchased

this business model kinda of makes sense as it lets everyone fish in your market if they can afford your initial base package.
My Saturday packages include an album for 2014 but as i relocate and expand the business i may change things for 2015 as well.........thanks pete for your input

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 09, 2013 20:49 |  #17

A little, yeah. $475 for a professional quality professionally design album is cheap, mine start at NZ$2000, which is around US$1650.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 09, 2013 23:17 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #18

Its Pictobooks for us. The cost difference between perceived quality isn't there for us in regard to Queensbury albums.

Anytime a bride holds one our albums, they buy one. If we don't get a chance for a sit down meeting, it sells probably 25% of the time. If you don't have studio albums, you need to get one.... if its something you want to build and offer.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 10, 2013 02:01 |  #19

Trent Gillespie wrote in post #16515306 (external link)
Its Pictobooks for us. The cost difference between perceived quality isn't there for us in regard to Queensbury albums.

Anytime a bride holds one our albums, they buy one. If we don't get a chance for a sit down meeting, it sells probably 25% of the time. If you don't have studio albums, you need to get one.... if its something you want to build and offer.

What do you charge for albums?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 10, 2013 12:11 |  #20

tim wrote in post #16515510 (external link)
What do you charge for albums?

$600 for a standard 12x12 album with 16 pages... and $1100 for a signature series or a bijou with different aspect ratio & cover.

Trent Gillespie

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 10, 2013 12:25 |  #21

Trent Gillespie wrote in post #16516449 (external link)
$600 for a standard 12x12 album with 16 pages... and $1100 for a signature series or a bijou with different aspect ratio & cover.

Is the higher-priced album more of an investment of your time and effort? Or are they about the same?

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 10, 2013 12:27 |  #22

nathancarter wrote in post #16516474 (external link)
Is the higher-priced album more of an investment of your time and effort? Or are they about the same?

They are about the same time investment. We might add a little extra flair, but we generally are pretty clean cut on our spreads. We try not to show customers the $600 album as the profit margin isn't as high.

Trent Gillespie

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 10, 2013 22:41 |  #23

That's VERY cheap for a professionally designed and made album. Read this (external link), and this (external link).

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 11, 2013 07:19 |  #24

I agree with Tim. While Zookbinders is higher end than an average album, it's safely below something like Queensbury. Indeed, I myself am middle market and attract couples who want quality but are very budget sensitive. Yet my ZookBooks (Zookbinder's better album) typically end up going for $1,000 - $2,000 depending on page count and other options. Of course, that includes design services.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 11, 2013 07:32 |  #25

One thing I would say regarding quality of albums... unlike many years ago where there was normally one chance of an album and if something happened to it you were stuffed these days with people getting the edited images on disc they could easily get a new or alternative album made up as time goes on. Furthermore it is getting easier and easier for them to do that themselves.

Dropping 2k on an album used to effectively be the only option to longevity. These days it isn't.

Peter

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,357 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2013 10:22 |  #26

Trent Gillespie wrote in post #16516449 (external link)

As long as you have enough covered on the front side then that might be a great way to get your clients to step up and add to your bottom line. I use the same album company and we are higher than that. My prices are on the website to your welcome to take a look.WE use the 10x10's as a base and let them upgrade to the 12x12's for $200.00 additional. They almost always want the 10x10.

I cant get anyone in my area to step up to a Signature. Frustrating. The vision arts are nice, you might want to look at those as well. For me its all about getting the girls options and reasons to book with us. Product line up is a big one for us.

I tend to agree with Tim. You need to factor time invested in that album design and a profit margin for the book so based on what we do, $600.oo seems pretty inexpensive, again, unless its factored on the front side of the package.

Pete- you are right again my friend. You just wait and see what is going to happen. Our professional labs will be selling to the public very soon......White house is already doing it.....i refuse to use WHCC for anything because they are selling to the public at our price points.......they have started the ball rolling down a very slippery slope for wedding photographers

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 11, 2013 11:46 |  #27

umphotography wrote in post #16518799 (external link)
As long as you have enough covered on the front side then that might be a great way to get your clients to step up and add to your bottom line. I use the same album company and we are higher than that. My prices are on the website to your welcome to take a look.WE use the 10x10's as a base and let them upgrade to the 12x12's for $200.00 additional. They almost always want the 10x10.

I cant get anyone in my area to step up to a Signature. Frustrating. The vision arts are nice, you might want to look at those as well. For me its all about getting the girls options and reasons to book with us. Product line up is a big one for us.

I tend to agree with Tim. You need to factor time invested in that album design and a profit margin for the book so based on what we do, $600.oo seems pretty inexpensive, again, unless its factored on the front side of the package.

Pete- you are right again my friend. You just wait and see what is going to happen. Our professional labs will be selling to the public very soon......White house is already doing it.....i refuse to use WHCC for anything because they are selling to the public at our price points.......they have started the ball rolling down a very slippery slope for wedding photographers

On our $600 album, we usually take home half of that, which covers a day of work... which is more than enough time for layout, proofing, and delivery. However, our approach is that we charge every bride a little more, so we can deliver albums for less... which effectively gives more brides the option to buy an album and become more satisfied with the overall experience with our studio.

Basically, our goal is to build worth in our brand, images and experience, instead of this $2,000 album they feel they over paid for.

Trent Gillespie

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 11, 2013 16:26 |  #28

Trent Gillespie wrote in post #16519023 (external link)
Basically, our goal is to build worth in our brand, images and experience, instead of this $2,000 album they feel they over paid for.

This is exactly my thoughts too. My options are currently a 40 page at $800 and 80 page at $1200.

umphotography wrote in post #16518799 (external link)
they have started the ball rolling down a very slippery slope for wedding photographers

More a change in the Industry. For years an old school approach has been to up sell the albums with high pressure emotionally driven sales. This is certainly what most workshops over here still preach. The problem photographers are finding though that this model is starting to fall apart. What is more it is sending many studios into panic mode as their business models can't afford the drop off. Album printing companies aren't exclusive the way they used to be. Think about what happened with prints over the last 5 years or so.

I personally don't feel that it is a downward slope as we are moving towards the place where the content (style), experience and service is king. There are no hiding places for photographers any more. The wedding photography industry is having all the fluff removed that people had no choice other than to pay a premium for in the past.

In summary the prime factors for success are style, experience and service... the true holy trinity for any wedding photographer... and the three things no one can fake.

Peter

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,357 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2013 18:50 |  #29

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16519796 (external link)
This is exactly my thoughts too. My options are currently a 40 page at $800 and 80 page at $1200.

More a change in the Industry. For years an old school approach has been to up sell the albums with high pressure emotionally driven sales. This is certainly what most workshops over here still preach. The problem photographers are finding though that this model is starting to fall apart. What is more it is sending many studios into panic mode as their business models can't afford the drop off. Album printing companies aren't exclusive the way they used to be. Think about what happened with prints over the last 5 years or so.

I personally don't feel that it is a downward slope as we are moving towards the place where the content (style), experience and service is king. There are no hiding places for photographers any more. The wedding photography industry is having all the fluff removed that people had no choice other than to pay a premium for in the past.

In summary the prime factors for success are style, experience and service... the true holy trinity for any wedding photographer... and the three things no one can fake.

I actually agree with you. But I would like to pad that bottom line a bit with a nice profit line on the product side. If it continues this way, its going to be exactly what you indicate and people are going to pay for someone who does just what you say, style, experience and service....its gonna cost this much $$$$$$. now go buy your own dam albums and prints:eek:......I can see that happening.

PPA and WPPI are probably getting ready to crap in their pants :-)... because everything the harped on for the past 6-7 yrs will fall apart.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 12, 2013 13:54 |  #30

Coming from someone who's trying to "break into the industry" I found this thread fantastic. It was great to read about the experience you guys have.

For what it's worth, I have different levels of packages for my clients from Millers Lab. Starting with a base shoot & burn and working up from there to a Signature level bridal album, two parent albums and a few enlargements.

I've never sold anything in between the 4 packages. Only the shoot & burn and my top tier. I'm considering going a la carte in 2014 though, with a base price for wedding coverage and then products separately. Unfortunately, I only have one wedding booked for 2014 so far.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

sponsored links

5,838 views & 0 likes for this thread
wedding albums
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.