Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Dec 2013 (Friday) 23:45
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How do you shoot??"
I shoot portraits and turn camera clockwise
11.9%
I shoot portraits and turn camera anticlockwise
88.1%

168 voters, 168 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When taking a shot in portrait mode to you turn the camera clockwise or anticlockwise

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 20, 2013 23:45 |  #1

When taking a shot in portrait mode to you turn the camera clockwise (shutter release button bottom) or anticlockwise (shutter release button top).
The reason I ask is because i have an off camera flash bracket and have to have it with the handle on the right (which I think is not how it was designed) but I shoot portraits with the shutter button top (anticlockwise) so need to have the flash bracket with handle on right in order to swivel for flash to be on top.
I tried the bracket the other way round (handle on left. How it was designed I think) but just CANNOT shoot with shutter release button down (turning the camera clockwise) I just seem to lose the buttons and end up having to physically look at the camera.
There is probably no right or wrong way but just wondering how others shoot portraits.?

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 20, 2013 23:58 |  #2

I voted clockwise, just to be a rebel. ;)

I don't use a flash bracket. I bounce the flash, and if there is nothing to bounce off of, I use a large rogue flashbender with diffuser and simply aim the head up and rotate the flashbender.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Nick_Reading.UK
THREAD ­ STARTER
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 21, 2013 00:09 |  #3

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16544026 (external link)
I voted clockwise, just to be a rebel. ;)

I don't use a flash bracket. I bounce the flash, and if there is nothing to bounce off of, I use a large rogue flashbender with diffuser and simply aim the head up and rotate the flashbender.

Yes I bounce too but need the bracket as I took some shoots in portrait a couple of weeks back without the bracket so flash on hotshoe meaning it was on the left hand side but ended up with right hand side people shadow :( hence the use of a bracket..

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 21, 2013 00:31 |  #4

When I get home I'll try to find some shots where I used a flashbender with the camera vertical and see what the shadows look like, then I can share it here. I don't recall being in any way offended by them. I was shooting that way again today but being on vacation I can't just load up some pictures right now.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

s.l.k
143 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 21, 2013 02:03 |  #5

I've always shot portraits with the shutter on top. My hands just naturally lean that way, holding it the other way feels like my wrist is going to snap. Without thinking I always shoot like that even on a tripod.

Feedback

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 21, 2013 02:26 |  #6

Anticlockwise, because that's where the shutter button on the grip is located.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 21, 2013 02:27 |  #7

I didn't vote on the poll, because there is not a choice for "both", or "it depends".

I shoot either clockwise-turn or counter-clockwise turn, depending on the position my body is in at the time I am shooting.

If lying prone, and holding the camera right down at ground level, then it is invariably counter-clockwise that I turn the camera, because if I turned it clockwise in this position, the shutter button & other controls would be pinned against the ground, and inaccessible. But when I am in other positions it goes either way, and I have never stopped to think about what factors determine which way I turn the camera in different situations.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 21, 2013 02:49 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

^^
+1

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Geejay
783 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 21, 2013 02:55 |  #9

If battery grip on, then pretty much always anticlockwise. Without the grip either way..

You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up.

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2013 03:54 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

philwillmedia wrote in post #16544166 (external link)
Anticlockwise, because that's where the shutter button on the grip is located.

Agreed. Vaguely reminiscent of John Dillinger, isn't it?

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

milleniumking
339 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 21, 2013 04:16 |  #11

I like shooting "normally" (shutter button pointed upwards). Find I can get more of a "rule of thirds" thing going on...

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,491 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 21, 2013 07:55 |  #12

With a standard SLR I rotate it to place the shutter button at the bottom.

With a 1D, I rotate it to use the second shutter button, which is the opposite direction.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 21, 2013 07:58 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #13

I have a grip so the only choice is counter-clockwise.

But, before I had a grip I rotated it clockwise. I hated the elbow sticking out thing and liked tucking my elbow in close to my body, so rotating it clockwise with the button down felt better.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 21, 2013 08:21 |  #14

Anticlockwise is better, as you can grip the lens for extra support with the weight going directly down without any bend in your second arm.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,579 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 21, 2013 08:37 as a reply to  @ Mornnb's post |  #15

Counterclockwise. I don't use a grip, but I've done it that way since I got my first SLR nearly 40 years ago. That comes from having manual focus and manual aperture ring on the lens operated by the left hand (and also supporting the lens) while the shutter was under the right index finger. You had to go that way. Anything else was hopelessly clumsy. Now, with most of my shooting using zoom lenses, I need the same orientation for the zoom ring (and occasional manual focus adjustments). Rotating the other way just feels wrong.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sponsored links

4,037 views & 0 likes for this thread
When taking a shot in portrait mode to you turn the camera clockwise or anticlockwise
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.