Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How much do you use Lightroom compared to Photoshop?"
I use Lightroom 100% of the time for my images
18.9%
I use Lightroom 99% of the time, and only open photoshop to do specialty images
50.9%
I use Lightroom 95% of the time but still photoshop most of my final images
12.4%
I use Lightroom as an organizer, but use photoshop heavily
3.6%
I use photoshop for greater than 95% of my editing and do not really use Lightroom
11.2%
I use other software for my editing
3%

169 voters, 169 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone use Lightroom and not photoshop?

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 11, 2013 20:21 |  #16

One aspect of this that I think you may have overlooked is the number of Lightroom (and Photoshop) users who also employ plugins such as those from Nik, onOne and Topaz. I use Lightroom 99.9% of the time, but I also use some of the plugins such as Viveza, Color Efex Pro and Silver Efex Pro for additional processing. onOne has just issued the latest version of their Perfect Photo Suite that brings to Lightroom the ability to use layers to process images and then return to Lightroom without the necessity of employing Photoshop for layering. Their set of applications also comes in a stand-alone mode. There are a few areas where they do not have capabilities similar to those in PS, such as putting text onto images, but I am sure that this will come. If I was Adobe, and I am not, I would be paying very close attention to the onOne software and they probably are.

WesternGuy

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 11, 2013 20:30 |  #17

David Arbogast wrote in post #16520260 (external link)
The poll does not have an appropriate answer for me.

I use LR 100% of the time to make first pass edits at the raw conversion stage, and about 90% of the time I shoot it through PS for final polishing.

I spend about 95% of my editing time in PS, but everything gets touched in some way in LR first.

This. I import in Lr, do basic adjustments as well as some dodging and burning and NR before going to Ps.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 11, 2013 23:49 |  #18

I use LR 100% of the time to make first pass edits at the raw conversion stage, and about 90% of the time I shoot it through PS for final polishing.

I spend about 95% of my editing time in PS, but everything gets touched in some way in LR first.

I think the 4th answer is the one you are looking for: "I use Lightroom as an organizer, but use photoshop heavily".

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 12, 2013 03:53 |  #19

I chose 95% LR and 5% PS. But PS is slowly getting replaced by other stuff - like Perfect Photo Suite.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Markk9
284 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 12, 2013 04:48 |  #20

I like LR4 over PS for photo processing, unless I'm doing major adjustments and layers work, I keep it all in LR4.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Lon​g Live the Eagle.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,387 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 12, 2013 06:59 |  #21

professorman wrote in post #16520782 (external link)
I think the 4th answer is the one you are looking for: "I use Lightroom as an organizer, but use photoshop heavily".

I do indeed rely on LR as an organizer, but also for initial image editing...so that one didn't seem to fit. But, for the purposes of your poll, I'll go ahead and use it, even if it's not worded to match my workflow.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 12, 2013 07:17 |  #22

Exactly the same for me.

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 12, 2013 09:40 |  #23

I've been 100% LR because I don't own PS but there have certainly been times that I wished I had PS to do some editing or cloning that LR can't do.

I signed up for Adobe's $9.99 CC deal they were running and am in the process of learning how to do some basic stuff in PS that I can't do in LR.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 12, 2013 09:44 |  #24

CincyTriGuy wrote in post #16521574 (external link)
I've been 100% LR because I don't own PS but there have certainly been times that I wished I had PS to do some editing or cloning that LR can't do.

I signed up for Adobe's $9.99 CC deal they were running and am in the process of learning how to do some basic stuff in PS that I can't do in LR.

If you are only a seldom/rare user, you could try GIMP. I installed GIMP on my work desktop, and it is surprisingly similar to photoshop. You can do some really advanced editing with it. The smartness of selection and cloning in PS is amazing though. I have no patience for doing all of that work on one image though. If you do a lot of model photography, and spend hours on one image, then you will use PS heavily. I am an 'events/people capturer' so, I want a small/decent amount of images with great quality, instead of one image with amazing quality.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

KLR-VA0501
159 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 12, 2013 10:31 |  #25

I use Lightroom as my primary developing software. Photoshop is used to stitch panos and to move, replace, remove people.

Ken
Canon EOS R | EF 16-35 f/4L | RF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-200 f/4L II

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 12, 2013 14:25 |  #26

Hmm, let's see, I said "99% Lightroom" 'cause that's the closest I can come up with.

I don't have Lightroom plug-ins so they don't count, and I aim to frame and shoot so that I don't need to rely on PS cloning and such...

A quick glance, the past couple of years have been slow for me, but I see I took about 7,000 shots over the two years. If I recall, I did resort to Photoshop for some cloning on a couple shots, I did one "focus stacking" project using five shots, and I dunno, I maybe did an HDR project using three shots. The rest were just processed using Lightroom, so more than "99% Lightroom", but a bit less than "100% Lightroom"!:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

lance60031x
ISO composure
264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 12, 2013 14:41 |  #27

WesternGuy wrote in post #16520320 (external link)
One aspect of this that I think you may have overlooked is the number of Lightroom (and Photoshop) users who also employ plugins such as those from Nik, onOne and Topaz. I use Lightroom 99.9% of the time, but I also use some of the plugins such as Viveza, Color Efex Pro and Silver Efex Pro for additional processing. onOne has just issued the latest version of their Perfect Photo Suite that brings to Lightroom the ability to use layers to process images and then return to Lightroom without the necessity of employing Photoshop for layering. Their set of applications also comes in a stand-alone mode. There are a few areas where they do not have capabilities similar to those in PS, such as putting text onto images, but I am sure that this will come. If I was Adobe, and I am not, I would be paying very close attention to the onOne software and they probably are.

WesternGuy

Ditto - Perfect Photo Suite 8 is very attractive as a stand alone or as plug-in for LR.

7d mii, 5d miii, 70-200 f2.8 ii, 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 24-105 f4, 100 macro L, 300 f4 canon 50 1.4, canon 85 1.8, siggy 35 f1.4 siggy 50 1.4 A

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 12, 2013 15:27 |  #28

kjonnnn wrote in post #16522395 (external link)
How can you use something Greater than 100%?

That was a mistake in the wording and the forum doesnt allow you to edit polls.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 12, 2013 23:20 |  #29

professorman wrote in post #16522418 (external link)
That was a mistake in the wording and the forum doesnt allow you to edit polls.

Then you should hit the "Report" button and ask a moderator to severely reprimand you for mis-using words!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,848 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 12, 2013 23:35 |  #30

kjonnnn wrote in post #16522395 (external link)
How can you use something Greater than 100%?

Edit. Get a critique. Re-edit? ; )

tonylong wrote in post #16523419 (external link)
Then you should hit the "Report" button and ask a moderator to severely reprimand you for mis-using words!!

Fixed.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

5,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone use Lightroom and not photoshop?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.