Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 05:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Issues with 100-400L Series - Help?

notastockpikr
427 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 19, 2013 11:29 |  #16

Birdsfurandfins wrote in post #16539778 (external link)
It is not really about criticising the lens, I think it is a great lens, the question is, is it working right?

You didn't confirm whether you were using a filter? If you are, then take the filter OFF.

From the the images you posted, the lens might need some callibration.

One other point, 1/320 is not nearly fast enough shutter speed for birding. The minimum is 1/500 and the f-stop should be at least f/5.6.

How old is the lens? If this was my lens, I would return it and get another 100-400L. The 100-400L is one of the Canon lenses I would not buy used along with the 50L.

sponsored links
Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,220 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined May 2008

Dec 19, 2013 12:01 |  #17

Looking at those two example shots, I would not be satisfied either. You should be able to get much crisper images than that. The shutter speed of the 2nd example is 1/1600, which should also be fine -- even handheld -- as long as you are holding the camera + lens properly. As someone else mentioned, you still have not answered whether you have a filter on the lens. If you do, take it off and try again. If there is no filter, I would either send the lens back for a replacement, or send it in to Canon for calibration if a return is not possible.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 19, 2013 12:10 |  #18

Lowner wrote in post #16539510 (external link)
Don't expect super crisp wide open aperture images, that's not the 100-400's strength. Its an excellent motorsports lens at sensible f/numbers and with a monopod. Birding is not my thing so I have never tried it on that subject.

My friend and I both have this lens. We have shot them side-by-side for Lacrosse, same day, same angles. We swapped the lenses many times.

His copy wide-open at 400 is a touch soft. Mine is sharp as a tack.

They do vary.

His felt just a bit loose when mounted on the camera body. Just a little bit more play.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 19, 2013 14:40 as a reply to  @ S.Horton's post |  #19

I had a used one and always assumed it was my fault - I only got reasonable (but not good) images a 7.1 upwards, useless at f5.6.

Took it to workshop photographing birds in flight, tutor had a go - and was unable to get a sharp image (no filter, 7d body) on a tripod of a sitting bird at 5.6.

lens has since gone - probably why it was for sale in the first place.

my 28-300 has taken its place (and I am also looking at a 400 f5.6 for the long end)

Gear List

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,306 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Dec 19, 2013 17:29 |  #20

My 100-400 'keeper' rate definitely isn't at 100% But the keepers are great.

FWIW, I try to keep my aperture at f/9. That seems to be the sweet spot for my copy. The lens hood helps as well. If the sun isn't directly behind you, some of the lack of pop could be from flare caused by the sun shining on the front element.

Birdsfurandfins
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 19, 2013 17:36 |  #21

Thanks so much to everyone who has helped on this forum, just great to have so much experience to turn to. No, I don't have any filters on these images and all the other shots I have taken have had this same soft finish, tis back to the shop tomorrow morning i my conclusion! So much positive feedback about the lens in general means I will try again with a different version perhaps, or may even save a few more pennies and try for a new, not second hand one. Thanks again.

500D, favourite lens EF 70-300IS

illusionest
5D MkII? CHECK!
932 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 19, 2013 17:39 |  #22

I think i agree with most people here, I've been using mine for years and a lot of it comes down to technique. Some tips:

- I try to shoot F/8 whenever possible. It seems to produce results when not fully-open. This is common for most zoom lenses.
- I try to shoot as fast as i can for shutter speed, I actually stopped using my 40D and swapped over to a 70D yesterday because the 40D ISO was a bit of a bottleneck. But anyways, that's a different story. Fast as possible, i think a poster mentioned 1/1000 on the first page. That's ideal.
- and this may sound silly but this may happen too, but make sure the zoom ring is tightened so there's no zooming movement when you're taking photos, because - of course, that also affects the focusing. it is a push/pull lense so it might droop forward / backwards a bit. You'll eventually get used to tightening the ring with one hand :)

Enjoy

Matthew Law
Gallery (external link) | My Gear | IG: @matthew.law (external link)

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 19, 2013 17:55 |  #23

S.Horton wrote in post #16540001 (external link)
My friend and I both have this lens. We have shot them side-by-side for Lacrosse, same day, same angles. We swapped the lenses many times.

His copy wide-open at 400 is a touch soft. Mine is sharp as a tack.

They do vary.

His felt just a bit loose when mounted on the camera body. Just a little bit more play.

I too have this issue, whether it's mounted on my 40D or 7D.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

itw
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 19, 2013 18:19 |  #24

Birdsfurandfins wrote in post #16540844 (external link)
Thanks so much to everyone who has helped on this forum, just great to have so much experience to turn to. No, I don't have any filters on these images and all the other shots I have taken have had this same soft finish, tis back to the shop tomorrow morning i my conclusion! So much positive feedback about the lens in general means I will try again with a different version perhaps, or may even save a few more pennies and try for a new, not second hand one. Thanks again.

You will come back and fill us in on your findings.... yes ?

You can call me Ned
Walk softly and carry a Big White lens

cerett
821 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 19, 2013 18:27 as a reply to  @ Canajun's post |  #25

I sold mine sometime back because of mixed results. I have since heard some positive reviews. However, this lens has been around for a while and really needs a "Mark II" version. It does not do well when compared with the new Nikon 80-400.

https://www.martinfeld​manphotography.com (external link)

RunAmok
96 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 19, 2013 18:37 |  #26

I didn't see it mentioned, but did you try setting MFA?

Canon 7D + grip | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | EF 400 f/5.6L
flickr (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 20, 2013 04:23 |  #27

Birdsfurandfins wrote in post #16539496 (external link)
Attached are two cropped

How much cropping?

If you're zooming in and cropping a small part of the image then no lens will give a satisfactory image of far-off bird.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 20, 2013 05:14 |  #28

There are copy variations. I saw that across a few different copies myself. I would try another copy if possible.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 20, 2013 05:28 |  #29

Birdsfurandfins wrote in post #16540844 (external link)

yes, those pics don't look too sharp. it should be more "crisp" at all focal ranges and apertures. get if fixed, adjusted or try another copy

not a bird ....

100-400
f5.6
400mm
60D

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7391/11419532923_65aa753a7a_c.jpg

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 20, 2013 06:09 |  #30

Great 100% crop! or is it since that is what we are talking about?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

5,148 views & 0 likes for this thread
Issues with 100-400L Series - Help?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.