Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 20:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fstoppers Flashdisc

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 19, 2013 20:22 |  #1

It may just be another small flash gimmick or it may be a useful and convenient tool only time will tell. Since I am a sucker for all things having to do with small flash I placed my order and they arrived today. Over the next few weeks I will be testing them and comparing them to some other small flash modifiers to see how the stack up. My first opinon is that they are well designed and well built. I will provide some examples as I put them through the paces. If anybody else has anything to add or images to post feel free to do so.

http://fstoppers.com …ailable-in-limited-supply (external link)

Rand

Gear

sponsored links
smooth3000
Goldmember
1,520 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined May 2011

Dec 19, 2013 20:25 |  #2

This reminds me a lot of the rogue flash bender which does the same thing and more.

Website (external link) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) |Instagram (external link)
D750

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 19, 2013 21:08 |  #3

smooth3000 wrote in post #16541214 (external link)
This reminds me a lot of the rogue flash bender which does the same thing and more.

Similar in design to the Rogue XL Pro but not the older single panel Flash Benders. I will do a comparison with the XL Pro and the original Flash Benders. The XL Pro has a larger overall lighting surface area but is not as compact for storage as the Flashdisc. It will also have square catch lights rather than round which makes a difference to some people.

Rand

Gear

545iBMW
473 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 19, 2013 22:31 |  #4

Been thinking about something like this. Looks like a great product I could use often.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 19, 2013 23:16 |  #5

Selling one for $33 by chance?

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 20, 2013 00:10 |  #6

Rand, Your PM is full :-(

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 20, 2013 00:15 |  #7

dmward wrote in post #16541624 (external link)
Rand, Your PM is full :-(

Not anymore ;)

Rand

Gear

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 20, 2013 00:17 |  #8

flowrider wrote in post #16541536 (external link)
Selling one for $33 by chance?

Thanks for the offer but I have plans for 3 of them if they work the way I hope.

Rand

Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 20, 2013 09:15 |  #9

It looks interesting Rand. Thanks for pointing it out.
I'm wondering how it would work with a Cheetah Light.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,210 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 20, 2013 09:36 |  #10

Very interesting idea. I like my flashbender XL but its a bit heavy and doesnt store very easily. This seems like a nice solution, although the flahsbender still has the advantage of being able to used as a traditional bounce card.

Aressem
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 20, 2013 10:34 |  #11

brilliant.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 20, 2013 17:56 |  #12

dmward wrote in post #16542176 (external link)
It looks interesting Rand. Thanks for pointing it out.
I'm wondering how it would work with a Cheetah Light.

When I get a chance I will take some pictures of how this is put together but I do not really see how it would be able to work with the Cheetah Lights. It uses a large elastic band to fit around the head of the flash for mounting. I would be worried about the sides rubbing against the bulb and melting the material.

I was using it last night with it mounted on an "on camera" flash and it worked really well as it has no weight at all. My main plan was using it for some product photography when the items are too large for my light table.

Rand

Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 20, 2013 22:28 |  #13

Rand,
Those on the speedlite then through diffusion tissue would be a nice soft light for product work.
So the spot where the flash head goes isn't deep enough for a bare bulb to stick in with the fastening ring or what ever around the head?

Just a thought.

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2013 00:20 |  #14

dmward wrote in post #16543894 (external link)
Rand,
Those on the speedlite then through diffusion tissue would be a nice soft light for product work.
So the spot where the flash head goes isn't deep enough for a bare bulb to stick in with the fastening ring or what ever around the head?

Just a thought.

Yes the band fits around the Cheetah Light head and the bulb sticks through it up into the Flashdisc but the bulb is within mm's of making contact with the material on the back panel and there is very little clearance to the front panel of maybe about 1/2". I am afraid the heat from the bulb will melt the fabric. The elastic band is sewed to the rear panel so the flash when mounted is sucked up against the back panel. I suppose you could squeeze a spacer in there to center the flash bulb between the two panels but I still feel there would not be enough clearance to keep from burning or melting the fabric. It works really well with a Speedlite so for myself that is what I will stick with.

Rand

Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 21, 2013 23:38 |  #15

If it makes smooth light with speedlite that's good enough for me as well.

sponsored links

9,448 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fstoppers Flashdisc
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.