Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 20 Dec 2013 (Friday) 05:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading...i do photo/video work

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 21, 2013 20:13 |  #16

SillyGuy wrote in post #16545336 (external link)
DiMAn0684, how is that asrock z77 board working out now? any issues?

Had the board (Asrock Z77 Extreme 4) since April, system runs absolutely fine. If you believe that your motherboard is faulty you might be able to have it replaced under warranty. Several reputable manufacturers offer 3-5 yr warranty terms on their boards nowadays.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

sponsored links
SillyGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 21, 2013 20:38 |  #17

How many gb of ram are u guys running? I was thinking of upgrading from 16 to 32gb

My Website (external link) | My Blog (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 21, 2013 20:43 |  #18

gotaudi wrote in post #16542563 (external link)
Either you have a hardware issue (probably a dying hard drive or bad ram) or you didn't setup your computer correctly software wise. your hardware is as good as a Mac if not better. I say you take some time to learn about your computer and maybe find out what the problem is. You learn something and you save some money win win for you. Macs have hardware/software problems too just as often as PC.

Agreed, hardware issue or some sort of driver issue as well possibly. I would run a debugger on your memory.dmp to get more of an idea of what the system is experiencing when it bluescreens.

That said, given the reputation of those OCZ SSD drives maybe that's the cause of your BSODs.

SillyGuy wrote in post #16545336 (external link)
DiMAn0684, how is that asrock z77 board working out now? any issues?

I've been running the ASRock z77 Extreme 4 for just about a year with no trouble from it. I have an i7 3770K, 32GB DDR3 1866 and plenty of drives, SSDs and other stuff hooked up to it and it's been solid as a rock. Considering its extremely high popularity and good feedback scores most places, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Regarding your RAM question, most of the time 16GB is plenty but I have pushed my system to around 26GB when merging a number of images in to a pano. A year ago I wasn't sure how much I'd need 32GB and truth be told a good majority of the time it's overkill. That said, not too long after I built my system RAM started going up quite a bit and now it would cost me more than 2x what I paid last December for the same amount and type of memory. I'm glad I did it.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 21, 2013 22:27 |  #19

SillyGuy wrote in post #16545873 (external link)
How many gb of ram are u guys running? I was thinking of upgrading from 16 to 32gb

16GB here, I've never gotten close to using it all up. It's good as a disk cache though.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 22, 2013 11:19 |  #20

tim wrote in post #16543186 (external link)
I don't think you're right there. System monitoring would usually make it worse, not better.

Based on my experience with System Meachanic it has helped me in re-aligning files, re-link shortcuts, and make my system boot-up quicker and makes it run more efficiently. I have yet to experience any instability.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 22, 2013 14:14 |  #21

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #16546940 (external link)
Based on my experience with System Meachanic it has helped me in re-aligning files, re-link shortcuts, and make my system boot-up quicker and makes it run more efficiently. I have yet to experience any instability.

That's good, but no such software should be necessary. The only utilities I run are CCleaner from time to time and Defraggler on a weekly schedule for my spinning disks.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 23, 2013 11:25 |  #22

I agree with pretty much what others are getting at. It's a little premature for upgrading. I'd recommend a fresh clean install with the latest drivers for all components attached to the mobo. The blue screen errors sound like ram issues to me, though.

Normally, I wouldn't say to bother with adding ram over 16gb; but since you're doing video also, doubling up and replacing might be the right course of action. Of course, that's just guessing without proper testing.

SillyGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 23, 2013 13:40 |  #23

WEll i opened up my task manager and saw that I was constantly pushing past the 16gb on my ram. i also did a memory diagnostic and found out htat my ram was bad too.

i replaced it w/32gb of ram and so far, diagnostics say it's good and my system has not crashed yet ;D

i recieved an RMA for my motherboard and I'll be sending that in too

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 23, 2013 14:38 |  #24

SillyGuy wrote in post #16549380 (external link)
WEll i opened up my task manager and saw that I was constantly pushing past the 16gb on my ram. i also did a memory diagnostic and found out htat my ram was bad too.

i replaced it w/32gb of ram and so far, diagnostics say it's good and my system has not crashed yet ;D

i recieved an RMA for my motherboard and I'll be sending that in too

Why are you replacing the board if the problem was with the RAM module(s)?

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

SillyGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 23, 2013 14:41 |  #25

USB 3.0 ports have never worked :(

patrick023
542 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 23, 2013 17:48 |  #26

If you installed your OS with faulty RAM, it may be a good idea to do a complete re-install too otherwise you may have continued stability issues down the road. Hardware wise, I'd stick with what you've got. Current Intel CPU's aren't that much faster at similar clock speeds. It seems like they've been more concerned about lowering power usage and heat with the past couple of generations of chips.

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 23, 2013 18:24 |  #27

No one reads anymore. lol

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 24, 2013 11:01 |  #28

On a video benchmark I saw not too long ago the crossover point for RAM efficiency was around 32GB. After that, performance improvements (in video) are marginal, while the crossover for still images is much lower. Personally, below 32 GB, I've never seen a computer go slower after adding more RAM.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

SillyGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 24, 2013 13:04 |  #29

I put in 32 gb of ram, and ran some memory tests...all stable...all checked out 100%!

I also pulled up my memory manager and found out that one of the reasons why my computer was screwing up was because when i would encode something on Premiere I would push 18gb.......which was over my original 16gb amount :)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 24, 2013 16:25 |  #30

If an app is using 18GB the changes are some of it can be swapped to virtual memory without sacrificing performance. Still, 32GB will be better.

Also, that is unrelated to stability, but if the computer's stable with different memory you've found the cause of the problems :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

3,923 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading...i do photo/video work
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.