Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 22 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 20:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Countryside, NC

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 22, 2013 20:30 |  #1

I've just got underway working on a series of Eastern NC. This will be a work in progress. I'll be Shooting the old and worn out to the most modern aspect in ENC. I'll post more here in this thread as time goes by. People will be a tough nut to crack as most around here do not like their photo taken and plastered all over the internet in this current climate. I'm not the artsy fartsy type guy but I do like a good and interesting shot and any critiquing will be much appreciated. Thanks

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5547/11501062975_77f29f8172_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …12177035@N05/11​501062975/  (external link)
Countryside (external link) by nelsonjohn769@ymail.co​m (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3752/11503132144_47d90d99a2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …12177035@N05/11​503132144/  (external link)
Grainery 21-11-2013 (external link) by nelsonjohn769@ymail.co​m (external link), on Flickr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Gart
462 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 22, 2013 21:29 |  #2

The first one I think I get the feel you are trying to convey.

The horizontal shadows in the foreground distract from going back to the building. It makes me notice two things: the piece of lumber by the water held up with the stakes and the uppermost lines lead to a very small portion of asphalt. Neither of these add to the shot. Possibly moving a few feet to the left would have eliminated both of these from view along with the fire hydrant and power poles.

For me the second one is too dark. Way too much dark space that doesn't tell me anything about what the story is here. Shoot it too bring the colors of the foliage out which would still contrast well with the sky.

My two cents only.

dlos
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 23, 2013 06:36 |  #3

Looking forward to this series, kinda love ENC, haven't figured out why though, lol! Is it possible for you to include the towns your shots are from?

I like the first shot better than the 2nd, would have been nice to see more of the building, looks to be exposed well.

Second shot seems a little underexposed or something. Also, the silos appear to be leaning to the right some.

Canon 5D3 | 60D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS |EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF-S 10-22mm

Qbx
Goldmember
3,958 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 23, 2013 07:18 |  #4

Agree about seeing more of the old structure in #1.
In #2 you might brighten it a bit and straighten the verticals.

-- Image Editing OK --

cerett
821 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 23, 2013 11:24 |  #5

Qbx wrote in post #16548678 (external link)
Agree about seeing more of the old structure in #1.
In #2 you might brighten it a bit and straighten the verticals.

Yes, on Number 1, there is too much foreground and not enough of the interesting house. It is distracting. I would go back and shoot this again. Great potential.

https://www.martinfeld​manphotography.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

843 views & 0 likes for this thread
Countryside, NC
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.