Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sRGB vs Adobe 98 color scheme having issues

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 08, 2013 17:32 |  #1

So I noticed my camera (60d) is set to srgb but my Lightroom scheme is Adobe 98 I've been using this set up presumebly for the last 6 months. Although my edits come out fine and prints look good how is this set up hurting me? Should I choose the same setting for both and if so which?

Thanks!

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 08, 2013 18:55 |  #2

Well if you are shooting RAW then it's not a problem. RAW files do not have a colour space, as they are not colour images. Internally LR uses the Melissa Colour space for it's processing, this is a variant of ProPhotoRGB. For the majority of uses the final output from LR really should be sRGB, unless you know why it should be different. The output colour space is set in the Export dialogue box along with all the other options such as image sise and filename.

Depending on how you do your workflow there is one occasion where you might want to set a colour space other than sRGB. If you send files to Photoshop for editing, and then bring the .PSD/.TIFF file back to LR for final processing and output, and you are keeping it as a 16 bit file, then you may want to use the ProPhotoRGB colour space in the Edit in Photoshop options (this is actually the default setting). This saves your images from repetedly having the colour space converted.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 08, 2013 19:13 |  #3

digitalduck wrote in post #16511769 (external link)
So I noticed my camera (60d) is set to srgb but my Lightroom scheme is Adobe 98 I've been using this set up presumebly for the last 6 months. Although my edits come out fine and prints look good how is this set up hurting me? Should I choose the same setting for both and if so which?

Thanks!

Can you explain a bit more please. Are you shooting and editing Raws or jpgs? Because if you are working with Raws, the camera setting is irrelevant, it refers only to jpgs. Raws have no color and therefore no color space. It is only when you export an RGB color file from LR that you can designate into which space it will be written. Is this what you mean by "my Lightroom scheme," the color space selected in the Export dialog?

Or are you shooting sRGB jpgs? If so, converting them to Adobe RGB when exporting an edited version won't do any real harm to the image, because sRGB has a smaller gamut than Adobe RGB, so the smaller one fits inside the larger without any loss and will be exactly the same as long as it is viewed in a color managed environment. However, if you are sending photos to a commercial print lab, most of them do not use color managed systems and simply assume that everything they receive is sRGB, so that is what you should send them.

Elie / אלי

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 08, 2013 19:39 |  #4

Ahh thanks Bigal007 and Tzalman!,
Yeah ive been shooting in RAW since the beginning so that's why the prints look fine when i get them because i started correctly from the beginning, wasnt aware of that..thanks for the info!!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 09, 2013 00:25 |  #5

If you read your Canon literature, they advise the aRGB color space only for printing, that is printing to a printer that can "handle" the aRGB space.

And, as has been pointed out, if you are shooting Raw your Raw processor handles the color space!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2013 04:38 |  #6

Elie I would have to disagree with you on the affect of changing from a smaller colour space to a larger one and back again, as in from sRGB to AdobeRGB. Both colour spaces have the same number of shades of colour,which depends on the bit depth, either 256 per channel for 8 bit images or just over 65000 for a 16 bit one. The colour space profile is used so that the computer hardware (monitor or printer mostly) can go from the three colour numbers to the same exact shade of colour, independant of the device being used. Doing this and having lots of possible colours means that those colours are further apart. So sRGB being relativly a small colour space the colours are packed closer together. If we have an image with lots of smooth gradients that all fall inside the colour space this is good. Now we convert the image to AdobeRGB, this is a bigger colour space, so each number has to represent colours that are further apart. So now we have to loose those extra inbetween values that the smaller sRGB space allowed us. Now the image only had values that were within the size of the original space, and it can only hold information on the range of colours in the original space anyway. So when we convert back to the smaller space we won't loose any of the colours in the new space (assuming we haven't added any extra colours during processing). But now we only have the "further apart" colours left in the image. So now we actually have less total number of different colours as all of the original inbetween colours got converted to the nearest avilable colour in the larger space. If you are doing this with 16 bit colours then you might not notice the difference, and the conversion to 8 bit will have a much much bigger effect. Doing it with 8 bit's though may get you a noticeable, rather than measurable, effect.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 09, 2013 09:49 |  #7

Alan,
I didn't think the OP was doing a double conversion, sRGB to Adobe RGB to sRGB. From what he wrote there existed the possibility that he was importing sRGB jpgs and then exporting them as Adobe RGB ("my Lightroom scheme is Adobe 98"). When I wrote that there is no loss I meant that there is no danger of incurring the gamut clipping that might happen when going from a bigger space to a smaller one, but you are right that the sRGB data is compressed in order to leave room for the unpopulated areas of the Adobe RGB gamut (mostly greens), although it is also possible that the editing created colors that would have been OOG for sRGB, but are not for Adobe RGB.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links

796 views & 0 likes for this thread
sRGB vs Adobe 98 color scheme having issues
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.