Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Dec 2013 (Friday) 14:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another newbie question

silma
489 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 27, 2013 14:57 |  #1

I own a 60D and am going to get a flash for it. i've never used external flashes so the whole thing is pretty new and undiscovered. My first choiche was canon 430 ex ii, so that I can be sure it it perfectrly matches my camera. now I've found out that I can use any other simple manual flash as external flash as my pop up flash would be the only "trigger", ,y camera doesn't have an IR remote controller for axternal flashes.
So what would be the advantages of a canon speedlite over a sevond party cheaper flash?
Sorry for my bad English, hope you understand what I mean

my flickr (external link)

my dreamstime (external link)

sponsored links
nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 27, 2013 21:04 |  #2

Silma, pop up flashes are generally not controllable, so can't be used as a trigger. The camera doesn't "know" about the other flash and will try to light the scene with just the pop up. you will never get a good exposure that way.

430EXII is a fine flash - a good choice. You can do a lot with it on camera by bouncing it off other surfaces (walls, ceiling, etc.) If money is an issue, the YN flashes also can be good. I have several and they work just fine with my canon gear.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

silma
THREAD ­ STARTER
489 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 28, 2013 02:10 |  #3

nes_matt wrote in post #16558571 (external link)
Silma, pop up flashes are generally not controllable, so can't be used as a trigger. The camera doesn't "know" about the other flash and will try to light the scene with just the pop up. you will never get a good exposure that way.

430EXII is a fine flash - a good choice. You can do a lot with it on camera by bouncing it off other surfaces (walls, ceiling, etc.) If money is an issue, the YN flashes also can be good. I have several and they work just fine with my canon gear.

From what I've read my camera body, 60d, can control externa flashes using the pop up flash as a trigger...or not?

If yes, what would be the difference between a canon spedlite like the 430 and a cheaper option?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,585 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 28, 2013 02:47 |  #4

silma wrote in post #16558948 (external link)
From what I've read my camera body, 60d, can control externa flashes using the pop up flash as a trigger

You are correct. The built in flash can tell an off camera canon flash what to do. I'm not sure what models but think it is just the 430EXII, 580EXII AND 600 EX. I think there are also some other brands that support this mode.

This works well in controlled indoor conditions where the off camera flash is more or less in front of the camera, so it can see the flash pulses. Outside in bright light it might not work so well.

A generally better option is to buy a set of radio triggers that work at greater distances and in any light or position relative to the camera.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 28, 2013 05:46 |  #5

silma wrote in post #16558948 (external link)
From what I've read my camera body, 60d, can control externa flashes using the pop up flash as a trigger...or not?

If yes, what would be the difference between a canon spedlite like the 430 and a cheaper option?

Yes it can and here is Canons video tutorial explaining just that: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=p-in23ZXErM (external link)

You can also use your pop up flash to fire flashes that have an optical trigger just make sure that you use manual flash mode.

Rand

Gear

silma
THREAD ­ STARTER
489 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 28, 2013 08:55 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #6

Thanks everybody, I've got a feeling that using strobes is kind of easier than explaining it...best thing is to try them and see the results.
Another question: I've read than I can use a shutter speed faster than 1/200 if the speedlite is on camera (let's say I want to shoot a portrait against a very bright background without burning it); willI be able to use fast shutter speeds when the flash is controlled via pop up flash?

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 28, 2013 10:01 |  #7

Canon 60d has a sync speed of 1/250 sec. Above that, your flash off camera will require HSS. But it cannot be fired by your pop up, if your using HSS. I think you will need some radio triggers for that.

Jim
Gear List

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 28, 2013 10:09 |  #8

Also if you have yet to purchase a flash, I recommend the Yongnuo YN565ex (no HSS) or the Yongnuo YN568ex or exII (HSS capable). Both units will work wirelessly with your pop up flash very well indoors. You can get them here: http://thephotogadget.​com …-wireless-ttl-flash-canon (external link)

Jim
Gear List

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 28, 2013 22:03 |  #9

just make sure you understand: a "simple manual flash" as you say in your first post will not work with your onboard flash. It must be one that is explicitly capable of Canon ETTL

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

silma
THREAD ­ STARTER
489 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 29, 2013 17:18 |  #10

Thanks everybody for the help.I've just ordered the 430 ex ii, the yongnuo are currently out of stock here in Italy so I decided to go the easy way with canon as I will have time to learn about light without bothering with hardware matchings.
First I wanna learn using the flash on the hot shoe and bouncing the light around to see what happens, after that I'll move to external flash options...

sponsored links

1,373 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another newbie question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.