Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your most artistic lens?

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 11, 2013 09:45 |  #121

If I find a Helios 40-2 85, how do I make it compatible with my 5D ii and iii?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 11, 2013 09:56 |  #122

Nathan wrote in post #16518696 (external link)
If I find a Helios 40-2 85, how do I make it compatible with my 5D ii and iii?

you use the following in google

"____ to EOS adapter"

fill in the blank with the mount the lens is.

GuitarDTO
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 11, 2013 09:56 |  #123

sigma 35 no question.

Gear: 5D3, 135L, Sigma 35, 50 1.8 STM, 16-35 F/4L IS, 85/1.8, Fujifilm X100T
Flickr: DavioTheOne (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 11, 2013 10:08 |  #124

Jerobean wrote in post #16518723 (external link)
you use the following in google

"____ to EOS adapter"

fill in the blank with the mount the lens is.

Thanks... didn't know if it was worth/possible sending it somewhere to have the mount converted

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 11, 2013 10:14 |  #125

twoshadows wrote in post #16518412 (external link)
... I see that different lenses have different characteristics, but they create art? Nooo, my friend. We create art. A lens has no more to do with art than a camera, flash, etc. They're tools.

Seriously, this is a question related to GAS. Nothing more. And as I said, that's ok, let's just call it what it is...

Yes they're tools, but with some tools one can probably create art (self defined) with others not.
I would have a big problem to create a huge part of my better images (may be defined as a kind of art) without a tool like the Meyer Trioplan 100 lens.

For images like this:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Porträt/slides/Blaue-Augen.jpg
I took as far as I remember the Nikon Nikkor 180mm/2.8 AI-S. But it would be no problem to make the same image with a Canon EF 70-200/2.8, or a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 or such a zoom from Sigma, Sony or Tamron. Or a prime lens with same f-stop and ~focal length.

But for this image
IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Struktur.jpg
I took the old Meyer Trioplan 100 lens, a Diaplan 100 or Pentacon AV 100 would give the same. A Nikon DC 105/2.0 probably nearly the same. No other lens out of current production (Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron, Canon, Nikon, Pentax) will get the same image!
So it is a tool - but you need the right tool, not a Swiss army knife zoom lens.

twoshadows wrote in post #16518412 (external link)
No offense to anyone, but I don't see how a lens' rendering can "make" a photo artistic.

The rendering itself makes a photo not artistic - but the photographer who know which rendering he use for which object and intent.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 11, 2013 10:42 |  #126

ZoneV wrote in post #16518775 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
I took the old Meyer Trioplan 100 lens, a Diaplan 100 or Pentacon AV 100 would give the same. A Nikon DC 105/2.0 probably nearly the same. No other lens out of current production (Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron, Canon, Nikon, Pentax) will get the same image!
So it is a tool - but you need the right tool, not a Swiss army knife zoom lens.

The rendering itself makes a photo not artistic - but the photographer who know which rendering he use for which object and intent.

you can show all these "it's the photographer not the lens" people an image like this and they will still deny that a lens can make a photo more "artistic"

because obviously an image that not a single canon lens could reproduce is not unique. :rolleyes:

sjones
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 11, 2013 11:24 as a reply to  @ Jerobean's post |  #127

1. The OP was ambiguous enough to require clarification.

2. The ambiguous use of "art" or "artistic" is reasonably going to draw discussion; how the tone of that discussion proceeds is another matter.

3. There are people (maybe just a few) on this site who associate art/artistic with only the surrealistic, dreamy, etc.. It is important to disabuse these people of this interpretation, because it is wrong to assume that realistic renderings cannot be art.

4. Yes, the lens, camera, or other devices that 'capture' light and create images are important to creating photographic art, as without such devices, a photograph of any quality or pretense could not be made. Yes, the characteristics of a camera or lens can serve as an artistic element; helping the photographer express his or hers vision.

I think the argument, though, is against any notion that simply pointing an "artistic" lens at any given object or scene will automatically create an artistic photo, let alone straight out art. If anyone is actually claiming that there is such a magical lens, I don't know, I don't really care, but I think this is where some of the confusion lies...I could be wrong.

Much of this is similar to post processing, which can undoubtedly be vital in the process of achieving the photographer's ultimate aesthetic goals. But various factors must be involved, and in the end, it is from the creativity and vision of the photographer that will determine the overall artistic merit of a photograph.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Manual Focus; only for street photography amateurs...
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

ruhell
22 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 11, 2013 14:39 |  #128

I'm just amazed, some of You guys...
No wonder there are wars being fought around the globe when some of You manages to get so "rude" over a fairly simple question.

Of course, at least most likely, there has to be someone behind the camera with some kind of idea (artistic or not) of what the finished picture is hopefully going to look like. That idea might be difficult to obtain if the lens doesn't have some specific faults/features/render​ings or whatever - so You might need an "artistic" lens or whatever You feel like calling it to make that photo.
Also a lens might give You some ideas as You go along, some more than others. That happens quite a lot to me.

Also, I'm not native US/English as You can see, so I might have cocked up my understanding of the OP's question, but I don't think so. Also, I'm not trying to misunderstand or to be difficult just for arguing sake like a few here

Finally - Peace guys :)

http://rune.zenfolio.c​om/ (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 11, 2013 15:17 |  #129

The OP wants to be more creative. I don't think that buying a new lens or a bunch of new lenses is going to magically do it for them. And so I'm going to push back against responses that seem to make that implication. Most of us are in agreement that it is the user of the lens, not the lens that is responsible for creating. Those pushing back are generally intending to make that the emphasis of the response.

ruhell wrote in post #16519483 (external link)
No wonder there are wars being fought around the globe when some of You manages to get so "rude" over a fairly simple question.

Of course, at least most likely, there has to be someone behind the camera with some kind of idea (artistic or not) of what the finished picture is hopefully going to look like. That idea might be difficult to obtain if the lens doesn't have some specific faults/features/render​ings or whatever - so You might need an "artistic" lens or whatever You feel like calling it to make that photo.
Also a lens might give You some ideas as You go along, some more than others. That happens quite a lot to me.

Also, I'm not native US/English as You can see, so I might have cocked up my understanding of the OP's question, but I don't think so. Also, I'm not trying to misunderstand or to be difficult just for arguing sake like a few here

Finally - Peace guys :)

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

GuitarDTO
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 11, 2013 15:48 |  #130

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16519601 (external link)
The OP wants to be more creative. I don't think that buying a new lens or a bunch of new lenses is going to magically do it for them. And so I'm going to push back against responses that seem to make that implication. Most of us are in agreement that it is the user of the lens, not the lens that is responsible for creating. Those pushing back are generally intending to make that the emphasis of the response.

I personally think the Sigma 35mm did open a creative door for me. Yes it's the user that creates, but the equipment is a tool that can certainly contribute to the creative process. A 35mm lens for me did the trick whereas I constantly struggled with 50mm and other focal lengths. I see pictures in 35mm now that I never could without that lens.

Gear: 5D3, 135L, Sigma 35, 50 1.8 STM, 16-35 F/4L IS, 85/1.8, Fujifilm X100T
Flickr: DavioTheOne (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 11, 2013 16:03 |  #131

ruhell wrote in post #16519483 (external link)

Yes. Let's equate monstrosities of war with discussion about what art is not. It's totally the same thing.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,687 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 11, 2013 16:52 |  #132

ZoneV wrote in post #16518775 (external link)
Yes they're tools, but with some tools one can probably create art (self defined) with others not.
I would have a big problem to create a huge part of my better images (may be defined as a kind of art) without a tool like the Meyer Trioplan 100 lens.

For images like this:
QUOTED IMAGE
I took as far as I remember the Nikon Nikkor 180mm/2.8 AI-S. But it would be no problem to make the same image with a Canon EF 70-200/2.8, or a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 or such a zoom from Sigma, Sony or Tamron. Or a prime lens with same f-stop and ~focal length.

But for this image
QUOTED IMAGE

Hi ZoneV,

I think we agree on a lot. :)

Still, I have a "Swiss army knife zoom lens" that does some pretty awesome work. It can do pseudo macro (I forget how close one can get, but it's close enough to frame a subject's eyes on a FF body), it gives pleasing bokeh (105m @ f/4.5 is nearly perfect w/regard to DoF vs background blur for what I shoot), it does wide angle, has fast AF, has a 4x range and most of all, it allows me to work seemlessly - no stopping the action to change lenses. I find cost vs quality/versatility inspiring. :) But I don't find the lens inspires the artist in me. It does, however, allow me to do my job easier.

Oh yeah, I like that first pic of yours, though I do have to admit that I'm tired of this whole bokeh craze (Your pic is an exception to this.). As if the idea of blurring the snot out of the bg makes a pic magically better. :rolleyes:

And lest I forget, I was guilty of GAS and shooting wide open all the time at one point too. ;) (Again, not singling anyone out, just putting this out there.)

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey - please refer to me as she/her/Miss
Nikkor 28/2, 35/2.8-PC, 55/1.2 | Vivitar 55/2.8 macro | Voigtländer 50/2.8 | Olympus 75-150/4 | Tamron SP 28-80, SP 60-300, SP 300/5.6 | Pentax SMC Takumar 135/2.5, 200/4 | Canon 24mm TS-E II | Lensbaby Composer Pro II w/Sweet35mm & Edge50mm | Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50/1.8 | Canon 5DIIx2, 5D, 20Dx2 | Sigma 12-24 | Canon 28-105 II, 85/1.8 | Yongnuo 50/1.8

Arutemu
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 12, 2013 14:12 |  #133

Nathan wrote in post #16518760 (external link)
Thanks... didn't know if it was worth/possible sending it somewhere to have the mount converted

It is possible, but probably not worth it. The easiest thing would be to buy the lens in the M42 mount (screw mount) and then buy an adapter for it (M42 to EOS). They are cheap, so you do not need to blow a fortune. I got mine here and am quite happy with them: http://www.ebay.com …_trksid=p3984.m​1438.l2649 (external link)

Since Helios is a fully manual lens, you are not losing anything (diaphragm and sharpness control) when using an adapter.

You don't need to "find" a Helios 85mm, they are sold in the US, albeit not exactly cheaply:

http://www.ebay.com …enses&hash=item​2c7218e300 (external link)

住めば/external linkFlickrexternal link
GEAR / FEEDBACK

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 12, 2013 14:50 |  #134

that's teh main problem now, everyone is looking for a good deal on these old lenses, and they are pretty rare now because of it.

honestly, you are probably better off just buying a rokinon lens of the same focal length. unless you have to have the unique bokeh, rokinons will perform equal or better than most old lenses that aren't at least twice the price.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 12, 2013 14:52 |  #135

Jerobean wrote in post #16522335 (external link)
that's teh main problem now, everyone is looking for a good deal on these old lenses, and they are pretty rare now because of it.

honestly, you are probably better off just buying a rokinon lens of the same focal length. unless you have to have the unique bokeh, rokinons will perform equal or better than most old lenses that aren't at least twice the price.

I think that helios is new. KMZ started making some of the lenses again afaik.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links

15,797 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is your most artistic lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.