Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 18:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quick AF Microadjustment question

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 22, 2013 18:04 |  #1

Does the + move the focus in front of the subject and the - behind the subject? Or the other way round?
See what I am thinking is... That if you adjust to focus a couple of mm in front of subject you might get a better in focus keeper rate, but of course this will not work in a really shallow DOF Situation. Anyone else thought about this?

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,491 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 22, 2013 18:29 |  #2

+ puts the plane beyond the subject.

Curious, why do you think setting it to front focus a bit will make it more accurate? My experience is that setting it to be perfect yields the most accuracy.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 22, 2013 18:33 |  #3

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16547664 (external link)
Does the + move the focus in front of the subject and the - behind the subject? Or the other way round?
See what I am thinking is... That if you adjust to focus a couple of mm in front of subject you might get a better in focus keeper rate, but of course this will not work in a really shallow DOF Situation. Anyone else thought about this?

I believe it's the other way around. That is, + moves the focus point farther from the camera and - moves the focus point closer. If you have a setup that gives you a clear result of where the focus point is, a few test shots at 0 then + and - 10 should show clearly which way it goes. If you don't have a test setup that shows clearly where focus and dof are, may be better not to fiddle with micro adjust.

I did consider along the lines you are. I almost always focus to a front part of my subject so why throw away DOF in front of this point. It might be worthwhile in very specific set ups (specific lens, portraits, known f stop, at a specific distance) but in the end I decided it wasn't worth sacrificing sharpest focus at my focus point, especially as you noted with fast lenses wide open. I have heard of photographers setting the camera to focus back a bit for exactly this reason. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will chime in.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

Nick_Reading.UK
THREAD ­ STARTER
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 22, 2013 18:34 |  #4

JeffreyG wrote in post #16547697 (external link)
+ puts the plane beyond the subject.

Curious, why do you think setting it to front focus a bit will make it more accurate? My experience is that setting it to be perfect yields the most accuracy.

Not more accurate, just maybe more of a keeper rate, example if you focus on a tip of someone's nose but move the camera a fraction then the tip of the nose might be out a little.. Just thoughts nothing else.. :-)

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2013 03:51 |  #5

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16547703 (external link)
Not more accurate, just maybe more of a keeper rate, example if you focus on a tip of someone's nose but move the camera a fraction then the tip of the nose might be out a little.. Just thoughts nothing else.. :-)

Or, you could move the camera a fraction in the opposite direction and burger it all up even more :confused:

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,113 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quick AF Microadjustment question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.