Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 18 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 00:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NYC - gear choice

RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 18, 2013 00:50 |  #1

Hello,

Heading with my gf to NYC in three days. Not sure about what to bring really.

My gf will bring her 6D. I will bring my A7R but not sure if I should bring as well my 5D3. I guess I'll be shooting 95% of stills.

When it comes to glasses I was thinking of bringing the Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, TS-E 24mm, Sigma 35mm, 50mm L 1.0, and the 70-200 II. We'll also bring two manfrotto befree tripods and a gorilla tripod, even though I know tripods are forbidden in most places.

Would you bring the 5D3 as well? What about the choice of lenses?

Thank you for your input.

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

sponsored links
AlFooteIII
444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 18, 2013 09:10 |  #2

So, not traveling light, eh? :lol:

The first thing I'd cut back on is the three tripods. New York is a crowded place. As you say, no tripods in the museums and if you try to use one on the streets in touristy areas, you will be hated by the locals. You might bring one for a nice self portrait from DUMBO or in Central Park, but that's about it...

For the camera, if you've got a FF and a mirrorless, do you need another FF? Couldn't you just borrow the GF's 6D if there's a shot you need that the A7R can't handle?

As to glass, I'd say lose the 21 and the 35. The 14 will get you some nice wide shots of skyline and big buildings, if you really know how to use the TS, obviously a good choice in a city of architecture, the 50 is a gimme for street photography and the 70-200 I use all the time here.

Enjoy your trip!

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 18, 2013 11:03 |  #3

Thank you for your answer.

We don't intend to travel too light, photography being one of the main points of the trip :-)

We'll take only one tripod, for the occasional self portrait. We'll try not to be hated by the locals :p

I won't take the 5D3, as indeed, the 6D should be enough to get anything the A7R can't... The Fuji x100s will also always be in my handbag.

As for the glass, I'll stick to the 14, TS-E 24, 50 and 70-200.

Thanks again for the advice! ;)

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 18, 2013 11:10 |  #4

Where in the city do you plan on going and what kind of shots are you looking to get? I would think that would dictate what gear you need to bring. When I walk around downtown I rarely take more than my 5d2 and a couple of lenses (and most of the time just one lens).

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 18, 2013 11:16 |  #5

We plan to take the usual NYC tourist pictures :p, such as the top of the rock, empire state, Brooklyn bridge, liberty island, central park, etc. But we also want to go shoot in the deeper Queens. A friend of mine lives at Washington Heights, so we might also get some in Harlem/Bronx. I'd say all in all it will be mainly architecture and cityscape.

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 18, 2013 11:48 |  #6

For top of the rock you need to bring something stabilized if you want to get night time shots. I was there a couple weeks ago and they have gotten real strict on the no tripod rule. I had a Gorillapod mini with me and they wouldn't even let me take that up. Also wouldn't go walking around in Queens or the Bronx (I'm from the Bronx) with all of your gear. NYC is not as bad as people make it out to be but there are certainly an good amount of opportunistic thieves. You can get some great shots of the statue from liberty state park on the Jersey side and Battery park on the city side if you don't want to freeze your tail off on the ferry.

Have an awesome time. There is no shortage of stuff to shoot here. Hopefully all this nasty black slush will be gone by the time you arrive. Its supposed to rain all weekend, that usually helps.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 19, 2013 11:43 |  #7

You probably do not realize how crowded Manhattan can be. At a touristy location the tripod will be knocked over by a stranger. Not because he/she got angry at you, but because the place IS crowded!

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 19, 2013 13:03 |  #8

I've been there already, and yes, touristic spots are crowded. The tripods will be for use on non touristic areas only where we'll make sure not to bother anyone.

zhengf2
285 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 19, 2013 15:42 |  #9

jptsr1 wrote in post #16537061 (external link)
For top of the rock you need to bring something stabilized if you want to get night time shots. I was there a couple weeks ago and they have gotten real strict on the no tripod rule. I had a Gorillapod mini with me and they wouldn't even let me take that up. Also wouldn't go walking around in Queens or the Bronx (I'm from the Bronx) with all of your gear. NYC is not as bad as people make it out to be but there are certainly an good amount of opportunistic thieves. You can get some great shots of the statue from liberty state park on the Jersey side and Battery park on the city side if you don't want to freeze your tail off on the ferry.

Have an awesome time. There is no shortage of stuff to shoot here. Hopefully all this nasty black slush will be gone by the time you arrive. Its supposed to rain all weekend, that usually helps.

That's a bit odd, i was at top of the rock on thanksgiving and there were a surprising number of people with tripods out and extended (but not spread)

Even more people had their tripod not extended but spread out on the walls (both proper tripods and gorillapods). The only time i heard a complaint was when one guy tried to extend his tripod AND spread them, the guard told him to tuck it in, but nothing too bad

it might just depend on how busy they are on the day

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 19, 2013 15:46 |  #10

zhengf2 wrote in post #16540559 (external link)
That's a bit odd, i was at top of the rock on thanksgiving and there were a surprising number of people with tripods out and extended (but not spread)

Even more people had their tripod not extended but spread out on the walls (both proper tripods and gorillapods). The only time i heard a complaint was when one guy tried to extend his tripod AND spread them, the guard told him to tuck it in, but nothing too bad

it might just depend on how busy they are on the day

Could be but every time I've gone (been up half a dozen times) with a pod I've been hassled. I've gotten my gorilla up a couple of times but even then the guards have hassled me. This last time they told me no at the security gate. Had to leave it and pick it up when I came down.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,597 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 20, 2013 20:38 |  #11

Bring the 5d3 as well, so you dont need to switch lenses all the time.

Gearlist

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 29, 2013 08:03 |  #12

I didnt bring the 5d3 and indeed could've come in handy in some situations (for fast af). All in all I mainly used the 70-200, the 24-70 and the ts-e 24. I did some night shots with the 50 f1.0 as well... I barely used the 14 and the 100.

For the record I went two times to the top of the rock (for sunrise and sunset) and I could unfold the tripod at sunrise but not at sunset. Luckily I had that small gorilla like tripod that I could use for sunset.

Thanks again for the tips guys, really had an amazing time (am leaving tomorrow).

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 02, 2014 10:00 |  #13

was in NYC on Dec 26-29 and here's what I brought with me

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7358/11551725203_12c8cb251e.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/itaemo/11551725​203/  (external link)
NYC trip gear (external link) by earl.dieta (external link), on Flickr

I used the Ricoh GR for most of my street shots.
The M9 w/ 90mm for some tele shoots and at night it was the CV 35mm 1.4
Didn't use the Xpan much but I still used 3 rolls.

Good call on the Gorillapod! it's small that you can hide it in your bag and at the top of the rock, you can wrap it up to one of the rails up there.

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

sponsored links

2,203 views & 0 likes for this thread
NYC - gear choice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.