Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 20:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you bought a lens on ebay

FlyFishingTN
297 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 12, 2013 20:30 |  #1

for $4200 and it said "New, never used" and you got it and found out it was a UN date code 1999? (I missed three sales waiting for questions to be answered so I jumped on this one....)

It's in pristine condition and there are no scratches on it anywhere but,,, IMO you really shouldn't try to pass it off as "new" when in reality it's 15 years old. I like the lens and I'm not sure it's a big deal I just feel like I paid a little more to get a new lens and ended up with an old one.
How should I handle this??

sponsored links
eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 12, 2013 20:44 |  #2

Is it new old stock?

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 12, 2013 20:55 |  #3

Sounds like a perfect candidate for an "Item not as described" case to be opened. eBay does not like sellers representing 14 year old items as new. You would certainly be able to get a chunk of money back. What's the average sales price for a used lens?

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 12, 2013 21:19 |  #4

Manufacture date is irrelevant to new, never used.

Did it actually looked new or did it looked used? That's really all that matters per the listing.

If you spent $4,200 on a lens that was built in 1999, I'm guessing it's a 300 f2.8 IS. Unlike some other lenses I'm pretty sure there wasn't any manufacturing updates on that lens so there's no difference between once built earlier on. Mine was also built in 99, it doesn't bother me one bit since it both looks and works great.

FlyFishingTN
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 12, 2013 21:43 |  #5

Yea it's a 300 2.8 IS and it is in new condition. I'm not really upset about it since it is in great condition. However, I was trying to get a newer lens because it does affect resale value. The add was very misleading. When I asked about the age (after the sale) he told me he thought it was a 2007. Anybody that owns a lens of that caliber likely knows about the date code. I don't feel screwed, just a little mislead. I paid more thinking it was a newer model lens.

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 13, 2013 01:30 |  #6

Same thing happened to me.

My lens was at least 3 years older, they even uploaded a fake date code.

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 13, 2013 04:16 |  #7

Dates are something that doesn't bother me a bit. I bought a used 135L from B&H Photo a little over a year ago. It was graded to be in 90% condition or something like that. What I received was a lens that had a UU date code but looked as though it had never left the box. Not one imperfection on either the glass or body. Even the hood, which btw often has scuff marks was in pristine condition. I felt like for $700 I got the deal of a lifetime on such a lens.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 13, 2013 05:37 |  #8

They should have labeled it as new old stock.

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

Trumper
961 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 13, 2013 05:44 |  #9

Is it new as in age ,or is it new as in not used before?

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 13, 2013 06:41 |  #10

Trumper wrote in post #16523803 (external link)
Is it new as in age ,or is it new as in not used before?

the OP clearly states it's in new condition, just 14 years old.

nightcat
Goldmember
4,526 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 13, 2013 07:12 |  #11

What is the reason someone would want a new never used lens? The reason is, a new never used lens would be in pristine condition and there are no scratches on it anywhere. And that's what you received. I would try the lens and if the photos are great, I would keep the lens and be happy that you received a great copy. If you return it, the next one you buy may have some real issues. Don't try and create an issue where there is none.

FlyFishingTN
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 13, 2013 08:39 |  #12

Nightcat I pretty much agree with you. However, when buying a lens I always consider everything that will affect resale. People want to know the date code for a reason. It has an effect on the value of the lens. New unused or otherwise. If I should decide to sell it next year, I'll post the date code and it will no longer be "new"... It'll be a 16 year old used lens.
Like I said it's not a huge deal. I do think a $200 price reduction would be a fair offer.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 13, 2013 08:58 as a reply to  @ FlyFishingTN's post |  #13

KirkS518 wrote in post #16523132 (external link)
Sounds like a perfect candidate for an "Item not as described" case to be opened. eBay does not like sellers representing 14 year old items as new. You would certainly be able to get a chunk of money back. What's the average sales price for a used lens?

FlyFishingTN wrote in post #16523235 (external link)
Yea it's a 300 2.8 and it is in new condition. I'm not really upset about it since it is in great condition. However, I was trying to get a newer lens because it does affect resale value. The add was very misleading. When I asked about the age (after the sale) he told me he thought it was a 2007. Anybody that owns a lens of that caliber likely knows about the date code. I don't feel screwed, just a little mislead. I paid more thinking it was a newer model lens.

Jerobean wrote in post #16523881 (external link)
the OP clearly states it's in new condition, just 14 years old.

What I gather from what you said, he bought the lens news as a retailer buyer. He is now selling a USED lens. Unless he is a retailer that had this sitting around in inventory since 1999, it is a USED lens. You bought a USED lens, not a new lens.

If I buy a new car from a dealer, have a flat bed bring it to my house, stick it in my garage and don't drive it for 15 years, can I sell it as new? No.

The seller described it as new, but it is used. Either ask for a discount down to the average selling price of a used lens, or open an Item Not as Described case.

This is an example of why people have problems on ebay. The item is represented as new, and it is not, but the seller gets away with it, and the buyer gets shafted (yes, I'm saying he got shafted), but does nothing about it. The seller (and others) just repeat the pattern, and one day someone gets seriously burnt.

Misrepresentation is misrepresentation. New is New, and Used is Used. In New Condition is Used in like new condition.

Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 13, 2013 09:00 |  #14

nightcat wrote in post #16523933 (external link)
What is the reason someone would want a new never used lens? The reason is, a new never used lens would be in pristine condition and there are no scratches on it anywhere. And that's what you received. I would try the lens and if the photos are great, I would keep the lens and be happy that you received a great copy. If you return it, the next one you buy may have some real issues. Don't try and create an issue where there is none.

The issue is the seller misrepresented the item as new.

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 13, 2013 09:02 |  #15

The non-IS isn't even made for -what- 10 years?

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

sponsored links

6,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you bought a lens on ebay
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.