Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 05:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Issues with 100-400L Series - Help?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 03, 2014 09:35 |  #46

Birdsfurandfins wrote in post #16574207 (external link)
hello all, after much discussion Mifsuds agreed to take the lens back. They tested against another 100-400 they had in stock and confirmed the other version was 'much sharper' but refused to refund the return postage on the grounds that this was variability within Canon's products and not their fault. I disagree about the second part of that statement, if you are selling a E++ lens and don't both to test it against other lenses or to see if it is sharp throughout the range then I reckon you should pay the postage. They continue to disagree. I have since purchased the 70-300L from MPB photographic.

Thanks again for your invaluable assistance.

IQ falls on both the camera and lens, so it is impossible to really guarantee a lens is sharp for all cameras, due to numerous variables (body, person, etc). Any used equipment rating is really on its appearance as compared to new, and whether everything is operational.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

MikeBurtonPhillipson
256 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 03, 2014 10:00 |  #47

Should be sharper than the results you're getting... below is a shot i took with my 100-400, wide open at f5.6, 400mm handheld at 1/320 sec.. so even with my dodgy technique i still get sharp results, the 100-400 is a cracking lens IMO..

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7764664202_c68bdc22f7_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/30388254@N06/7​764664202/  (external link)
Female blackbird (external link) by Mike Burton Phillipson (external link), on Flickr

5DmkIII | 7D | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS | 100mm F2.8 Macro | 15-85 IS | 400D | Tokina 10-17 fisheye | 400D Ikelite Underwater housing |
http://www.mikeburtonp​hillipson.co.uk (external link)

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 03, 2014 14:22 |  #48

Birdsfurandfins wrote in post #16574207 (external link)
hello all, after much discussion Mifsuds agreed to take the lens back. They tested against another 100-400 they had in stock and confirmed the other version was 'much sharper' but refused to refund the return postage on the grounds that this was variability within Canon's products and not their fault. I disagree about the second part of that statement, if you are selling a E++ lens and don't both to test it against other lenses or to see if it is sharp throughout the range then I reckon you should pay the postage. They continue to disagree. I have since purchased the 70-300L from MPB photographic.

Thanks again for your invaluable assistance.

I did complain to Canon Service centre that it was soft (and seemed softer after a repair) and was told "it was within Canon's tolerances" - so a catch-all phrase they obviously often use if a lens ins unacceptablely (to us) soft.

Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
Issues with 100-400L Series - Help?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.